• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

After deer season letdown, what do you hunt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hunt hogs. Actually, even during deer season, unless the land owner says to leave the hogs alone (which I have only had happen once cause he was worried the gunfire would scare off the deer), I will take a hog before a deer if the opportunity arises. Just as good eating, and the hogs do damage, so it helps everyone involved. Love small game hunting too, but I see more hogs than rabbits on most of my hunts, and squirrels seem to concentrate on my garden, so I get plenty of them there, just don't get to use a ML there.

My deer season ends next weekend here in Texas then I'll hunt squirrels and hogs. Squirrel goes through the end of Febuary. Hogs are year round but I don't hunt them when it gets hot.

Sheds, man. Sheds.

PD

standard.jpg

For me it's ducks, ptarmigan and snowshoe hare. Duck season runs through most of January, ptarmigan til April, and there's no closed season snowshoe hare. And no bag limit on the snowshoes. Our ptarmigan limit is liberal at 20 per day, so I certainly don't lack for opportunities.

I've always wanted to hunt ptarmigan.

Our deer season runs through mid January. Then it'll be time to hunt hogs. Then spring turkey season. After that, I'd just as soon hibernate...it'll get too hot to do anything more strenuous than sitting in a river.

In PA flintlock goes to the second weekend in January. After that, me and my good hunting friend put out a dozen trail cameras and swap SD cards every Sunday until about March. Amazing how many bucks make it through the winter.

I go for squirrels, and rabbits, and geese, and in the Spring this year I will be going for Turkey.

When that's done it's ground hogs, and feral cats.

Yes folks, we have some areas where there is a problem with feral cats where I live. They tear up the rabbit and game bird population (not to mention the songbirds) something fierce. No, I don't whack the barn cats on private property. They are there to keep the mice and rats down. On the public lands where I hunt, if I see a cat, it's too far off private property to be considered anything but feral.

(folks are probably going to tell me now that domesticated pet cats or even barn cars can roam for several miles..., well if they are competing with me for game, they lose. So do coyotes and coyote/dog mixed breeds - we're seeing those down here too)

LD

Those darn cats are every where...
They can be pretty cagey too....
inside cats =pets
field cats = targets...Big difference.
Would like to see a bounty...

22fowl said:
inside cats =pets

A "pet" is defined as an animal that you can pet....
If you can't pet it.....It's fair game...

i hunt wild hogs. Try to hunt hogs at least one day each week, year around. Since May i've killed about 15 boar hogs that went over 250 pounds with a conventional muzzleloader. Just sneak up on the suckers and put patched round balls in their ears.

colorado clyde said:
22fowl said:
inside cats =pets

A "pet" is defined as an animal that you can pet....
If you can't pet it.....It's fair game...

You can pet it after you shoot it. :rotf:

Back