• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any of you folks use Conicals in yer GPR?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot Shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm think'n 'bout get'n a quicker twist barrel and try'n conicals fer Deer hunting.

Any of you folks got a GPR in 54 call 1:32 twist spitt'n concials?

Spot

I don't have one, but why would you want to waste the money on a fast twist barrel for your GPR? Especially if you have a .54 cal.. The .54 will take any deer, or elk, and costs a lot less to shoot than conicals do. JMO

Sometimes it's fun just to try other things...I've always thought the .45cal / 255grn TC Maxi-Hunter conical was a good bullet and they always shot great in my TC 1:48" percussions;

Then a couple months ago I stumbled across a steal on auction for 3 dozen boxes of them DELIVERED for about $2.50 a box...they were UN-lubricated but I already had tubes of natural lube 1000 plus the luber attachment, and it only takes a few minutes per box to apply the lube.

Tried them at 50yds in a standard 1:48" TC .45cal flintlock I have and they were perfect, so now I have a good reason to hunt that standard .45cal flinter!

::

Hey Spot Shooter,
When I bought my 1st GPR, it was a qiuck twist (hunter)
.50 caliber, it shoots conicals better than I expected.
It's what I use for deer hunting, & not that it's a big
deal, but for quick reloading you don't have to deal with a
patch.
Conicals being heavier than a ball of course, do anchor
the game quite well.
But for all other shooting, I have a slow twist .54
barrel that shoots patched ball better than anything
I own. :)

Yes as a matter of fact I do.
I bought a Lyman GPR .54 with 1:32 twist about 4 years ago. I put a Lyman peep on her and she's a shooter.
The only reason for owning a bullet shooter is
because you want to!
I had good success with REAL boolits, Maxiballs, (GREAT name for a boolit what?) but stumbled upon the Lyman sabot ( :what:) with the 335 grain pointed h.p. and it was love after that.
:redthumb:
Kilt my first non-inline deer with that gun and bullet over 90 grains of Elephant 2fg.
She were a fat doe standing facing me at 80 long paces, I took the offhand shot, hit her in the brisket and she fell dead as virginity. Never even twitched. Found the fully expanded boolit in a rear ham, the thing transversed the length of a 140 pound doe.
Cleanest kill I ever made.
Sure the .54 r.b. will take anything you want within range, but NO roundball can out perform a boolit.
Nothing against roundballs, but physics is physics.
With that load combo I've shot 1" groups at 75 yards.
By all means get the 1:32. I'd bet the powerbelt lead h.p. would work great in the 330 to 450 weight range. All depends on what you're shoulder will take.
Roundballs work great, boolits work BETTER.
Hot diggity thet orta git some life inta this board! ::

Well, i guess that's a reaosn to do it then, if if i don't agree with the law. Sure hope they don't try to do that here. Good luck. You might try a Buffalo Ball-ett in your slow twist barrel. It should be considered a conical, and usually does well in a slow twist.

Reb,

I'd heard thet REAL bullets were "OK" in a slow twist rig, I don't know.

Spot

I surprised no one took up that issue that Conicals perform better than any Round Ball..... Guess the round ball guy's must have lost that fight.

Spot

Reb,

I'd heard thet REAL bullets were "OK" in a slow twist rig, I don't know.

Spot

I surprised no one took up that issue that Conicals perform better than any Round Ball..... Guess the round ball guy's must have lost that fight.

Spot

Spot a hornady plains bullet of 425gr hp will stabalize in my 1in60 twist.Used goex 3f an best groups were at 70gr.They do make a considerble recoil.I perfer shooten the round ball since im not gonna shoot far anyways,but if i couldnt use em because of the law i would use the 425 hp.I was only shooten at 50 yards so i cant say how they would do at say 100.At 50 they were on target.Might be worth a try an cheaper than a fast twist barrel. :winking:

Gim-inee crickets! a 425 gr anything makes my hair stand up!

Huh...... I had to go through all the "trials" to find some dang'd conical that'll shoot nice in my slow twist barrel, but it does beat pay'n 125 bucks more to do the barrel swap.

Aww.... shooooot.
Spot

I have found that you can shoot just about
anything out of the slow twist barrel. BUT,
I never had any luck shooting patched round
ball out of my .50 / 1:32, it just does not
work for me. That's what put me on the trail
looking for the slow twist barrel. With the
extra barrel, I can cast and experiment with
alot of different "boolits". :haha: Good
humor on this forum !

Latest posts