• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50g FFFg for Whitetail?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eaglesnester:
Deer are small in the lower 48? Never hunted in maine have you? You using the metric system? :rotf:
Nit Wit

It is a true statement...The further North from the equator you go.. the larger the Deer are, as well as other species of Mammels. It's called Bergmanns Rule.
Although depending on where Eaglesnester is located..and where in Maine your located..it might not be a large difference in average size.I apologize for being O/T.

I betcha ole' Bergmann was scratching his head while thinking about his rule and big cats.

The male Mountain Lion in the US and Canada can get up to 165 pounds but the male Jaguar down in Brazil can get up to 300 pounds.

:stir: :grin:

Jaguar is a different species. If it lived in Canadia, it would be 600lbs....actually, in Canadia it would weigh 272 Kgs.

You are correct about that. The Blacktail deer of Victoria Island are quite small, and from what I know no larger than black tail deer found further south, but for Whitetails, his rule holds well. I have shot 350 lb plus whitetails in Alberta, never seen one close to that size in Texas.

Even on Alberta Whitetails, 50 grains will do the job, IF you hit them in the right spot. As I have said before, I prefer heavier loads as they are far flatter shooting and I really can't tell the difference in kick with a PRB and 90 grains vs 50 grains of FFFG. I would be willing to bet that if you had someone else load your gun for you and not tell you which load was which, you couldn't tell much difference either.

The jaguar, which is now making a tentative comeback, actually seem to average larger north of the border. They were once common and it wasn't unusual to see a Model "T" with two or three slung over the hood or in the back. And they were huge. Like most everything else they were mostly wiped out before WW2. And the jaguar, by the way, has the most powerful bite of ANY of the big cats, exceeding that of both the lion and the tiger. It is probably more closely (can't say for sure) to the sabertooth than any of the others.

You must be thinking of this one.
Jaguar2.jpg

Unfortunately, a year or so after this picture was taken in Southern Arizona, he seemed to be developing a health problem so he was captured.
In trying to help him, they did something wrong to him and he died.

Sorry for getting us off topic.
Now, what was it? Oh! I remember!
Something about a Whitetail eating 50 different grains? :grin:

Like I said, they USED to be common in the Southwest....uh, that border. Let's hope they reestablish in that part of their former range. Such a shame too many people feel there's no room for creatures that are few already and whose presence invigorates nature.

Back