• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the rabbit hole leads to some rabbit stew I’m all good!

Got it and will add a few other odds and ends to the RR order. I do a very lightly wet windex patch between shots with my larger caliber rifles so will do the same with this one. I’m fairly meticulous with black powder guns and firmly believe that keeping everything very consistent from shot to shot is a key to success. I think that part is where a lot of centerfire shooters stumble when they switch over.

Look for a writeup a week from today. Unfortunately, a few components did not get here in time. One of the many hassles of living in MA. No local retail options at all. I can get balls, and once in a blue moon, CCI caps at Cabelas. That’s literally it…
You try pelletiersports.biz it's just over the boarder NH

No, I'm in PA. My son lives in CT. If you ever got in a crunch for powder and caps. I could work out an assist.
I really appreciate that. So far I’m ok and have learned to plan around the realities of living here. Affordable black powder is the biggest issue, but there are still a couple of places left that will ship to me. It’s just every once in a while I have to wait a bit for specialty items.

CT is no fun either. I would extend the offer back to your son if he’s a BP shooter. Glad to help if he runs short on anything.

Last edited:
You are being very wise, grasshopper.

Scott, I have put hundreds of shots through my primary Crockett. As I have said, I swab between shots. I have had a total of 2 cleaning patches lost in the bore. One was due to turning it over and it was torn a little and had a hole through it, so that’s understandable. A worm got it out quick like. The second one I don’t have an answer for. It was not retrieve-able with the worm so I simply put a little powder into to flash hole, capped it and fired it out. Honestly, IMO, as long as you use the proper size patches, it’s not a problem. No more so than any of my big bores.

Tom was correct, not much more than 1” square for the cleaning patches. 3/4” is even better for the moist patches with Windex on them. Those should not bind up on you out in the woods while wiping between shots. Yet, you should have no problem with losing them down the bore. The main thing to remember, IMO, with a .32 is its best to go too small with the cleaning patches than too big. It will accept a much smaller patch than you would think. I can promise you that trying to use too big of cleaning patches out in the woods will make you say some bad words.

I simply do not see the fuss that many people have with a .32 caliber ML. After reading a few war stories, I too, was a little concerned at first. However, it didn’t take me long to find it’s not a problem for this ole boy. No problem loading it and no problem cleaning it.

I love my Crockett rifles. My primary Crockett has provided me with more fun and enjoyment than all the other ML’s I’ve owned combined.

As you can see, the patches on the left were cut a bit smaller for moist patches.
Thank you for the continued support Ed. I am literally excited like a teenager to go out and shoot this rifle. My son loved it too!

I found a big ziplock of 3/4” cleaning patches in my stash so I’m GTG when everything else arrives…

Years back I bought a quart bottle of Permethrin concentrate. Directions told what to do to get the usual strength found in the spray cans. I tend to be a bit "anal" so made the mix double strength. All I can say is that it worked as well as Permethrin I'd used in the past.

Well as it turns out I don't hunt any longer and haven't been out in probably 6 years. This is all due to health problems that would entail too much risk. But if it ever turns out that I find myself plinking squirrels again I'll be tick protected.
I also hope you get out hunting again. You joined around the same time I did and we are in the same area. I’ve enjotpyed reading your posts over the years…

Man, that's slick, emery; a real beauty. What wood is that? You shoot #4 buckshot out of her?
The wood is birdseye maple and I shot number 3 buckshot (.250)
That rifle is beautiful Emery!

.25 caliber must be like a pellet gun on steroids. Are you using PRB’s or some sort of Maxi Ball bullet?

Thank you for the continued support Ed. I am literally excited like a teenager to go out and shoot this rifle. My son loved it too!

I found a big ziplock of 3/4” cleaning patches in my stash so I’m GTG when everything else arrives…
Okay then. I reckon I owe you an apology.

The patch sizes I posted were cut out from old Tee-shirts. They may or may not be the same thickness as commercially made cleaning patches for CF rifles. I should have stated that up front. Some, if not most, commercially made CF cleaning patches are thinner material. If that is so with what you intended to use, then you will most likely have a little experimenting to do, unless someone else on the forum can post up that uses commercial cleaning patches in their 32 calibers as well.

Material thickness definitely matters with this game.

Again, I apologize, Scott.

Last edited:
Do you have it yet? Or on order?
Wondering about fit and length
For the Crockett rifle. I have a 36cal
Investarms Santa Fe, (But I'm about a Nat's Tail From ordering a Crockett)
Herd so many good things about them.
10 spot, those brass ramrods fit the thimbles on a Crockett rifle nicely. Still a little more slop than I like but overall they fit well. Indeed they do add a little weight to the Crockett but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Although I’m a stickler for less weight on all of my hunting gear, I found that additional weight to be an asset for offhand shooting. It seems to steady the rifle more, IMO.

The only real downside to a brass ramrod that I find is they do make a little bit of noise when reloading, which noise is my number one pet peeve on any of my hunting equipment. I would reckon most people don’t mind that, and by being mindful of it, the little bit of noise can be reduced.

Other than that, as well as the small amount of additional weight, those brass ramrods are great.

In terms of ramrod on a squirrel hunting rifle, I much prefer to keep the cleaning jag attached to the end. My reasoning is, considering I prefer to swab every 2-4 shots, I don’t have to be digging around for the jag out in the woods. As bumble fingers as I am, I’m sure I would lose a cleaning jag in short order. Big bores it’s not a concern since it’s usually just one or maybe two shots at the most.

Last edited:
Okay then. I reckon I owe you an apology.

The patch sizes I posted were cut out from old Tee-shirts. They may or may not be the same thickness as commercially made cleaning patches for CF rifles. I should have stated that up front. Some, if not most, commercially made CF cleaning patches are thinner material. If that is so with what you intended to use, then you will most likely have a little experimenting to do, unless someone else on the forum can post up that uses commercial cleaning patches in their 32 calibers as well.

Material thickness definitely matters with this game.

Again, I apologize, Scott.
No apology necessary at all. I will have all of my stuff with me at the range and already acquired a 32 caliber swab, tapered jag and patch worm.

I will get it all figured out at the range and be feeling good when I hit the woods. I actually enjoy the tinkering at the range part of this branch of the shooting hobby. You feel more accomplished getting it right.

I’m going to the range today too Scott and tinker with my Crockett. I’m going to try some thinner patches with my bear grease lube. I’m shooting a .311 ball with .020 ticking. It loads fine with my 50/50 water and Murphy’s lube but it’s pretty tough with the bear grease I use for hunting. So I’m going to play around with it this afternoon. Have fun today!

I really appreciate that. So far I’m ok and have learned to plan around the realities of living here. Affordable black powder is the biggest issue, but there are still a couple of places left that will ship to me. It’s just every once in a while I have to wait a bit for specialty items.

CT is no fun either. I would extend the offer back to your son if he’s a BP shooter. Glad to help if he runs short on anything.
Thanks. He uses dads supplies 🤣 He's looking to transfer to Virginia next year.

Well fellers, I’m hoping to try to test shot my Crockett today to see (literally) how well it works out. Not seeing very good today. Pretty sure its sinus issues from mowing yesterday. Had on a pair of goggles but it was still so rough, due to dust, that I quit before I was done. No doubt some dust got around the goggles somehow. However, I’m wanting to give it a try today anyway if at all possible. Things are a little blurry as it is now. 🤬

My hopes are to go squirrel hunting perhaps Tuesday.

Well fellers, I’m hoping to try to test shot my Crockett today to see (literally) how well it works out. Not seeing very good today. Pretty sure its sinus issues from mowing yesterday. Had on a pair of goggles but it was still so rough, due to dust, that I quit before I was done. No doubt some dust got around the goggles somehow. However, I’m wanting to give it a try today anyway if at all possible. Things are a little blurry as it is now. 🤬

Hello, ETipp morning! Make some smoke today, you'll have fun, the cool
Morning nip is in the air, gets the blood stirring, this is my favorite time of year , enjoy the day sir.

It'll be all worth it once it all settles in Ed. We'll have to take to callin ya Ole Hawkeye.

It'll be all worth it once it all settles in Ed. We'll have to take to callin ya Ole Hawkeye.
I’m hoping so. Doc said it can take up to a full year for it to completely settle in, which is what my research has stated as well. I’m hoping that by a couple of weeks from now I’ll be in pretty good shape.

Back