• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

advatages to flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good advise, nothing sells like hands on experience... [/quote]

1)a well set up flinter gets a lot of ooh's and aah's from those less eddicated at the range.
2) i loaded up my york for the contractor doing the remodleing on my inlaws house and i almost had to pry it out of his hands and say" hey ..get your own flinter!!!!" :crackup:
ya think he might be hooked?? :shocking: :: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I just got the frizzen hardened on my small siler kit yesterday and spent this morning wacking a 5/8 flint till she quit sparking. I guess you could say thats another vote from the rat pack. :)

I guess you could say thats another vote from the rat pack. :)

ANOTHER RAT ??? Geeeez, how many rats are in this "Rat Pack"???

Let's see...There's Rat, Swamp Rat, River Rat, River Rat 43, Muskrat, Pack Rat, and now a Tree Rat?? :peace:

OK, fellers, fess up!........ Whatcha up to??? :hmm: Let us in on it too. Ya know what they say.......All rats and no RussB makes old Russ a dull boy.........ya know.

I just might change my name to Russ Rat...infiltrate the Rat Pack, and get a handle on what they got going on....I know they are up to sumpin!

I just might change my name to Russ Rat...infiltrate the Rat Pack, and get a handle on what they got going on....I know they are up to sumpin!

Here is the Rusty Rat for your new avatar, once you infiltrate their ring...

rusty_rat_variant.jpg

I've only been shooting a flintlock for 2 years know but have had no ignition problems with either one of my rifles.
Just like anything new you have a learning curve and it depends on how much time your willing to spend setting your
gun up to get top performance. Also my GPR is percussion and I've had many more miss fires with it than both of my flinters combined. Used a hot shot nipple without much success finally went to Musket nipple. Now I'm looking into
converting my GPR to flint. Flintlocks Rule. :imo:

Ahhh, a musket shooter and a fly fisherman too, A man after my own heart. The 2 best things in life. Well, nearly the best. ::

Ahhh, a musket shooter and a fly fisherman too, A man after my own heart. The 2 best things in life. Well, nearly the best. ::

It's still the best while keeping your clothes on! (Ooops! hope that ain't bad.)

Is that really the name of that fly...or is it a streamer? Kinda looks like a streamer. Heck, I'm not sure.
Anyway, is that for sure it's right name?
I'm gonna Hi-Jack that picture if it is.......

signed: Russ da thieving Rat. :crackup: :crackup:

Is that really the name of that fly...or is it a streamer? Kinda looks like a streamer. Heck, I'm not sure.
Anyway, is that for sure it's right name?

It is called the Rusty Rat, it is a classic salmon fly... (streamer)

Tying instruction for the Rusty Rat can be found below...
Rusty Rat (Hair-Wing)

By the way, sorry for the
offtopic.gif

It's still the best while keeping your clothes on! (Ooops! hope that ain't bad.)

Yep Russ that's kinda what i meant by almost the 2 best. :: Your right the best is with the clothes off. There just isn't anything like a nice hot bath, is there? :crackup: With yer reliable flinter of course. Back to topic. ::

capper vs flinter, chevy vs ford, the debate will never be totally be satisfied by either party. Agree that we have a common ground and interest. We are continuing to preserve a bit of history by keeping it alive with our deep love and commitment to our sport and hobby. Let us not forget our heritage and loose sight of where we are headed.

May your powder always be dry and your shots sure and straight.

capper vs flinter, chevy vs ford, the debate will never be totally be satisfied by either party. Agree that we have a common ground and interest. We are continuing to preserve a bit of history by keeping it alive with our deep love and commitment to our sport and hobby. Let us not forget our heritage and loose sight of where we are headed.

May your powder always be dry and your shots sure and straight.

We live in a democRATic society. The best thing about it is we can choose, flintlock, caplock or inline. I can't help it if some choose not to see the light by using those guns that don't flash.:winking: At least I don't have to worry about leaving my caps or primers at home.

Dick

Happy New Year! to all the "Rock Lockers" everywhere!

And, to all the Rat Pack, as it seems they do enjoy their Flinters.

They seem to have a great sense of humor too...on most issues. :redthumb: Ya gotta love a bunch like that!

Russ

I hope I'm not to late but I must warn you about flintlocks. Sniffing black powder from the muzzle end is addictive, but in your face, it is a much higher dose and the addiction level can reach a point were there is no know treatment centers or cures. You may become like one or all of the above posters, some even dress and talk funny :rolleyes: If you don't think this to be true, try asking "what is the advantage of a in-line" in your next post and see what the responce is :crackup: Happy New Year & God Bless us all

ANOTHER RAT ??? Geeeez, how many rats are in this "Rat Pack"???

Let's see...There's Rat, Swamp Rat, River Rat, River Rat 43, Muskrat, Pack Rat, and now a Tree Rat?? :peace:

In case you haven't figured it out,it's a slang name for squirrel. I guess I could volunteer to be the high limb lookout for the Rat Pack or if they kick me out for not being ratty enough I could be just another loose nut. :haha:

I cannot think of an disadvantage in useong a flinter instead a caplock, I loaded my smoothrifle Nov. 1st and hunted off and on all thru Nov. in damp weather with showers and rain at times and kept the lock covered with a leather cover or kept it tucked under my arm, and just wiped it down at the end of the day and ran a lightly oiled patch down to the ball, after Thanksgiving I put it on the bench and did not hunt again untill today and when I decided to touch it off at the end of the hunt it went boom, as though I had loaded it this morning..most missgivings about flinters stem from lack of experience, misinformation or crossing paths with an inferior quality product.

Back