• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All females. I’ve shot 9 and 8 are females. Ed’s getting mostly males. I’m not sure what to think. Last year started off the same for me then evened out later in the season. 🤷‍♂️
I reckon you are, indeed, a female magnet. Word gets out that ole Jim is in the hood and they run over your way saying “Pick me, Jim, Pick me”.

Meantime, the males are saying “Oh heck no, stay away, least ye want to wind up on tied around a tree at the end of a cord”.

Last edited:
I made the 100 mile round trip to my happy place today. It sounded like rain all day with the squirrels cutting the hickories. I saw a LOT but they’re up high and just glimpses. You guys know. But occasionally I would get a shot. I was fortunate to get three with five shots. Storm came in at 4:15 and I left with plenty of squirrel activity still going. I was hoping it would hold off two more hours. Still a good day.View attachment 350274
Congrats on a fine hunt, Jim. Glad you had a great day with your new squirrel tool.

If y'all want a good laugh over breakfast, put this USPS tracking number in and follow it's route since it left Kibler's:

It was shipped "next day". Notice it got to within 5 miles of my house in HSV before taking off on it's scenic tour of Yankee land.
Oh my gosh. I just checked tracking. It’s now saying en route to its destination in Beijing China. Me thinks some ting wong. J/K, Stan. Be patient, bro. It’s all you can do for now.

I actually did check the tracking history of that package and it’s simply mind boggling. Someone definitely crapped out on their job. I’ve found that near the end of a week, after a conundrum like that, usually better information is provided Monday mornings. If not, if it were me, I’d be making a trip to that post office and having a pow-wow with the post master. Thats where everything went wrong. This falls flat dab in his/her lap.

Good luck my friend.

Last edited:
Weather reports and squirrel hunting. I’ve come to the conclusion that I have just about as much of a chance of being accurate by sticking my head out the door of a morning and checking the weather rather than trusting what the weather forecaster's say. I do not watch TV so I get my weather forecast from the net. Same station as on TV. I’m thinking that perhaps the net forecast is computer generated.

I hope you all have more reliable information in your area.

With the new forecast, if it is accurate, doesn’t look like I’ll get any squirrel hunting in for at least a week. I only have 3 days to get back out there this week. Then, if everything goes well, it will be hunting with one good eye and one terrible vision eye for a couple of weeks. This is going to be interesting for sure. I have no idea how its going to turn out trying to hunt like that.

Okay, done belly-aching for now. 😁

Last edited:
Well i was planning on going hunting this weekend, not going to happen. My youngest boy is getting married later in the week, the rest of my kids and grandkids have been coming in from all over. I was able to take a week off work ,haven't seen a couple of them in several years. However i plan on grabbing my Cherokee tomorrow morning and escaping to the woods. It is going to be a good week.

...if it were me, I’d be making a trip to that post office and having a pow-wow with the post master...
I went down there the day after they failed to deliver it and shipped it to Buffalo. I also got online and filled out a form at the national level and got a case number. The postmaster just waited till the next day and called and read me back the tracking info.

You're right, all weekend it's just been hung on "in transit".

I'm giving it Monday, then I'm going nuke.

I went down there the day after they failed to deliver it and shipped it to Buffalo. I also got online and filled out a form at the national level and got a case number. The postmaster just waited till the next day and called and read me back the tracking info.

You're right, all weekend it's just been hung on "in transit".

I'm giving it Monday, then I'm going nuke.
It seems as if we can’t trust anyone or anything nowadays.

What are you alls most difficult shots on squirrels (using a RB)?

My are:

1. Very steep, vertical angles, like darn near or completely straight up.

2. When squirrels are laying stretched out on a limb.

3. Off handed shots.

Now I have killed quite a few in all of those scenarios but I’ve also missed more on those shots than all the others.

One more that, I would reckon are about a 50/50 chance, are when squirrels are hanging on the side of a tree that are perpendicular to me. For whatever reason, if the squirrels are directly ahead of me, whether they are facing up or down, I don't miss them nearly as much. Perhaps its due to them having more surface area that way?

I use this app. I found it to be very reliable considering that it is very difficult to forecast weather here in Colorado. Mainly because the weather can and does change quickly due to the mountains.

My brother in law is a PhD weather guru and told me that they can sit at NOAA in Boulder and predict weather pretty accurately for the US east of the divide but don't do very well for the local weather.

So, it might be worth a try for you in your part of the country.

Our local weather forecasts on TV are ridiculous. They actually sensationalise the weather to the point that it's meaningless!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240922-081021_GooglePlayStore_copy_524x1106.jpg
    Screenshot_20240922-081021_GooglePlayStore_copy_524x1106.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0

My are:

3. Off handed shots.

Now I have killed quite a few in all of those scenarios but I’ve also missed more on those shots than all the others.

One more that, I would reckon are about a 50/50 chance, are when squirrels are hanging on the side of a tree that are perpendicular to me. For whatever reason, if the squirrels are directly ahead of me, whether they are facing up or down, I don't miss them nearly as much. Perhaps its due to them having more surface area that way?
All the above. Too high up are super tough. With my damaged neck, looking up too long does me in. "Perfect" shots for me are rare. I take what they give me though. And miss a lot🤣

Same here, @snakebit . Stiff sore neck. My GP says it's "SCM Muscle" [ Link to article ], ok whatever. He gave me a shot in the neck muscle and it did help for a while...

Anyway, @ETipp , #1 is a beeotch for me, rb, .22, shotgun, pellet gun, slingshot, spitwad, no matter the weapon 🤣.

Last edited:

My are:

3. Off handed shots.

#1 for is the worst, it's the neck thing. #2 is so so. #3 So far this year all of my shots have been off hand. I've not shot as many as you but so far I only missed twice. I did shoot a 2 squirrels today, one very close, he was small but came from behind and stated barking at me he wouldn't shoo away or shut up, so I shot him and fell dead on the spot.
The other one I shot him from 20+ yards and he was way up in the tree. I saw him fall but didn't hear the thud. He was laying on a tangle of vines. I saw blood on some leaves then looked straight up and saw him. I shook the vines, he wasn't dead grabbing anything he could but hit the ground after I shook the vines again. He finally hit the ground scurried off. I found him and was fix'n to take the butt of the gun to him and he took off, I looked butt couldn't find him. Went and got Henry and he sniffed him out, he was in a possum or armadillo hole at the base of a tree. I had Henry on a leash when I tried to fish him out of the hole went out an escape hole on the other side of the tree and again scurried off. Henry's leash got tangled up. By the time I unhooked him the squirrel was gone. The dog kept going to one tree and circling it looking up so I believe he made it up the tree.
I hate wounding an animal of any kind and not being able to finish him off as quickly as possible. It happens. I recon a Bobcat or a Coyote will find him if he is on the ground or falls out of the tree. Then again he may survive this ordeal.

My are:

3. Off handed shots.

Off handed for me followed by straight up. The squirrels have a real good chance of living through either one!

Weather reports and squirrel hunting. I’ve come to the conclusion that I have just about as much of a chance of being accurate by sticking my head out the door of a morning and checking the weather rather than trusting what the weather forecaster's say. I do not watch TV so I get my weather forecast from the net. Same station as on TV. I’m thinking that perhaps the net forecast is computer generated.

With the new forecast, if it is accurate, doesn’t look like I’ll get any squirrel hunting in for at least a week. I only have 3 days to get back out there this week. Then, if everything goes well, it will be hunting with one good eye and one terrible vision eye for a couple of weeks. This is going to be interesting for sure. I have no idea how its going to turn out trying to hunt like that.

Okay, done belly-aching for now. 😁
Ed
I use the AccuWeather app and I find that to be pretty darn accurate.
Have used it for a little over 3 years.

Back