• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here with my old grandma God rest her soul. She would cook any wild game for me [except she drew the line at snapping turtle after a particularly bad experience lol].

Her gravy was similar to what Hardee's used to serve, which is not the same now, changed for worse. There is a Southern chain called Jack's that makes what I consider authentic old Southern style gravy.

Her biscuits were the tall fluffy type, as opposed to the little flat cookie type some ladies make. Big tall biscuits aka "cat head biscuits". Perfect for gravy.
I'm seeing a theme here. Grandma's are awesome. Really miss mine. She passed back in '88. I also had the same problem with snapping turtles. She wouldn't fool with them. Luckily my buddy's (the guy I always hunted and fished with) mom was full blooded German and that woman could cook. We just had to clean them and she did the rest. And I also love Jacks. I think they've got the best chain fast food joint breakfast around.

My favorite way is fried. Piece them out, put the prices in a pressure pot, just enough water to cover,about a half dollar sized pinch of salt in your palm in the water. Let the top do it's hula dance for 10-12 minutes, place the pieces on a paper towel and pat dry. Dredge them as you would if you were frying chicken, fry the squirrel until golden brown and enjoy. If you like dark meat chicken, you'll like squirrel. The pressure pot step isn't mandatory, but I do it because it guarantees your squirrel will be tender. Dangit I'm hungry now
Decided this morning that I’m going to give that a try. Need to get one of those small pressure pots first. My fried squirrels have great Flavor but they are too darn tough. Don’t like to fry them too slow due to them becoming too greasy. I’m thinking a small pressure pot like you mentioned will do the trick. Tender them up first then fry.

Thanks for posting that, Tom.

Wonder if any other squirrel hunters here have experienced this.

During evening hunts when squirrel activity is high, before they head for the nest, I’ve noticed the woods go completely quiet for no known reason. Usually a squirrel barks an alert before the silence.

When I look around to see what caused the squirrels to freeze or head for cover I have noticed a hawk or owl has moved into the area. That usually means the hunt is over for the evening.

A good many evening hints have ended for me like this as the owl population seems fairly high where I hunt.

Wonder if any other squirrel hunters here have experienced this.

During evening hunts when squirrel activity is high, before they head for the nest, I’ve noticed the woods go completely quiet for no known reason. Usually a squirrel barks an alert before the silence.

When I look around to see what caused the squirrels to freeze or head for cover I have noticed a hawk or owl has moved into the area. That usually means the hunt is over for the evening.

A good many evening hints have ended for me like this as the owl population seems fairly high where I hunt. make a definite and unique alert sound whenever they see a hawk.

No doubt about it, squirrels make a definite and unique alert sound whenever they see a hawk. I’ve not witnessed this with owls but it’s possible it could be the same sound. We have a lot of owls here but I rarely see them unless at night or early in the morning.

Indeed, either one can put an end to an evening hunt.

Last edited:
I'm seeing a theme here. Grandma's are awesome. Really miss mine. She passed back in '88. I also had the same problem with snapping turtles. She wouldn't fool with them. Luckily my buddy's (the guy I always hunted and fished with) mom was full blooded German and that woman could cook. We just had to clean them and she did the rest. And I also love Jacks. I think they've got the best chain fast food joint breakfast around.
Last memory of hunting with my dad was a fall squirrel hunt and shooting two greys. Mom fixed both that morning with gravy on biscuits or toast, can’t remember which.

That country woman knew how to cook game and once I caught the hunting bug as a teenager if I brought it home she would cook it.

My wife grew up on the east coast and had the same kitchen skills with seafood but never wild game. I’m slowly changing that as I find time to hunt again.

Miss hunting with dad and sitting in the kitchen while mom fixed our bounty.

Last memory of hunting with my dad was a fall squirrel hunt and shooting two greys. Mom fixed both that morning with gravy on biscuits or toast, can’t remember which.

That country woman knew how to cook game and once I caught the hunting bug as a teenager if I brought it home she would cook it.

My wife grew up on the east coast and had the same kitchen skills with seafood but never wild game. I’m slowly changing that as I find time to hunt again.

Miss hunting with dad and sitting in the kitchen while mom fixed our bounty.
Nice.
We still have our memories!
It's a Blessing.

Last edited:
Decided this morning that I’m going to give that a try. Need to get one of those small pressure pots first. My fried squirrels have great Flavor but they are too darn tough. Don’t like to fry them too slow due to them becoming too greasy. I’m thinking a small pressure pot like you mentioned will do the trick. Tender them up first then fry.

I'm going to give this method a try also.

Nice.
We still have are memories!
It's a Blessing.
Family memories are a blessing indeed. I am fortunate to have dad’s gun that he taught me to hunt with. Mom made sure I got it when he passed. It’s used once or twice a season then carefully cleaned and stored.

Any squirrel hunters here hunt with family guns?

...Miss hunting with dad and sitting in the kitchen while mom fixed our bounty.
Teared up reading that 😭

...Any squirrel hunters here hunt with family guns?
Some ahole stole all of our guns from dad after I left home for college. Even stole my childhood bb gun, the swine. I hope wherever he is he gets.... ok, gotta stop with the vengeance thoughts LOL 🙄

Family memories are a blessing indeed. I am fortunate to have dad’s gun that he taught me to hunt with. Mom made sure I got it when he passed. It’s used once or twice a season then carefully cleaned and stored.

Any squirrel hunters here hunt with family guns?
Sadly I don't have any squirrel hunting guns that belonged to my dad. I have a 30/30 and an old rabbit-eared side-by-side 12 gauge that is now a wall hanger. I have guns used to for squirrel hunting that I hope to pass on to my grandkids. My daughters never got into hunting but lots of my grandkids have. I have great memories and hope to make many for my grandkids. Thanks for posting the question.

You bet Ed. When you pull them outta that pot sometimes the meat is already coming of the bone.

I am going to take your suggestion and smoke some this year.

Sadly I don't have any squirrel hunting guns that belonged to my dad. I have a 30/30 and an old rabbit-eared side-by-side 12 gauge that is now a wall hanger. I have guns used to for squirrel hunting that I hope to pass on to my grandkids. My daughters never got into hunting but lots of my grandkids have. I have great memories and hope to make many for my grandkids. Thanks for posting the question.
Pilgrim,

I like your sense of family in passing squirrel hunting to your grandchildren, you will definitely be making future memories for them.

Love the very thought of it.

You bet Ed. When you pull them outta that pot sometimes the meat is already coming of the bone.

I am going to take your suggestion and smoke some this year.
Smoked squirrel—I like the thought. I have to ask about recipes and any details regarding the time, temperature, etc.

You won't regret it. I love fried chicken but properly fried squirrel is far better.

I have a .22 that was my dad’s. I believe the gun is at least as old as me,66. Last year I shot 11 squirrels with it. It’s going to my oldest grandson one of these days.

Dad’s been gone 18 years. He’d be happy to know that old rifle is still killing squirrels. I wish I could post a picture here of it as I refinished it last winter. But that’s a no no!

I have a .22 that was my dad’s. I believe the gun is at least as old as me,66. Last year I shot 11 squirrels with it. It’s going to my oldest grandson one of these days.

Dad’s been gone 18 years. He’d be happy to know that old rifle is still killing squirrels. I wish I could post a picture here of it as I refinished it last winter. But that’s a no no!

Jim K,

PM me a picture, I have a collection and love to see the vintage ones.

Just tape a frizzen to it and nobody will notice... 🤣

Back