• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice on new BP gun kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothymattson

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am looking to get another (my second) BP handgun in the form of a kit for this coming winter. Appreciate any opinions based on your experience. My current BP is 44 cal so looking for someting bigger.
Thanks in advance.

I have been playing around with making a gun in kit form though I usually make and sell complete flintlock and percussion guns. I would recommend a custom kit if you could get it. What kind of work would you be willing to do for the complete product? If that route isnt for you, Lyman, Traditions, and Pedersoli make solid kits. My only beef is that the guns are quite generic. Call me a traditionalist for trying to copy originals. What kind of caliber did you want to get into?

At least .50 cal, bigger if possible. When you say a custom kit as opposed to a kit from an existing existing company, what exactly do you mean?
I am not opposed to putting in more work, I guess it would come down to the tools and skills required, putting in the extra time and research does not scare me away, I like to experiment and learn new stuff.

There is always this one from Chambers. They run about $415-$425 for the kit & another $175-$180 for the barrel plus about $40 shipping. They're not cheap.

Latest posts

Back