• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4F Black Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncrichie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all. Having a terrible time finding 4F for flash pan. Has anyone out there made their own by crushing 3f with a wooden mortar and pestal? Obviously this would be done outside using small amounts. Anybody? Uncrichie.

I did, once. put some 3F on a spoon and put another spoon on top...worked. I have now given up using 4F...I find that 3F works just fine as a priming powder. Hank

Hi Hank. I have used the 3F in the pan also but wanted to try some 4F. Maybe I'll try the two spoons method, thanks. Uncrichie.

uncrichie said:
Hi all. Having a terrible time finding 4F for flash pan. Has anyone out there made their own by crushing 3f with a wooden mortar and pestal? Obviously this would be done outside using small amounts. Anybody? Uncrichie.
Take an empty 35mm film cannister, fill it 3/4" full of 2f or 3F, drop in a lead ball, snap the lid on, and holding it in place with your fingers, shake vigorously.

PS: I order my cases from a Goex distributor in Moscow, PA...there are also Goex Distributors in Hershey and Forest City.

Give them a call...if they're not close, they can probably tell you who carries it that is close to where you live.
[url] http://www.goexpowder.com/distributors.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Works like a champ!! Just don't get carried away with the grinding and end up with 10 or 20F. :cursing: A little dab will do ya. When your done, dump the powder onto a paper towel and swish it around a little, to get rid of the dust type residue. :v
sniper

where are you at in SE PA?
just look up dixon's shop.

and where is there a goex distributer in hershey pa?

brain said:
where are you at in SE PA?
just look up dixon's shop.

and where is there a goex distributer in hershey pa?
The Goex link I supplied shows it

RB, I'm in the SE corner just outside Philadelphia. Hersey is about 60 miles and Moscow is more like 80-90 miles. I went down into Wilmington, DE earlier, Millers gun shop said the computer had one can in stock. Well you guessed it there was none in their book or magazine, Rats. Other shops closer won't order 4F because they don't sell much and have to purchase a case. Thats OK I'll shake some out of the 3F and keep looking. Thanks again. Uncrichie.

That would be wooden spoons...but it isn't worth the effort. FFFg works just as well. And it is better in humid conditions, too.

Dixons has 4F and Dixons is a wonderland for BP shooters. A supermarket of traditional guns and stuff.
Well worth the trip.

Just take lots and lots of folding green along. You will leave the shop with a small bag of stuff costing $67 like I did the last time I stopped in three weeks ago. Oh they will take your debit or credit card, too. Haw! Haw! :rotf: :blah: :shake: :grin:
volatpluvia

:shake: I think that I would not bother grinding/crushing 2Fg or 3Fg to try to make 4Fg for priming as 3Fg or 2Fg work fine particularly if it is humid.
Besides the potential safety problem! There is a reason that Bp is ground with controlled moisture content and wooden rollers and occasionally the manufacturers have problems with loud noises. :hmm:
About the only use that I have for 4Fg is for removing the dreaded dry-ball. :v

MercerLake said:
"...Besides the potential safety problem!..."
What potential safety problem??
Handling / breaking down a table spoon of BP in a film canister with a lead ball is less dangerous than any of the other BP handling activities we do every day using muzzleloaders....there's no compression involved, no ignition sources involved, etc.

Hey, what if you grind up that powder in the plastic container, you open it, bout that time the dog runs by you chasing a cat & he bumps your arm & the ground powder flys into your face just as you were enhaling & some goes up your nose. Then 10 min later you light up a smoke & KABLOOEY..... no more nose............ :rotf: :bull:

See........... Kinda like the "magic bullet theory". Ya have to really think on some of this stuff..... :hmm: :grin:

Uncrichie, I second and third the suggestions to head up to Dixon's. You can't live this close, shoot black powder, and not take yourself and your wallet to Chuck's shop. :thumbsup:

The problem is not knowing where to "order" it from...it can be ordered from many, many palces...however, if you order a single can of powder, a $10 can of 4F with hazmat fees and shipping/handling will be $40 by the time it reaches your front porch...he's trying to find somebody who sells it locally...

Back