• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m still behind on my deer hunting and I usually don’t take pictures of doe deer, but this is a first for my .54 GPR. It’s a start so maybe I can get back to doing some squirrel hunting, at least a little bit now that I can see a little better.

Pretty good size ole gal for these parts.
Way to go Ed. I’m glad you got one!

I’m still behind on my deer hunting and I usually don’t take pictures of doe deer, but this is a first for my .54 GPR. It’s a start so maybe I can get back to doing some squirrel hunting, at least a little bit now that I can see a little better.

Nice job on the doe Ed looks like a older deer with that long nose, she'll be good eaten.

1000002016.jpg

Finely got out with my S×S looking for squirrel and pheasant, walking on the edge of a corn field next to the trees. I had pheasants getting up 50 to 100 yards out but nothing closer, but I seen this guy trying to hide in the crotch of a cottonwood tree 70gr. 2f 1 1/8 ounce of number 5 shot works pretty good on squirrel. Got a shot on another one a couple hundred yards farther down, I know I hit him I could tell by the way he acted, but he crawled farther up and I couldn't see him. I sat for half an hour hoping to see some movement or anything else. I don't know if there is a den up there or he was laying in a crotch but either way I didn't get him.

View attachment 356308
Finely got out with my S×S looking for squirrel and pheasant, walking on the edge of a corn field next to the trees. I had pheasants getting up 50 to 100 yards out but nothing closer, but I seen this guy trying to hide in the crotch of a cottonwood tree 70gr. 2f 1 1/8 ounce of number 5 shot works pretty good on squirrel. Got a shot on another one a couple hundred yards farther down, I know I hit him I could tell by the way he acted, but he crawled farther up and I couldn't see him. I sat for half an hour hoping to see some movement or anything else. I don't know if there is a den up there or he was laying in a crotch but either way I didn't get him.
Oh yeah, way cool, Duk.

Big foot carrying a GPR!

This is some of that old school camo I was telling you all about. The pic was taken at twilight so it’s not in color. Critters see me but don’t know what to think. I blend right in with the freshly fallen leaves. This stuff really works well.

Yesterday while out scouting, I was wearing some other old school camo and I had two different squirrels within 15-18 feet of me. One came down a tree and was heading straight towards me. I froze because there was nothing else I could do. The squirrel would hop a few steps towards me, stop and raise up on his hind feet, look, then got closer. He finally went up a tree about 8 feet away. He never knew what I was and he was not alarmed.

Attachments

• IMG_2611.png
    IMG_2611.png
    776.1 KB

She'll make fine back straps and tacos! I'll raise my glass of amber liquid in your honor around sundown.

View attachment 356308
I thought them NODAK ringnecks were so tame they'd fly right into your game pouch? Least that's what they fellas I used to hunt with in Nebraska would say. Or was it SODAK? 🤔🤣 Glad to read ya had a good day Duk. 👍

I thought them NODAK ringnecks were so tame they'd fly right into your game pouch? Least that's what they fellas I used to hunt with in Nebraska would say. Or was it SODAK? 🤔🤣 Glad to read ya had a good day Duk. 👍
When I hunt the family farm their not so spooky, but today I was hunting public land and they get hunted pretty hard.

Back