• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel seasoning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
only porus metals cast iron etc. can be seasoned. like a frying pan. modern steels lack the ability to be seasoned . you cant season a forged steel frying pan for that reason.

What happens when a barrel is cut rifled or even bottoned, to a lessor extent, is a knap or texture is left behind from the boring,reaming and rifling operation.
Barrel break in is a more accurate term in my opinion and is the smoothing and leveling of these machined surfaces though lapping or lots of shooting and proper cleaning by patch abrasion of both cloth and paper.
The other thing that happens is barrel steel compression and relaxation from the compression of the exploding propellant.
The later is why the old mild cast steel barrels always shot better after being shot for a while and then re-rifled. This practice was used by some match barrel makers in the percussion era.
The micro porosity has very little to do with barrel performance if the steel is uniform and consistent through out, free of voids and inclusions.

rj morrison said:
only porus metals cast iron etc. can be seasoned. like a frying pan. modern steels lack the ability to be seasoned . you cant season a forged steel frying pan for that reason.
I have seasoned both modern steel pans and woks, the same way I do my cast iron.

Me too. I also remember the teaching about never cleaning those pans with soapy water since it removes the seasoning and contaminates the pan. We clean our guns with soapy water, yes? Nuff said.

If you must season your barrel, at least use the good stuff.

DB-Header-Logo1.png

http://www.dbseasonings.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that advice.
Next time the barrel on my rifle gets hot to the touch I will use DB on a weaner load with about 10 grains of 2F. When its nicely done I will then shoot it into a hot dog roll.
Happy BBQ season. :thumbsup:
O.
P.S. Who can recommend a good sauce ? Chili ?

19 16 6 said:
Thanks for that advice.
Next time the barrel on my rifle gets hot to the touch I will use DB on a weaner load with about 10 grains of 2F. When its nicely done I will then shoot it into a hot dog roll.
Happy BBQ season. :thumbsup:
O.
P.S. Who can recommend a good sauce ? Chili ?
41NtYH5LpZL.jpg

Check local laws before ordering a sauce gun.

Wembley-Limited-Edition-Pistol-Formation-Tailgate-Sauce-Gun.jpg

That stuff might be fine for double barrels but I bet it wouldn't work on a single barrel trade gun worth a hoot. :hmm:

I use spice berries from Kentucky for barbequing hams people here in Ohio really like it once they try it. But the problem is finding the spice berries.I have a friend in Kentucky who picks me some when his woods has them. They grow wild :idunno:

Glade I am not a "Seasoned" hunter just an old guy set in his ways.. Shoot the rifle will do two things,,improve you marksmenship and could wear the barrel in some ,,at the very least it will make you happy..

I just read an article on this forum concerning seasoning of a muzzleloader barrel. Very informative. The just of said article was that only iron barrels of yesteryear should be seasoned because they are of iron and not steal. Iron being very poris will receive seasoning grease. Steal, not being very poris will only be gumed up by said grease. This all hitts home to me. Recently I began using T/C bore butter on a steal barrel. In one shooting seasion I had a gumed up barrel with ignition problems. So, season are dont season?

If you like rust continue to use bore butter. You can't season your barrel, it was an advertising gimmick. I use a mixture of bear oil and bees wax and I also use Mr. Flintlocks lube.
NW

Let the fight begin for 1,999 times.

Seasoning, geez.
How do I sight in my gun.
How do I clean my gun.
How do I pull a stuck brass brush.
Sprue up or or down.

And these folks are allowed to handle loaded fire arms on public ranges without adult supervision?

Durn scary.

Honest to god there was a guy on another forum who asked what size drill bit to use for a 1/4" hole.

Half the fun of shooting muzzleloaders is sorting through all the different ideas and colorful suggestions one hears about what works the best for your gun.

Don't let the bass turds get you down with their negative remarks. Keep asking questions. Bring up any subject you want about black powder and shooting. The more you ask and the more searching you do for info; the more you learn. Take advantage of the huge knowledge base available on this forum. Enjoy.

Back