• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to try one of those, most of the places I hunt have no cell signal.
We aren't permitted to use them "for hunting" here. I'm not sure how that applies to preseason scouting. In any case, service is usually not available anyway. The prohibition is about hunters kicking back in camp or home and running to the spot to kill something. Probably could happen and probably does on private property 🤔
To everything a season my friend!

Always amazes me when sitting in a deer stand, how many squirrels I see and I always have the same internal conversation "go get your rifle and get some shooting in."
Our little pine squirrels are the worst for that. If I'm sitting for deer or elk they will eventually start chattering and gradually move in until they are right in your face! Shooing them away just sets them off even worse. And even worse, the season isn't open in September when bow and ml big game is on.

Only 68 degrees for a high tomorrow ......this old mans goin after tree rats.
Everything is laid out and ready.
Charleville, 70 grains of 2F and 1 1/8 ounce 6 shot will do gitter done.......if the squirrels cooperate.

Attachments

• IMG_20240906_140742675_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240906_140742675_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
We aren't permitted to use them "for hunting" here. I'm not sure how that applies to preseason scouting. In any case, service is usually not available anyway. The prohibition is about hunters kicking back in camp or home and running to the spot to kill something. Probably could happen and probably does on private property 🤔

Our little pine squirrels are the worst for that. If I'm sitting for deer or elk they will eventually start chattering and gradually move in until they are right in your face! Shooing them away just sets them off even worse. And even worse, the season isn't open in September when bow and ml big game is on.
You better be packing something belt fed for personal protection Cruiser! If any of those Pineys have ties to the Colony..........just sayin.🤣

I don't know about you guys, but the reason I love the small game hunting is it's the closest thing to what we were all doing when we were kids.

I also hunt Deer and Turkey. Not to the extent Jim does and congrats on that grand slam! I will have the time someday...

Those both require planning, stands, decoys, vests, trail cams and/or whatever else you've armed yourself with to get the job done..

Squirrels I will just grab my son on a whim, throw the rifles in the car and go randomly walk in the woods somewhere. No big planning or too much gear involved. Just like hitting the woods after school...

We've actually blown hunts a few times because we'll get to talking about something and it just turns into an evening woods walk with guns and guy talk. Again, just like with my friends years ago, so I don't really mind....
I'm pretty much a solo hunter since my son grew up, got a job and moved off to be a responsible adult. Enjoy these moments Scott, they'll be fewer and far between before ya know it.

Yesterday I decided to go out for another squirrel hunt. I was feeling good and confident. The weather was also cooperating.

I was in the woods before it was light enough to see much of anything. My first plan was to intercept at least one of the squirrels that traveled through where I had trimmed some limbs at the edge of my friends mowed section. I hadn’t stop the more than 2-3 minutes until saw him hopping limb to limb heading my way. Positioning myself against a tree I waited for that squirrel to stop up in the walnut tree where I’ve seen him eating up in several times. However, this time he kept on moving limb to limb until he went out of sight. As it got a little lighter out, I could see there wasn’t the first walnut to be seen up in that tree. He had cleaned them all off that tree prior.

Okay ETipp, time to put plan two into action. So I eased my way westward heading to the same general area where I had been the last week or so. As the light condition became better, I saw several squirrels in different trees. However, every time I tried to put the sneak on them, by the time I got there, they were gone.

What I’ve noticed is the squirrels were really moving for the most part. They wouldn’t remain still in one tree very long until they would move somewhere else. They are definitely on the hunt for suitable food.

By now I had pulled back the hammer several times only to have to ease it back down. It was nice and cool out, no wind at that time and I could hear squirrels moving and jumping limb to limb in several different locations. I was still confident that it was going to be a productive hunt.

As I had planned, I slowly eased over to that active tree and there were a couple of squirrels were up in, but it was looking pretty darn bare. I positioned myself between the active tree and the east side of the drainage to try to get a shot at the squirrels that were in transit to and from that tree. After pulling back the hammer several more times just to have to ease it back down, finally two squirrels came running down the tree chasing each other round and round. I was already standing next to a tree to use as a rest so once again I pulled back the hammer, made it hot then raised the peep. They finally stopped for a few seconds, actually a bit longer than I had fingered they would as I took aim at one. Then it moved over to the other side of the tree. The other squirrel remained still up a ways higher so I took aim and quietly said “ hey little fella, look what I got”….. bang….thump……”a Crockett rifle”. Score one.

It was 0851 so I figured I still had plenty of time to score a couple more squirrels. I stood by that tree for about another hour but it just wasn’t happening. There just wasn’t much action up in that tree and I did keep seeing squirrels in several other trees. I did get one more shot at one that was leaving that tree but it I flat out missed. It was not a good shot and it would not stop but for a couple of seconds or so. Looking at my watch I figured I best move along.

Again I noticed that the squirrels were really on the move and didn’t stay in one tree for very long before they jumped to another one. I had been hearing hickory nut chunks hitting the ground just uphill about 30 yards or so. I decided what the heck, not the direction I wanted to go, and it is in direct sunlight, but maybe I could ease my way over there without getting busted. So the sneak was on again.

Eased over there doing my best to slip in under those tall and thin hickory trees at a snails pace, and as usual, the secondary canopy was not my friend. This meant I had to move to a couple of other nearby trees trying to see a hole in the leaves to get a shot, all in direct sunlight that left shadows on the ground with every move. Not good.

While standing next to a tree trying to locate one of the three squirrels up in that one tree that I thought was up there, something caught my eye off to my right and not very high up in a small tree. The squirrel stopped for a bit. Pulling back the hammer again, making it hot, then raising the peep, I took a rest from the side of a small diameter tree and took aim. Now I had a problem. The sun was about 90 degrees to my right and very bright. This distorted my sights big time. Knowing that squirrel was not going remain on the side of that tree much longer, I fired despite the glaring sun. The squirrel fell downwards about 3 feet then grabbed ahold of the tree again. It was hit but couldn’t move much. After reloading as quickly as I could and looked back up, the squirrel moved over a little. This was actually a good thing because it provided me with a better shot. I fired and end game for number two squirrel.

Now my confidence was real strong. I needed two more squirrels to reach the number that I’ve been looking for. This is when everything went wrong. Long story short, between not being able to buy another good shot at a squirrel, and taking longer shots than my old eyes are up to as a result, I shot and missed several more squirrels. It’s the most I have missed on one hunt I a long time. The harder I tried, the worse it things got. So I finally had to force myself to give up for the day.

Knowing that bow season opens this morning and I really need to get a couple of deer in the freezer, I was feeling really pressed. I really wanted those last two squirrels. So much so that it had worked against me.

Come to find out, the north wind is really blowing this morning. So, no bow hunting nor squirrel hunting.

My country boy analogy of the change in squirrel behavior is, the squirrels are on the move more in an attempt to find hickory nuts that are more suitable for them. There’s plenty of hickory nuts out there but for whatever reason, the squirrels seem to be on the move more searching for the ones they like best. Also, I’ve noticed that some of the most active hickory trees so far this year are now about bare of nuts.

Attachments

• IMG_2528.jpeg
    IMG_2528.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice write up there ETipp.
Sounds like ya made the best out everything. Like your patience and observations. I've noticed squirrel kinda pick and chose the hickories also. Out back buy the Slough there's a couple hickories with alot of nuts but I've yet to see squirrels up in them eating. I have found cuttings and empty shells under the tree but not alot. I've been wondering why?
I'm happy with my Crockett Rifle by the way. It's a good looking gun, looks don't kill a squirrel, accuracy does. It's never miss fired, I did dry ball it, and once as embarrassing as it is I thought it was load had a clean shot at a squirrel snap went the cap and I thought WTH but that's my fault. Again a fine little Rifle.

Thanks for your wite up Ed.

Sounds like ya made the best out everything. Like your patience and observations. I've noticed squirrel kinda pick and chose the hickories also. Out back buy the Slough there's a couple hickories with alot of nuts but I've yet to see squirrels up in them eating. I have found cuttings and empty shells under the tree but not alot. I've been wondering why?
I'm happy with my Crockett Rifle by the way. It's a good looking gun, looks don't kill a squirrel, accuracy does. It's never miss fired, I did dry ball it, and once as embarrassing as it is I thought it was load had a clean shot at a squirrel snap went the cap and I thought WTH but that's my fault. Again a fine little Rifle.

Indeed. For whatever reason, even some of the hickory trees that appears to have nice size hickory nuts on them, squirrels have been bypassing them. Yet they choose to go up into and cut on some hickory tree nuts that are smaller.

Whatever it is, it’s their party. They know what they like from what they dislike. I’m just a bystander, literally.

I have to admit that I was fairly raunchy after yesterday morning. I most likely take my squirrel hunting more serious than I should and put way more pressure on myself than need be. When something like what happened yesterday occurs, I allow it to take away from the peacefulness of the hunt. Every bit my fault.

Last edited:

I agree on the Crockett rifle. They are squirrel killing tools. After packing mine through as much rough, steep, thick and rocky terrain as much as I have, and for as long as my hunts last (sometimes from sunrise to sunset) I can’t imagine packing around any other squirrel rifle. I know I don’t want a squirrel rifle with any longer barrel, as I once thought I’d like to have. They just wouldn’t work out as good in the thick stuff I often go through.

So far, my Crockett has never failed me. Not even after being out in the rain for 6 hours. Perhaps I just jinxed myself here but I hope not.

As many battle scars as mine has, I’ve given consideration of refinishing the stock but quickly changed my mind. At most I plan on applying some finish on some of the places that the factory finish is gone or worn off. Battle scars gives a hunting rifle personality IMO.

Last edited:
Ed, could it be the hickory’s they’re passing up are bitternut hickory’s? I have one of them here along a field edge. Supposedly they’re not their favorite hickory.

Kinda like deer will pass up red oak acorns to get the sweeter white oak acorns then eat reds after the whites are gone. 🤷‍♂️

Ed, could it be the hickory’s they’re passing up are bitternut hickory’s? I have one of them here along a field edge. Supposedly they’re not their favorite hickory.

Kinda like deer will pass up red oak acorns to get the sweeter white oak acorns then eat reds after the whites are gone. 🤷‍♂️
Perhaps so, Jim. Good thought.

I’ve never really considered it one way or the other. Just chalked it up to the squirrels not wanting to dine on them right now. I would venture to say that indeed, they most likely will eat them later on after the best of the best hickory nuts are gone.

I don’t blame them. I always eat all the yummy stuff in the kitchen first too, and leave the other food for later.

I'm pretty much a solo hunter since my son grew up, got a job and moved off to be a responsible adult. Enjoy these moments Scott, they'll be fewer and far between before ya know it.
I know and hoping he comes back to hang out with me as an adult. He is almost 17 and just got his drivers license, so I can feel it coming already….

Yesterday I decided to go out for another squirrel hunt. I was feeling good and confident. The weather was also cooperating.

I was in the woods before it was light enough to see much of anything. My first plan was to intercept at least one of the squirrels that traveled through where I had trimmed some limbs at the edge of my friends mowed section. I hadn’t stop the more than 2-3 minutes until saw him hopping limb to limb heading my way. Positioning myself against a tree I waited for that squirrel to stop up in the walnut tree where I’ve seen him eating up in several times. However, this time he kept on moving limb to limb until he went out of sight. As it got a little lighter out, I could see there wasn’t the first walnut to be seen up in that tree. He had cleaned them all off that tree prior.

Okay ETipp, time to put plan two into action. So I eased my way westward heading to the same general area where I had been the last week or so. As the light condition became better, I saw several squirrels in different trees. However, every time I tried to put the sneak on them, by the time I got there, they were gone.

What I’ve noticed is the squirrels were really moving for the most part. They wouldn’t remain still in one tree very long until they would move somewhere else. They are definitely on the hunt for suitable food.

By now I had pulled back the hammer several times only to have to ease it back down. It was nice and cool out, no wind at that time and I could hear squirrels moving and jumping limb to limb in several different locations. I was still confident that it was going to be a productive hunt.

As I had planned, I slowly eased over to that active tree and there were a couple of squirrels were up in, but it was looking pretty darn bare. I positioned myself between the active tree and the east side of the drainage to try to get a shot at the squirrels that were in transit to and from that tree. After pulling back the hammer several more times just to have to ease it back down, finally two squirrels came running down the tree chasing each other round and round. I was already standing next to a tree to use as a rest so once again I pulled back the hammer, made it hot then raised the peep. They finally stopped for a few seconds, actually a bit longer than I had fingered they would as I took aim at one. Then it moved over to the other side of the tree. The other squirrel remained still up a ways higher so I took aim and quietly said “ hey little fella, look what I got”….. bang….thump……”a Crockett rifle”. Score one.

It was 0851 so I figured I still had plenty of time to score a couple more squirrels. I stood by that tree for about another hour but it just wasn’t happening. There just wasn’t much action up in that tree and I did keep seeing squirrels in several other trees. I did get one more shot at one that was leaving that tree but it I flat out missed. It was not a good shot and it would not stop but for a couple of seconds or so. Looking at my watch I figured I best move along.

Again I noticed that the squirrels were really on the move and didn’t stay in one tree for very long before they jumped to another one. I had been hearing hickory nut chunks hitting the ground just uphill about 30 yards or so. I decided what the heck, not the direction I wanted to go, and it is in direct sunlight, but maybe I could ease my way over there without getting busted. So the sneak was on again.

Eased over there doing my best to slip in under those tall and thin hickory trees at a snails pace, and as usual, the secondary canopy was not my friend. This meant I had to move to a couple of other nearby trees trying to see a hole in the leaves to get a shot, all in direct sunlight that left shadows on the ground with every move. Not good.

While standing next to a tree trying to locate one of the three squirrels up in that one tree that I thought was up there, something caught my eye off to my right and not very high up in a small tree. The squirrel stopped for a bit. Pulling back the hammer again, making it hot, then raising the peep, I took a rest from the side of a small diameter tree and took aim. Now I had a problem. The sun was about 90 degrees to my right and very bright. This distorted my sights big time. Knowing that squirrel was not going remain on the side of that tree much longer, I fired despite the glaring sun. The squirrel fell downwards about 3 feet then grabbed ahold of the tree again. It was hit but couldn’t move much. After reloading as quickly as I could and looked back up, the squirrel moved over a little. This was actually a good thing because it provided me with a better shot. I fired and end game for number two squirrel.

Now my confidence was real strong. I needed two more squirrels to reach the number that I’ve been looking for. This is when everything went wrong. Long story short, between not being able to buy another good shot at a squirrel, and taking longer shots than my old eyes are up to as a result, I shot and missed several more squirrels. It’s the most I have missed on one hunt I a long time. The harder I tried, the worse it things got. So I finally had to force myself to give up for the day.

Knowing that bow season opens this morning and I really need to get a couple of deer in the freezer, I was feeling really pressed. I really wanted those last two squirrels. So much so that it had worked against me.

Come to find out, the north wind is really blowing this morning. So, no bow hunting nor squirrel hunting.

My country boy analogy of the change in squirrel behavior is, the squirrels are on the move more in an attempt to find hickory nuts that are more suitable for them. There’s plenty of hickory nuts out there but for whatever reason, the squirrels seem to be on the move more searching for the ones they like best. Also, I’ve noticed that some of the most active hickory trees so far this year are now about bare of nuts.
Great report Ed!

We are getting our gear together today and will be back out in the woods in a week. I can’t wait!

Latest posts

Back