• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

anything close to Kibler ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please don’t insult Jim Kibler’s kits by comparing them to anything pumped out by TVM.
great day! hanshy wasn't insulting anybody. he was simply answering a question that was asked. he wasn't "comparing" one gun kit to another. he said they were both good, and just told what each one offered,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yes but I thought he already shipped smooth bore models. I'll see when its release I guess :)
If you look at northwest trade guns, fusils, etc, they tend to be larger in bore size and have different stock shapes and styles. Yes, Kibler offers smoothbores, but I would assume this will be more of a fowling piece than colonial smoothie

The Track of The Wolf SMR was quite a bit of work. It still cost me almost a thousand dollars and I had to wait 6 months for the tiger maple to show up. That did give me some time to get going on the iron castings still in the rough with the vent sprues attached. About the only thing I need to learn how to do that I've not tried before is drill the loading rod hole.
I would like to learn some modest carving techniques as well.
My biggest challenge of the whole build was getting the nose cap to a no gap fit on barrel and stock. That surprised me as I though it would be quite easy to do but getting all the compound angles on wood and steel to merge took me quite a bit more time than I expected.

Last edited:
If you look at northwest trade guns, fusils, etc, they tend to be larger in bore size and have different stock shapes and styles. Yes, Kibler offers smoothbores, but I would assume this will be more of a fowling piece than colonial smoothie
yes sir i think that is correct. he said the gun would be a light one around 6lbs in 16ga. i didn't realize he was putting out a smooth colonial already,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

For a kit gun, nothing comes close in fit and finish.

Now I am thinking of one of his Southern Mountain Rifles. At the base price of even 1075.00 it's a bargain for what you get. I know I don't need anymore! LOL

IMG_0767.JPG
IMG_0768.JPG
IMG_4460.JPG

Hi,
Kibler's are unmatched for fit of parts and level of shaping on the stock right out of the box. However, you can turn a Chambers kit into just as fine a gun but it takes more work. The upside of that, is you have more freedom to modify it the way you desire. With a Kibler, it is very hard to alter it much and regardless of how you finish it or decorate it, it will always be recognizable as a Kibler kit.

dave

Latest posts

Back