• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a nice custom .54 percussion rifle. What ball size should I use? I have a few .530 RBs I will try first. Would .535 be better, with a lubed ticking patch? Also, I only have 3F powder on hand. Will this be OK or do I need 2F?
It depends on the gun. I have a CVA Hawken from the 80's in .54 that likes .535 with a .010 patch and will shoot either 80 grains of 3F or 90-100 of 2F.
My woodsrunner runs .530 and 80 grains of 3F great with .018 pillow ticking patch. Read your patches.

Most people will advise starting with .530" balls. If it were me, I would start with .526". Life can be such a freakin' battle sometimes that the last thing I want to do is fight with my rifle while loading it. I like to keep some alternative ball sizes handy, though... .520", .526", .530", .535"... All of those are available precast and/or swaged, and in my opinion it is worth investing in an assortment of ball sizes to have on hand. Your rifle will tell you which it prefers.

Years ago, the experts were advising 2F powder for anything .50 caliber and above, and my dad preferred 1F in his 12 gauge Scott double. I still use 2F in my .54's. However, a lot of people now seem to be shooting 3F in everything. It is more energetic than 2F, so you might get away with a slightly lighter charge. As with the balls, it can be worthwhile to have some alternatives available, so when it's convenient you might get a bottle of 2F to try. Different brands of powder (e.g. Goex, Swiss, Scheutzen, Olde Eynsford, Grafs...) in the same nominal granulation may burn differently, also. Again, your rifle will tell you what it likes if you experiment.

However, if you already have .530" balls and 3F powder, I think you are probably good to go, at least for a start.

Be safe, and have fun with your new rifle! A custom .54... We'll be wanting some pictures, you know.

Notchy Bob

I have three 54s. All three are happy with either 530 or 535 balls as long as the patch is tough and a good fit. I've been loading 3f only for quite a few years. No good reason, I had quite a bit on hand and when it was running out I got more of the same.

@tallPercshooter, the initial ball size will depend on the land-to-land diameter of your rifle. The initial ball size is 0.010" less than the land to land diameter of the barrel. The initial patch selection should have a compressed thickness of the groove depth plus 0.005". As speculations go, the 0.530" ball is a good starting size. Ultimately, your rifle will inform you of the best ball and patch combination.

Rifle is used but excellent condition. Built by Jack Garner. 36 inch barrel. LOP is good for me and I'm 6 ft 6.

1718727857445.png

Back