• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accuracy of GPR vs. Custom gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Joy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Guy's, I need your help - If you compare a GPR percussion to a custom rifle with a rice or getz barrel accuracy wise - what is the outcome? I need a percussion rifle as a truck rifle ( needs to be reliable and accurate) but I just can't bring myself to take a " fancy" rifle to do that.
Would a Lyman fit my bill, or would I be better of to built a simple percussion gun with a barrel of my choice?

No, a GPR won't win many benchrest matches among a bunch of custom guns. But I'll tell you for sure that it will whack bunny heads all day long at 50 yards. Unless your truck has a range finder, traverse, and laser sights on a gun mount, I'd say the GPR would be a dandy truck rifle. Sure suits my trucks.

Sounds good so far - I understand that there is a difference but again it is for field use - and a kit around $ 320 is hard to beat - even if I just buy a barrel and lock ( have anough wood blanks and hardware) I am out the same and a lot of work.... but then on the other side....

You can't go wrong with a GPR. They're rugged and dependable. They might not win a match against a custom rifle with premium barrel but they will definitely hold their own.

HD

I believe it has more to do with the shooter than anything. I use to shoot matches at the local range and once and awhile I'd shoot against people like Don Getz. He shoots custom guns using his own barrels. Very nice man.. Can't remember him winning many matches.Custom gun are nice but it's the nut behind it that has the skill to get the job done.

The LGP wins a trail walk now and then, they are accurate enough for most folks needs.

i have shot in matchs for years with a .50 gpr and beat the custom guns regular. gave nothing up to them. so if you learn to shoot you will do fine.

I can't imagine someone being able to shoot the difference in the barrels at anything other than a benchrest or chunk gun match. For field use, save your money, and go with the GPR. Its a great gun for the money, and the barrels are as accurate as you can possibly hold them. The Custom-made barrels are worth what is paid for them, but they are rarely used for a casual shooting/ deer season gun.

A shooter's ability and willingness to work up an accurate load will win every day. The GPR is a fine rifle.

My opinion
Ken

paulvallandigham said:
The Custom-made barrels are worth what is paid for them, but they are rarely used for a casual shooting/ deer season gun.
I started out with a CVA Mtn Rifle and a GPR, I won matches with both. I have progressed over the years and I am fortunate enough to own a custom gun. I shoot that gun several times a week in the rain and snow. Custom guns are made to shoot! I feel that John Getz is now making the best barrels ever.

Have to agree with everyone else. Who would want to put a custom rifle through the rugged use of a truck gun. A GPR will do any job you ask of it as a truck gun. A GPR will shoot as far as any custom rifle and will shoot better than anyone can hold it. Go with the GPR!!!! :thumbsup:

My custom barreled rifles get used for everything: plinking, target shooting, hunting, trekking and about anything else that I happen to think of. I can imagine having spent the extra money for a fine barrel and not getting all possible use out of it. I admit that it doesn't get tossed in the back of a pickup, but neither did the worst beater I ever owned. I use them but I don't abuse them.

You perhaps misunderstood my point. I agree that a custom barreled gun can be used for everything. However, for what he is wanting the gun for, his best decision, and use of his money, is to buy the LGP rifle. For the money it just can't be beat for his uses. The fact that you shoot your rifle frequently puts you in another category from the once a month shooter, and once a year hunter. It takes that kind of correct practice to truly make use of the extra precision of the custom barrels.

Unless the barrel on a gun is damaged beyond hope, or the crown is damaged, most barrels are better than the shooter.
The limiting factors are trigger pull(quality release) sights, and barrel & breech (tang).
If these are ok, your gun will hold up against the very expensive custom guns.
The old Hopkins & Allen Underhammer by Numrich Arms has out shot custom guns for decades.
CVA barrels have proved themselves over and over again.
A properly tuned Lyman GPR will stand up to the best of them all.
Best Regards
Old Ford

while there's nothing wrong with owning something simply for the sake of having it, i agree with the consensus that you'd do much better in terms of cost efficiency if you were to buy a GPR and spend the money you save over a custom barrel on powder and ball.

just one guy's opinion.

Along the line's of tg's observations, I usually don't do well against the paper punchers with the mallets and teflon patches. However, my GPR and I more than hold our own on trail walks or in the field.

You won't be sorry. I picked up a GPR at an estate auction (will not make you all jealous of my kill :grin: ). Took it to the range to see what I got. At 50 yards bench first three rounds were all touching dead center! (70 grains 2f .490 RB w/Bore Butter lube)

You won't be sorry X-2! I'm about mid way through my GPR.54 kit and already having a great time. All components fit, the wood grain is great and the results (if you take your time and understand all the relationships) are worthwhile. All that fun and I haven't even pulled the triggers yet!
Rangertrace---

Back