• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I concur, Mike. Gotta get it completely gutted properly, hide off and cooled down ASAP for best tasting meat. It can age in a cooler or fridge if that’s what one prefers.

Sometimes ASAP may be several hours but the quicker the better. In the meantime, split the pelvis and the chest open to where air can circulate and so it can get cooled down faster. It’s amazing how long heat can remain in the hind quarters if they are allowed to lie against each other. Gotta saw that pelvis into and spread each rear leg completely over to each side. The heat will dissipate fairly fast that way.

Only a couple of years in the last 20 that I have not gotten my allotted 4 deer. This method has been working well for me despite the fact that this is a fairly warm climate, especially during early bow season. IMO, taking the extra precautions pays off well.
It generally warm to hot down here especially archery season. Muzzleloading and general gun I can be cooler. I'm hunting state land with a quota hunt system. You must check your game in at check station. You can not field dress or remove head or sex organs.
After shooting a deer I wait about 20 minutes or so before I start tracking. After find it drag him out check it in. They do have a cleaning station at check in, I do not dress the deer out at the cleaning station. Too many people for me plus there always the Master Hunter running his mouth on how everyone is doing something wrong or don't have the right truck kinda thing. Fortunately I'm usually just 15 to 30 minutes away from my house.
Now I'm home I dress em out while hanging. At that point it get the hose and start rinsing it out and it cools em down.
I have a few coolers with water in them.
I just cut the meat away from bone chuck in it the coolers after getting all the meat off and into coolers I rinse a couple time them and salt and ice. I let them sit overnight in the salty ice water, Brian and rinse then fresh water and ice for a couple days. Then prepare for the freezer. This method has given me nice clean good tasting meat. There is no hanging down here for me, I don't have a walk in cooler.
Just my way of doing it.

It generally warm to hot down here especially archery season. Muzzleloading and general gun I can be cooler. I'm hunting state land with a quota hunt system. You must check your game in at check station. You can not field dress or remove head or sex organs.
After shooting a deer I wait about 20 minutes or so before I start tracking. After find it drag him out check it in. They do have a cleaning station at check in, I do not dress the deer out at the cleaning station. Too many people for me plus there always the Master Hunter running his mouth on how everyone is doing something wrong or don't have the right truck kinda thing. Fortunately I'm usually just 15 to 30 minutes away from my house.
Now I'm home I dress em out while hanging. At that point it get the hose and start rinsing it out and it cools em down.
I have a few coolers with water in them.
I just cut the meat away from bone chuck in it the coolers after getting all the meat off and into coolers I rinse a couple time them and salt and ice. I let them sit overnight in the salty ice water, Brian and rinse then fresh water and ice for a couple days. Then prepare for the freezer. This method has given me nice clean good tasting meat. There is no hanging down here for me, I don't have a walk in cooler.
Just my way of doing it.
I can guarantee you that I will never hunt a place where the law states I cannot field dress my deer. First off, no way in heck am I going to drag out a deer with guts in it. Too much weight and too messy. Secondly, suppose that deer was gut shot. Just having to leave the guts inside the critter during hot temperatures is simply insane. Yeah buddy, now that’s got to make the meat taste good.

Some states I’ve lived in require the sex organs to remain on the animal in some fashion. That did not preclude quartering up the animal. All one has to do is leave part of a sex organ on a hind quarter. Does not have to be much. Antlers are not considered proof of sex. Go figure!

Last edited:
I can guarantee you that I will never hunt a place where the law states I cannot field dress my deer. First off, no way in heck am I going to drag out a deer with guts in it. Too much weight and too messy. Secondly, suppose that deer was gut shot. Just having to leave the guts inside the critter during hot temperatures is simply insane. Yeah buddy, now that’s got to make the meat taste good.

Some states I’ve lived in require the sex organs to remain on the animal in some fashion. That did not preclude quartering up the animal. All one has to do is leave part of a sex organ on a hind quarter. Does have to be much. Antlers are not considered proof of sex. Go figure!
It's what I have to deal with, or FWC will give ya a ticket. Fortunately I haven't gut shot one and my deer weigh less with the guts in it then your Kentucky deer gutted out.
I don't like either but I play by the rules. After the first 9 days you can dress it out in the field. No check in required.
I want to stay on the good side of the FWC.

It's what I have to deal with, or FWC will give ya a ticket. Fortunately I haven't gut shot one and my deer weigh less with the guts in it then your Kentucky deer gutted out.
I don't like either but I play by the rules. After the first 9 days you can dress it out in the field. No check in required.
I want to stay on the good side of the FWC.
Understood.

Was a good morning to be in the woods. Stepped out of the truck at 6:10 am, and the truck said it was 56°. Slapped my snake gaiters on, grabbed my hunting bag and the Crockett and started walking. I had to walk up the gravel road cutting through the Game Land due to the gate still being closed for whatever reason DNR is slacking I guess. Once off the road, I capped the ol girl and headed to the spot I wanted to start at. When I got there, got my seat roped onto a tree, fired up my thermacell, layed the rifle across my knees and waited. I hadn't been in these woods since last winter, and was surprised how thick it was. Reminded me of Crow Valley in the Philippines, triple canopy jungle. Didn't take long before you could here the squirrels cutting, and moving from tree to tree, just couldn't see them. About 5 minutes to seven, a small bachelor group of bucks came within 15 feet of me, 2 of them being legal shooters, and one pretty decent. We had a staring contest for 3-4 minutes, when they decided to vamos. Bout 5 after 7, squirrel comes in hopping along and starts to climb a tree about 12 yards in front of me, I went to full cock, set the rear trigger, and slightly turned on my seat while raising the rifle in one motion. She stopped long enough for me to put the front bead on her head, exhale and slowly squeeze. She fell about 40 feet and didn't move. I reloaded quick and continued to wait. Didn't take long for another squirrel to jump to the same white oak I shot the first one from, but it never quit moving, and disappeared into the canopy, so I went back to half cock, and kept my vigil. Caught movement to my left, turned slowly in time to see a black bear crossing the two track I was hunting off of and go into the woods behind me, maybe 30 yards. Those jokers can move quiet when they want, I watched it walk away, not making a sound. Sat till about 8:30, and decided to go grab my squirrel and still hunt my way back to the road after a couple of loud talking fellas walked behind me carrying shotguns. When I picked up my squirrel, she must of moved at the shot, or I pulled low, because she was hit right through the back, and the 32 ball cut her spine in two. No action on the way back, they were there and moving, just too thick for a clear shot. When I get back to the parking area , I showed my gear, poured a cup of coffee, and started cleaning the young doe squirrel. I got the hide, head, and feet off, just cut up the ribs, and am pulling the guts out when a couple of hippies with huge backpacks come walking down the road. The look on the lady's face was hilarious, I did my best not to laugh.

All in all a good day. Saw a total of 7 deer, a bear, and 2 hippies. The bugs didn't bother me, and I've got a tender squirrel sitting in salt water waiting for the hot oil tomorrow. Good luck, and safe hunting to all. And watch out for them D**n hippies while hunting public land.😉

Attachments

• IMG_20240914_084041627.jpg
    IMG_20240914_084041627.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Was a good morning to be in the woods. Stepped out of the truck at 6:10 am, and the truck said it was 56°. Slapped my snake gaiters on, grabbed my hunting bag and the Crockett and started walking. I had to walk up the gravel road cutting through the Game Land due to the gate still being closed for whatever reason DNR is slacking I guess. Once off the road, I capped the ol girl and headed to the spot I wanted to start at. When I got there, got my seat roped onto a tree, fired up my thermacell, layed the rifle across my knees and waited. I hadn't been in these woods since last winter, and was surprised how thick it was. Reminded me of Crow Valley in the Philippines, triple canopy jungle. Didn't take long before you could here the squirrels cutting, and moving from tree to tree, just couldn't see them. About 5 minutes to seven, a small bachelor group of bucks came within 15 feet of me, 2 of them being legal shooters, and one pretty decent. We had a staring contest for 3-4 minutes, when they decided to vamos. Bout 5 after 7, squirrel comes in hopping along and starts to climb a tree about 12 yards in front of me, I went to full cock, set the rear trigger, and slightly turned on my seat while raising the rifle in one motion. She stopped long enough for me to put the front bead on her head, exhale and slowly squeeze. She fell about 40 feet and didn't move. I reloaded quick and continued to wait. Didn't take long for another squirrel to jump to the same white oak I shot the first one from, but it never quit moving, and disappeared into the canopy, so I went back to half cock, and kept my vigil. Caught movement to my left, turned slowly in time to see a black bear crossing the two track I was hunting off of and go into the woods behind me, maybe 30 yards. Those jokers can move quiet when they want, I watched it walk away, not making a sound. Sat till about 8:30, and decided to go grab my squirrel and still hunt my way back to the road after a couple of loud talking fellas walked behind me carrying shotguns. When I picked up my squirrel, she must of moved at the shot, or I pulled low, because she was hit right through the back, and the 32 ball cut her spine in two. No action on the way back, they were there and moving, just too thick for a clear shot. When I get back to the parking area , I showed my gear, poured a cup of coffee, and started cleaning the young doe squirrel. I got the hide, head, and feet off, just cut up the ribs, and am pulling the guts out when a couple of hippies with huge backpacks come walking down the road. The look on the lady's face was hilarious, I did my best not to laugh.

All in all a good day. Saw a total of 7 deer, a bear, and 2 hippies. The bugs didn't bother me, and I've got a tender squirrel sitting in salt water waiting for the hot oil tomorrow. Good luck, and safe hunting to all. And watch out for them D**n hippies while hunting public land.😉
Very good, Tom. Nice way to start the season off. Congrats.

Glad ya got out and got one.
D..n Hippies!

Latest posts

Back