• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have these barrel condoms, and soft plastic deals that slid over your caps. Can't say they work, I always figured rain and BP don't mix so well. So never went when it was raining too bad.
Funny thing: squirrel hunting was always my favorite but I usually won't go after them in the rain. But will go after deer regardless of the weather. I guess because of one shot equals more meat. But squirrel hunting is still a bunch more enjoyable.

I used to have these barrel condoms, and soft plastic deals that slid over your caps. Can't say they work, I always figured rain and BP don't mix so well. So never went when it was raining too bad.
No it works I've gone..

Reloading isn't easy if it's raining good. Find a good tree to get under.

Keep it tucked into your coat. Keep an arm in the coat.. barrel angel down.. pull it when ready. big rain coat helps.

Funny thing: squirrel hunting was always my favorite but I usually won't go after them in the rain. But will go after deer regardless of the weather. I guess because of one shot equals more meat. But squirrel hunting is still a bunch more enjoyable.
My spirit guide has everything out of wack, saw more deer today then squirrel, when I'm deer hunting, more squirrels. I know what you mean, more groceries with deer. Squirrel was the first thing I could hunt when I was young and feral. As life got in the way, less squirrel hunting. Now that I'm retired, I can be a kid again.

That's all really.. just keep that dry under your arm.

Attachments

• 20240914_214436.jpg
    20240914_214436.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 0
Or..

I'm thinking trying cut a piece or rain coat to cover it like this..

Attachments

• 20240914_220557.jpg
    20240914_220557.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 0
And.. because loading is more the issue in the rain now..

You can bring a small umbrella.

Wedge it in the trees above you somewhere.. then your good.

I've done it deer hunting.. put an umbrella in the tree above me. It's nice.

Yep it’s my old reliable Lyman GPR. It’s a 54 cal and I use a light load of 35gr and it just pokes a hole through them.
That’s great. You did good, bro.

Is that a Lyman 57 peep and front hood sight?

I have a GPR just like it. Love the ML but not so much the weight. IMO, it’s the only downside to a GPR but it is doable.

Last year I thought I’d give mine a go at squirrels. I downloaded it to, I think, 30 grains of 3F. Shot it and got it sighted in well then took it to the woods the next morning. I found out real quick like that after packing my Crockett rifle around these steep hillsides for a few months my GPR felt like it weighed a ton. I had my chance at one squirrel but when I tried to get a bead on it, I was surprised that I couldn’t see the front sight even though it was painted white. The woods was dark that morning but I attribute most of that to bad vision. That was the extent of using my GPR for squirrel hunting last year.

With that said, I did not give up hope. I even wrote down the number of clicks for my peep sight to be lowered and raised back for deer hunting. This season it’s been on my mind as well. So the desire is still there.

The one thing that has held me back is no longer a factor. Now it’s simply a matter of waiting for cataracts surgery on both eyes. After that I will reassess. I’m praying that my old and damaged eyes will be restored to normal vision, considering I’m paying a lot to get the best of the best lenses installed.

Also, I have installed a finer front bead from Marble Arms on my beloved GPR. This should help tremendously for smaller targets such as squirrels plus still work well for deer hunting. So, the desire is there and I am working towards it.

Really wanting to kill a few squirrels with my GPR. I’d absolutely like to bark one just cuz. Have you ever barked a squirrel?

Again, congrats on the first one of the season.

Last edited:
Opening day found me in my happy place 50 miles from home. I can and do walk out of my shop and hunt. But I just love hunting this piece of state forest. Last year it wasn’t as good as most years so I only went out a few times.

This year it’s back to normal. I had scouted a couple weeks ago and saw and heard quite a few and the hickory crop is good.

I had a lot of squirrels working around me at sun up but you guys know how it is. Hard to see them because of leaves or out of range. I did get 4 shots and missed them all. One was real close. I always miss them! Two were 30-35 yards. Makeable but look pretty small. One was just perfect plastered on a tree not moving,looking at me at 20 yards. I fully expected him to drop but he didn’t. I’ll not lie, I was frustrated.

To shorten this up, I wound up hunting this evening close to home in an area I shot a lot in last year.

I missed another on a downed log at roughly 25 yards. Now I’m getting festered. Finally got one final shot at maybe 15 yards. He moved just as it went off and I hit him back but that.36 ball does the job even back there.

I hope my shooting improves next week. I’ll be out Monday. Not sure about Tuesday-Thursday. They’re calling for some rain. My muzzle loaders don’t go out in it. My .22’s do though.
Congrats on the first squirrel of the season.

I’m glad you showed some perseverance, Jim. It shows character and determination. You stuck with it regardless. Now that’s the trait of a squirrel hunter right there. You definitely have my respect for doing so.

I often believe that sometimes we simply do not know why we miss shots. Although we try to analyze them later, we simply do not know for sure. As you know, there’s usually several possibilities to blame it on.

The main thing is you scored and did not come home empty handed. It could very well be that for a while you hit every squirrel you shoot at before missing again. One thing is for certain, squirrel hunting can be tough this time of year, especially with everything so thick and green.

I’m betting that your new squirrel rifle will be your best squirrel rifle yet. Waiting for the pics.

Last edited:
Tim, years ago when I first moved to TN from CO, I got into squirrel hunting in the rain. Gray squirrels were new for me then and I was amazed at how many came out and was all over the ground during the winter months while it was raining. I would put on a camo rain suit and hit the mountains.

However, that was using a different kind of squirrel tool. Even though I hunt with a ML now, I do not let that stop me from hunting in the rain. I do not go out if it’s raining hard but rest assured that if light to medium intensity rain begins while I’m out, I remain out. I do not put anything over the muzzle and so far I have not experienced a misfire nor rust. This is one reason why I am adamant about using TOTW Mink Oil for patch lube. I apply it pretty thick on my patches. My thinking is, this helps lube the bore after seating the patch/ball.

IMO, keeping the cap or ignition system dry is most important.

Someday I will make a post explaining just how well TOTW Mink Oil works against water. It’s kind of embarrassing so that’s the reason why I haven’t posted it already. Trying to get up the nerve to do so. 😁

The rifle, bag and powder horn looks good. Looks like you all are getting lots of freshly fallen leaves on the ground as well.
Red and white oaks are dropping acorns already. Hickory nuts also down. Wet spring and no rain to speak of since July it's going to be a very different season this year
Opening day was Saturday we're going to have to see what the rest of it brings

Congrats on the first squirrel of the season.

I’m glad you showed some perseverance, Jim. It shows character and determination. You stuck with it regardless. Now that’s the trait of a squirrel hunter right there. You definitely have my respect for doing so.

I often believe that sometimes we simply do not know why we miss shots. Although we try to analyze them later, we simply do not know for sure. As you know, there’s usually several possibilities to blame it on.

The main thing is you scored and did not come home empty handed. It could very well be that for a while you hit every squirrel you shoot at before missing again. One thing is for certain, squirrel hunting can be tough this time of year, especially with everything so thick and green.

I’m betting that your new squirrel rifle will be your best squirrel rifle yet. Waiting for the pics.
Thanks Ed. I’m pretty good at missing squirrels lol. But I keep at it. I’ll be getting my new rifle this afternoon and taking it right to the range. Hopefully I get it dialed in today and can take it out tomorrow.

Thanks Ed. I’m pretty good at missing squirrels lol. But I keep at it. I’ll be getting my new rifle this afternoon and taking it right to the range. Hopefully I get it dialed in today and can take it out tomorrow.
I’m sure it’s going to be a sweat shooter. Please post up results ASAP.

Glad you were able to get out to the woods and get ya one Jim.
Also happy to hear about your new rifle.
Looking forward to see pictures of rifle and the dialing in results.

Take Care Buddy

Red and white oaks are dropping acorns already. Hickory nuts also down. Wet spring and no rain to speak of since July it's going to be a very different season this year
Opening day was Saturday we're going to have to see what the rest of it brings
Pretty much the same situation here. Many leaves have already turned color and fallen as a result of dryness. Difficult to walk quietly in the woods.

Thinking this for rabbit. Looks like in the budget. I don't have one of. I guess it would work on a squirrel.

Italian knife

Example... they have maybe 3 blade styles you know. I'm looking for
Pointy. Sharp.

To be honest I keep going back to that non auto Boker.

It's between that. And .. capper knife. Maybe Puma.

Attachments

• 172641403580796286078755132488.jpg
    172641403580796286078755132488.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 17264150885085115040195433058770.jpg
    17264150885085115040195433058770.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 0
Follow up on the squirrel glands taste comparison test.

The wife and I were getting ready to do this test. I watched a video on how to remove those glands. When I did as shown, I found the glands to be tiny if I could find them at all. Watched the video again and gave it a second try. Same thing. My thinking is perhaps the salt water shrunk those glands down to about nothing because they were very small. A couple were so small that there simply wasn’t much to them, no ball, just a small glob at most.

I also became aware that all the squirrel pieces had been soaking in the fridge in salt water for a few days together. With all of this in mind, I decided to wait on doing the test until the next time I bring in a couple of squirrels. If I’m going to do this, I want it to be as accurate as possible.

My thinking is that in order to get the most accurate results, it would be best to remove the glands before soaking and aging in salt water in the fridge. The legs with the glands still in will be soaked in a separate pan. The two different batches will be cooked separately.

Now, I have this to ask those of you that believe you have noticed a difference in taste with the glands left in. Was that on fox squirrels, gray squirrels, or both?

Last edited:
Follow up on the squirrel glands taste comparison test.

The wife and I were getting ready to do this test. I watched a video on how to remove those glands. When I did as shown, I found the glands to be tiny if I could find them at all. Watched the video again and gave it a second try. Same thing. My thinking is perhaps the salt water shrunk those glands down to about nothing because they were very small. A couple were so small that there simply wasn’t much to them, no ball, just a small glob at most.

I also became aware that all the squirrel pieces had been soaking in the fridge in salt water for a few days together. With all of this in mind, I decided to wait on doing the test until the next time I bring in a couple of squirrels. If I’m going to do this, I want it to be as accurate as possible.

My thinking is that in order to get the most accurate results, it would be best to remove the glands before soaking and aging in salt water in the fridge. The legs with the glands still in will be soaked in a separate pan. The two different batches will be cooked separately.

Now, I have this to ask those of you that believe you have noticed a difference in taste with the glands left in. Was that on fox squirrels, gray squirrels, or both?
Both have them Ed. Sometimes they come off when you skin them out.

Latest posts

Back