• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good shooting, looks like you got a sound rifle. Now go get you some squirrel
Thanks, Duk. I have a work day tomorrow at my property, and I'll take some time to scout around some more, maybe take a shot if the opportunity arises. 85 miles distant. I don't have confidence, though. It's rugged 78 acre Appalachian terrain, and I haven't scouted over every part of it, but the lack of dreys and nests where I would normally see them is disconcerting. My fallback is "The pawpaw patch", a spot on a NWR closer to me, on the TN River, that I know has a large population of the them. We'll see. I'm not salivating to slaughter them by the dozens. I just want to relax and harvest a few and re-live my youth.

Last edited:
Thanks, Duk. I have a work day tomorrow at my property, and I'll take some time to scout around some more, maybe take a shot if the opportunity arises. 85 miles distant. I don't have confidence, though. It's rugged 78 acre Appalachian terrain, and I haven't scouted over every part of it, but the lack of dreys and nests where I would normally see them is disconcerting. My fallback is "The pawpaw patch", a spot on a NWR closer to me, on the TN River, that I know has a large population of the them. We'll see. I'm not salivating to slaughter them by the dozens. I just want to relax and harvest a few and re-live my youth.
Shoot a few. Be a good excuse for mamma to make you a pan of biscuits 😉

Stan, in all actuality, I’ve killed way more squirrels in my life in areas where there were no visible dreys. There may be many den trees there that you never see. Also, squirrels will travel a few hundred yards on a daily basis for nut crops, twice a day or more. Then we have squirrel stupid season that will be upon us in a couple of weeks. Squirrels will be everywhere on the ground digging for nuts that have fallen.

It might pay off to check that area out. 78 acres is a lot of ground so you’re bound to find squirrels during stupid season. That is unless the area has been logged recently.

I'm with you if I can get enough for a few good meals I'll be happy.
And Ed is probably correct, i know around here den trees are quite common. I didn't realize it until i started to hunt them this year.

Back