• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

advatages to flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A wise old hivernaut once told me, "Son, if'n the Good Lord hadda wanted you to shoot percussion caps, why the streams and riverbeds would be full of 'em fer the takin!"

I like that! I like that a lot!

That old hivernaut knew must have know sumpin. :crackup:

Russ

I cannot think of an disadvantage in useong a flinter instead a caplock, I loaded my smoothrifle Nov. 1st and hunted off and on all thru Nov. in damp weather with showers and rain at times and kept the lock covered with a leather cover or kept it tucked under my arm, and just wiped it down at the end of the day and ran a lightly oiled patch down to the ball, after Thanksgiving I put it on the bench and did not hunt again untill today and when I decided to touch it off at the end of the hunt it went boom, as though I had loaded it this morning..most missgivings about flinters stem from lack of experience, misinformation or crossing paths with an inferior quality product.

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: .......not a shot fired during the hunting season.......now TG, I bow to your vast prior experience with muzzleloaders but I've always had better luck when I actually left the garage and got away from that bench to find them thar deers, eh.......

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: .......not a shot fired during the hunting season.......now TG, I bow to your vast prior experience with muzzleloaders but I've always had better luck when I actually left the garage and got away from that bench to find them thar deers, eh.......

Having read tg post over the last few years, I would think it is safe to say the if he doesn't fire a shot, its because the deer didn't present the proper shot to him...

I get the impression that tg would not take just any shot, keeping his, the deer and the guns limits in mind...

I hope I'm not to late but I must warn you about flintlocks. Sniffing black powder from the muzzle end is addictive, but in your face, it is a much higher dose and the addiction level can reach a point were there is no know treatment centers or cures. You may become like one or all of the above posters, some even dress and talk funny :rolleyes: If you don't think this to be true, try asking "what is the advantage of a in-line" in your next post and see what the responce is :crackup: Happy New Year & God Bless us all

ATTENTION EVERBUDDY!!!!.... (2) NEW DEVELOPEMENTS FER 2005!!

1. rollingb, is change'n his name to,.... "rolling rat"!!

2. T/C and Savage, are to introduce ther newly designed Flintlock Inline later next month. The new designs feature positive flintlock ignition, which is not only "water-proof" but was primarily designed to save buy'ers lots of money. Both of these companies have flintlocks which are specialy designed to shoot reliably with any rock found in your local (and specificaly for shooters that don't live in "flint" country).
Through extensive testing, Savage discovered that real blackpowder ignites the most reliably with "flint", and have decided to discontinue their Savage 110 ML that uses smokekess powder. All Savage smokeless ML's will be sold at the reasonable price of $19.95 until supply is exhausted. Along with Savage's "discovery" of harmonious effecency between "flint" and "real blackpowder" they have applied for a "patent" in regards to this NEW system. T/C in their excitement of these new developements have decided to completely discontinue "fast twist" barrels because they have also determined that roundballs (cast or swagged) bring even more "harmony" to their new flint system. T/C also has decided to discontinue all their other inline rifles in favor of this extraordinaly "NEW" system, and will offere a "buy-back" program of the out-moded 2004 systems (average "buy-back" will be $600.00 for all "PRE-2005" models).

Both T/C and Savage will formally announce these "NEW developements" in Feburay 2005 here on this web site!!

You heard it here first from,.....!!
rolling rat

But RollingRat, !!!!!!!!!! you forgot to mention that due to declining membership in the NMLRA, the NMLRA has decided to reform into the NMRTLFTMA.

(National Modern Rifle That Loads From The Muzzle Association)

:crackup:

Rat

National Rat Pack Association. (NRPA)

But RollingRat, !!!!!!!!!! you forgot to mention that due to declining membership in the NMLRA, the NMLRA has decided to reform into the NMRTLFTMA.

(National Modern Rifle That Loads From The Muzzle Association)

:crackup:

Rat

:hmm: The NMRTLFTMA :hmm:,.... Now thet jest sort'a "roooooolls" off a feller tongue, don't it!!!!!!!!!! :applause: :: (I like it!!)

YMHS
rollingr

[quote
[/quote]

or...

National Muzzle Loading Ratpack Association
::

or...

National Muzzle Loading Ratpack Association
::

Let's see :hmm:,.... thet would be NMLRA (seem's like I've heard'a thet "association" sumwhers before)!! :crackup: :crackup:

YMHS
rollingb 'errrr.. r

I saw several deer but none were within smoothbore my range except for one little fella that would have been an imbarrasment to bring back to camp,and his mama would have been lonely, this was one of the worst seasons I have seen in years for finding deer in the Costal Mts. I will finish up the season down in the valley Jan. and Feb. hopefully with a bit better luck, I saw more sign Sunday down low than I had all season in the high country. Weatherman says there may be some snow down to the valley floor Sat. morn, it doesn't get any better than that...hope he is right.

I saw several deer but none were within smoothbore my range except for one little fella that would have been an imbarrasment to bring back to camp,and his mama would have been lonely, this was one of the worst seasons I have seen in years for finding deer in the Costal Mts. I will finish up the season down in the valley Jan. and Feb. hopefully with a bit better luck, I saw more sign Sunday down low than I had all season in the high country. Weatherman says there may be some snow down to the valley floor Sat. morn, it doesn't get any better than that...hope he is right.

==========================================================
The rut was early this year...moon was early...seek/chase phase here was just ending when my season opened in November...only caught a couple of immature stragglers wandering around out in the open during my vacation week while the big boys were back in the thickets making whoopee with the hot does...my vacation was over and I was back at work by the time they came back out of the thickets...

Back