• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ed, I hope the lens replacement goes well. Let us know.
Hopefully you'll be out there in the woods doing what you like to do,

Hunting Squirrels the Traditional Way.

After I do big clean up around here, I'll probably go get lost in the woods with my Crockett Rifle, may even give
Ole Redbone out and try to get me a couple of squirrels.

Take Buddy.🙏

Ed, I hope the lens replacement goes well. Let us know.
Hopefully you'll be out there in the woods doing what you like to do,

Hunting Squirrels the Traditional Way.

After I do big clean up around here, I'll probably go get lost in the woods with my Crockett Rifle, may even give
Ole Redbone out and try to get me a couple of squirrels.

Take Buddy.🙏
Thank you, Fred.

Just got back home. It appears things went well well. Time will tell the big story. I can see fairly well out of this new lens install now. It’s going to take a couple of days for things to stabilize. I did a no-no right off the bat. As soon as I got out of my truck I dropped something. Out of habit, I bend way down and over to pick it up. Didn’t dawn on me until I had straighten back up. Hope I didn’t tear something because that’s a definite no-no it had only been about an hour. I reckon I’ll be finding out soon enough.

I do have more eye pain than on the first eye.

Glad you made it through the storm. I knew you would.

Thank you, Fred.

Just got back home. It appears things went well well. Time will tell the big story. I can see fairly well out of this new lens install now. It’s going to take a couple of days for things to stabilize. I did a no-no right off the bat. As soon as I got out of my truck I dropped something. Out of habit, I bend way down and over to pick it up. Didn’t dawn on me until I had straighten back up. Hope I didn’t tear something because that’s a definite no-no it had only been about an hour. I reckon I’ll be finding out soon enough.

I do have more eye pain than on the first eye.

Glad you made it through the storm. I knew you would.
Just like the knee Amigo, slow and steady. You'll shoot so many squirrels you'll have to freight the tails off to Mepps Fishing Lure Company 👍

So how do you fellers deal with squirrel hunting on public land when it is bow season. I love getting out in the woods before sunrise and watch everything wake up, but since it is bow season, I hate to disturb the bow hunters by shooting at squirrels. Bow season lasts a long time and so does squirrel season and since I only have public land to hunt sooner or later, I'm going to be in conflict with bow hunters.

So how do you fellers deal with squirrel hunting on public land when it is bow season. I love getting out in the woods before sunrise and watch everything wake up, but since it is bow season, I hate to disturb the bow hunters by shooting at squirrels. Bow season lasts a long time and so does squirrel season and since I only have public land to hunt sooner or later, I'm going to be in conflict with bow hunters.
For me:

More blaze orange than usual

I stay away from heavy woods/brush and hunt more open areas.

I also go out later in the morning when it’s easier for archers to see me. It’s not a big deal here because it gets cold fast, so the squirrels tend to be more out once the day warms up a bit.

I hunt a lot of public land. I get to where I plan to hunt at first light. I’m walking in usually without a flash light. Later than what a bow hunter would be.

If there is a truck parked there, I go elsewhere. I’m very respectful of bow hunters. I used to be one. I have lots of places to squirrel hunt. I give them their space.

On our public lands archery season is over before muzzleloading season starts, then it's general gun season. Bow hunters can use their bows during general gun but not during muzzleloading season. If they chose to hunt with bow during general gun season, they know that the woods are full of gun hunters. The deer hunters get mad if folks are hunting squirrels while they're hunting deer. After general gun small game season opens on public lands. Then it's weapon of choice.

If I wanted to squirrel hunt, then I’d go regardless. I wouldn’t go where I knew bow hunters would be, but I would be out there nonetheless if I wanted to go. I would wear my usual squirrel hunting attire unless the regs state hunters orange is required. I would avoid the weekends and hunt during the week, however.

It is very possible that a squirrel hunter could scare deer over to a bow hunter.

I go out a bit later for squirrel if I'm not bow hunting. I don't want to disturb anyone's hunt either, but I have run into guys in the woods who have the attitude they own the whole woods, those kind of guys perk up my inner redneck. But if I know a guy is hunting, I'll

It is very possible that a squirrel hunter could scare deer over to a bow hunter.
I think that's very true. Especially in the whitetail woods. But I can see their point. When a squirrel hunter walks by under their stand it must seem like an intrusion. Back when I hunted whitetails I was ok with any movement by other hunters.

First impressions of the Crockett. Some of my supplies are not here yet so I may not be shooting it until next week, which is going to drive me a bit crazy.

The rifle is beautiful and seems very well fitted together for a sub $1,000 gun. I will get it on the work bench and take a closer look at that soon.

It handles and points beautifully. I have a tall face so the drop comb is a real winner for me. The triggers and lock are crisp and seem well made.

The sights leave something to be desired. A bit thinly made and not super easy to see, but that can be worked on.

As some of you have mentioned, the ramrod actually seems a bit dangerous. I can see that thing easily snapping and going right through your hand if you try to rush in a hunting situation. It’s so light and flimsy. I will carefully use it at the range to start out, but any recommendations on quickly replacing that thing would be appreciated.

Overall I’m extremely happy with the Crockett and can’t wait to get it sighted in and tuned up for hunting. Squirrel season is open here until March and Rabbit opens in 8 days.

I will add more info and some pictures as I move forward.

Years and years ago when I bought mine, I went to a machine shop and got a piece of brass rod. Drilled and tapped both end for cleaning jags and had one end made concave to fit the balls. Works great. Heavy, but it helps to stabilize the gun as well.

I hunt a lot of public land. I get to where I plan to hunt at first light. I’m walking in usually without a flash light. Later than what a bow hunter would be.

If there is a truck parked there, I go elsewhere. I’m very respectful of bow hunters. I used to be one. I have lots of places to squirrel hunt. I give them their space.
The same for me if a truck is parked there i move on

First impressions of the Crockett. Some of my supplies are not here yet so I may not be shooting it until next week, which is going to drive me a bit crazy.

The rifle is beautiful and seems very well fitted together for a sub $1,000 gun. I will get it on the work bench and take a closer look at that soon.

It handles and points beautifully. I have a tall face so the drop comb is a real winner for me. The triggers and lock are crisp and seem well made.

The sights leave something to be desired. A bit thinly made and not super easy to see, but that can be worked on.

As some of you have mentioned, the ramrod actually seems a bit dangerous. I can see that thing easily snapping and going right through your hand if you try to rush in a hunting situation. It’s so light and flimsy. I will carefully use it at the range to start out, but any recommendations on quickly replacing that thing would be appreciated.

Overall I’m extremely happy with the Crockett and can’t wait to get it sighted in and tuned up for hunting. Squirrel season is open here until March and Rabbit opens in 8 days.

Congrats, Scott.

That shoddy ramrod will suffice until you can get an upgraded one. Being is constructed from metallic material, I doubt it would break or go through one’s hand. However, there’s no doubt it’s way undersized, rattles and is a very poor excuse for a ramrod.

Your options are:

1. Order and build up a hickory ramrod from TOTW. All you need is one end. They are easy to build up.

2. Order a brass ramrod from October Country or the Log Cabin Shop. I prefer to do business with October Country. Small business and great people that make their own stuff.

Personally, for that rifle, I wouldn’t consider a fiberglass ramrod.

If you choose to shoot .310 swagged RB and .018 pillow ticking, it will be a snug fit but doable with a hickory ramrod. Anything tighter and you will be best served with a brass ramrod.

The last batch of pillow ticking I got from October Country is great. After washing it and allowing it to dry, I lubed my self cut patches with TOTW Mink Oil. I go heavy on the lube and found that with a .310 RB, I can shoot several times and still reload easily. However, I prefer to run one or two damp cleaning patches with Windex on them down the bore after 2-3 shots anyway IF the situation permits. **Cut those moist patches a little smaller**. For whatever reason, they tend to bind up if they are the same size as the other cleaning patches. In fact, it would behoove you cut all cleaning patches a little on the smaller size. You will thank me later.

20 grains of 3F will most likely be your optimum charge.

Last edited:

The rabbit hole you have entered is a deep one my friend!🤣 But, very rewarding. A little testors model paint on the front sight will help until you decide on sights. Like Ed mentioned, a brass RR is the route I went. I got a derlin one from TOTW for my 36 (Sadie), but she has a 39 inch barrel. Get a good patch worm. Cleaning patches I like them around an inch, and not too thick. A small 2 oz pump spray bottle from Walmart with Windex or denatured alcohol is handy for range or field for swabbing. I'd also recommend a nylon .22 caliber brush for cleaning the patent breach. That rifle will shoot better than you figure her out. Looking forward to your writeup after your first range session.👍

Back