• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, there are several reasons why I prefer to smoke squirrels.

1. It’s done outside so no mess in the house.

2. They taste fantastic.

3. They are not greasy.

4. After getting the smoker up to temperature and smoking, I can walk away and do other things. I check on them about every 30-45 minutes or so.

5. I smoke a bunch at one time.

I reckon everyone has their favorite method, but that’s just me.
Smoking them tenderizers the tough little buggers?

Smoking them tenderizers the tough little buggers
Chris and BS 2366.

What it does is it removes any rubber-like meat. If done properly and not overdone on too high of temperature, it has the texture of moist-like jerky that’s not difficult to chew. I prefer to baste it a time or two with the marinade during the smoking process and keep the temp down a bit. One thing to be watchful of is those tiny front legs, as they will be done sooner than the thicker rear legs and back.

My own marinade is hickory BBQ sauce, mix in some brown sugar and water. Put squirrels in that over night in the fridge. Then use the same marinade to baste with.

Trust me on this, it’s well worth it. Also, if you put them through a vacuum sealer and put them into a freezer, they will last for a year at least. All you have to do is thaw them out. Best part is, you can smoke a lot at one time, depending on the size of your smoker.

It’s not even necessary to keep putting wood chips in the smoker. After 30-45 minutes or so of actual smoke, the smoke taste is already in the meat. However, I sometimes will keep the smoke going for longer.

Last edited:
ETipp.... what temp do you smoke them at? I have a tall/box smoker, using propane. You doing 150? 175? How long?
Oh man, I’ve been trying to remember that but it escapes my memory at this time. I do know that I turn the temperature up until the wood chips start to smoke and then back it down just enough to keep the smoke rolling.

I apologize but I smoke a lot of deer meat and fish during warm and cold weather conditions. They tend to require different temperatures, depending on the size of chunks.

In terms of time, I check the meat every time I reapply marinade. That’s usually after the first hour for a the first time and about 45 minutes the other time. So yeah, total smoker time about 2 to 2.5 hours until done.

Well guys, I believe I’ve figured out something, by chance. During the last two weeks of spring season, squirrel activity was scarce. It was also very hot and dry out in the woods. Well, a couple evenings ago it came a pretty good rain for about an hour or two, then the temps dropped. The temperature Has been much cooler since then and I have been seeing a fair number of squirrels here at home as well as when driving to/from town. So, my guess is that the squirrels were not liking that hot and dry weather anymore than I did. Pretty sure this is why they were staying up in the tops of the tres where there was a breeze and air flowing where it was cooler.

Just a guess but I’m pretty sure I’m on the right track.

Also, the darn wind is still blowing here. Strange weather this year.

Last edited:
I guess most of us feral Illinois fellas ate similar foods cooked in a similar fashion. A lot of those things I'll never experience again, but I try to get as close as possible. I even cook cornbread in a cast iron pan like my ma, just not as big of one.
I like to get the Dutch Oven out and make us some killer stews.

Brother get ya a Crockett Rifle or a Kibler .32 caliber SMR.
You'll be happy with either one.

Just do it...
Been looking at the Traditions Crockett rifle kits. Around $479-$530. Probably don't need to spend the $ on a Kibler for squirrels. Would love to! But not smart on my part

Been looking at the Traditions Crockett rifle kits. Around $479-$530. Probably don't need to spend the $ on a Kibler for squirrels. Would love to! But not smart on my part
I hear ya. There is a big difference.
You will be happy with a Crockett.
I shot 20 grains FFF I've read where some guys use 15 to 18 grains.

I was saving up for a Kibler SMR and ETipp made me buy a Crockett Rifle..
I'm glad he did...

LOL

Squirrel hunting is the bomb.com

Regardless of your tool of choice. Squirrels are a real trip for hunters.
You are 100% correct.
As a kid it was granddad's .410/22 over/under.
Back at the turn of the century my wife got me and SxS 12ga muzzleloader for our 5th anniversary. I loved it and still do.
Last year I started hunting them with .32 PRBs not very successful though. That's about to change, Monday the 1st year round squirrel season opens and I'm going..

Back