• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All females. I’ve shot 9 and 8 are females. Ed’s getting mostly males. I’m not sure what to think. Last year started off the same for me then evened out later in the season. 🤷‍♂️
I reckon you are, indeed, a female magnet. Word gets out that ole Jim is in the hood and they run over your way saying “Pick me, Jim, Pick me”.

Meantime, the males are saying “Oh heck no, stay away, least ye want to wind up on tied around a tree at the end of a cord”.

Last edited:
I made the 100 mile round trip to my happy place today. It sounded like rain all day with the squirrels cutting the hickories. I saw a LOT but they’re up high and just glimpses. You guys know. But occasionally I would get a shot. I was fortunate to get three with five shots. Storm came in at 4:15 and I left with plenty of squirrel activity still going. I was hoping it would hold off two more hours. Still a good day.View attachment 350274
Congrats on a fine hunt, Jim. Glad you had a great day with your new squirrel tool.

If y'all want a good laugh over breakfast, put this USPS tracking number in and follow it's route since it left Kibler's:

It was shipped "next day". Notice it got to within 5 miles of my house in HSV before taking off on it's scenic tour of Yankee land.
Oh my gosh. I just checked tracking. It’s now saying en route to its destination in Beijing China. Me thinks some ting wong. J/K, Stan. Be patient, bro. It’s all you can do for now.

I actually did check the tracking history of that package and it’s simply mind boggling. Someone definitely crapped out on their job. I’ve found that near the end of a week, after a conundrum like that, usually better information is provided Monday mornings. If not, if it were me, I’d be making a trip to that post office and having a pow-wow with the post master. Thats where everything went wrong. This falls flat dab in his/her lap.

Good luck my friend.

Last edited:
Weather reports and squirrel hunting. I’ve come to the conclusion that I have just about as much of a chance of being accurate by sticking my head out the door of a morning and checking it it rather than trusting what the weather forecaster's say. I do not watch TV so I get my weather forecast from the net. Same station as on TV. I’m thinking that perhaps the net forecast is computer generated.

I hope you all have more reliable information in your area.

With the new forecast, if it is accurate, doesn’t look like I’ll get any squirrel hunting in for at least a week. I only have 3 days to get back out there this week. Then, if everything goes well, it will be hunting with one good eye and one terrible vision eye for a couple of weeks. This is going to be interesting for sure. I have no idea how its going to turn out trying to hunt like that.

Okay, done belly-aching for now. 😁

Last edited:
Well i was planning on going hunting this weekend, not going to happen. My youngest boy is getting married later in the week, the rest of my kids and grandkids have been coming in from all over. I was able to take a week off work ,haven't seen a couple of them in several years. However i plan on grabbing my Cherokee tomorrow morning and escaping to the woods. It is going to be a good week.

...if it were me, I’d be making a trip to that post office and having a pow-wow with the post master...
I went down there the day after they failed to deliver it and shipped it to Buffalo. I also got online and filled out a form at the national level and got a case number. The postmaster just waited till the next day and called and read me back the tracking info.

You're right, all weekend it's just been hung on "in transit".

I'm giving it Monday, then I'm going nuke.

Back