• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beginning to lose my interest...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
I've been losing more and more interest in big game hunting over the past few years, even including deer hunting...and I assume / wonder if that's a fairly normal thing that comes with age or what.

For example, I used to have ideas tucked away in the back of my mind about guided hunting trips for moose, elk, bear, etc...but I have to be honest and say I no longer have those feelings...and getting down to the root cause is that I just no longer have any interest in killing those fine animals just to kill them and say that I did.

Its getting about the same with regular deer hunting...I've been very lucky to have had good private hunting places to hunt for decades now and have also been lucky to have done well over those years, and some were real good bucks...but even deer hunting is losing a little of its shine.

For the first time ever I actually paused the other day and wondered if I wanted to take my normal two weeks vacation during the rut here...2nd & 3rd weeks of November...or if I'd just take a week and call it a season whether I score a good buck or not.

On the other hand I've thoroughly enjoyed playing with smoothbores the past 2-3 years, developing black powder loads, learning about jug chokes, taking some turkeys, doves, crows, squirrels, etc.

Wondering if anybody else experienced anything like this...

I think it might come with age.

My Dad was a hunter his whole life up until about 5-6 years ago and he just didn't feel like hunting any more. He's 74 now so I guess he's just too tired to do it.

HD

I've lost a lot of my enthusium for the hunt, but the causes for that are many.
Age, certainly, is a factor. I'm in good shape for my 60 years, but I sure can't do now what I could easily do 30 years ago. I like to hunt the far country, away from most other people. I hike into remote spots. But, hauling big game out of such places is getting to be more than I can handle alone.
Over the years my hunting pardners have faded away. Some stopped hunting. Some died. I go alone now, but I must admit that I miss my old pardners.
I've killed enough game over the years that filling my tag no longer matters to me. I can legally take a total of 5 deer in TN., but just one is all that I want. One deer in the freezer and I'm done. My wife doesn't eat venison. My kids are grown and gone. No one to eat it except me. One is all I need. One deer, one bear, one boar would be nice, but I've never connected with all three in a season, yet.
My first hunting season was 1958. I started out on rabbits. The '50s and '60s were a terrific time for small game hunting. Rabbits, pheasant, grouse, squirrel, etc. etc. it seems were everywhere. Land, if it wasn't posted, was considered open to hunt. No need to ask permission. Times have sure changed. Finding a place to hunt can be a problem today. And, small game numbers are now a fraction of what they once were.
I remember the old days, and now things just ain't the same!
However, I'm looking forward to disappearing into the mountain forests soon. I'll hike in, set up a base camp, and spend some pleasant time alone enjoying the solitude and quiet. If I even see any big game I'll consider the hunt a success.

Had the same feelings a few years back. Didn't even get out into the field for three years running. Then some friends said they wanted to go deer hunting but had no place to go. I have a ranch I inherited, so suggested they take a weekend and use it.
I went along but did not plan to hunt. But seeing their enthusiasm rekindled a spark in me. The corker was when one of them brought his son and the boy got his first deer.
Now for me hunting is more than the hunt -- it's the fellowship and sharing of the excitement.

Hell no never, I've been hunting whitetails since 73' and the desire is still as strong as the first day I went and sat down on the mountain so long ago.

just about all hunts in Southern Idaho are a draw system for Deer and elk. We do have some open hunting oppertunity but for VERY small deer or cow elk. If I get a good tag I get very into big game hunting. If I have to go on open hunts I don't go all out any more. This year I have to go on open hunts for deer. I will hunt maybe 6 days or so. On my deer hunt last year I spent 55 days in the field. I didn't get a monster but saw and passed some great deer. I have a Bull tag this year. I will focus on this tag.
When I was younger I spent VAST amounts of time hunting. I think it was more about learning how to hunt, where to hunt, and when to hunt. Now that I have things a little more figured out I don't spend as much time hunting and I get better animals. I LOVE to see my kids shoot game. Ron

The Feeling Comes And Goes With Me But This
Season Will Be My Grandson's First Season
So Some Of The Excitement Is Back :thumbsup:
So It is going To Be A Good Year Anyway
it turns Out. It's All Good.
--------------------------
Dan-L

Had this discussion last year, the night before the pheasant opener. Back when we first started hunting together, we'd be up way before dawn and standing at the end of the field waiting for it to get light enough to start hunting.

Now we have breakfast, a cup or two of coffee, discuss the wind direction and who needs to stick to the even ground because of bad knees. Still enjoy running the dogs and missing an easy shot still gets you the same ration of (*%*^.

I guess we just have a more relaxed attitude about it now and a little less blood lust.

Roundball I'm thinken its the age, I'm 55 now n the last few years that urge just ain't really been there. Now I still enjoy going out for squirrel a couple times a season but it seems I would rather sit n enjoy the peace n quite n watch what mother nature brings by then really hunt hard. Also seems that the older I get even though the eyes ain't what they used to be, I see or notice more of the little things now, a mouse working under the leaves n poping up here n there. the hawk or owl sitting way up in the pine, tucked back tight to the trunk, the smell of the wind when rain or snows commen.Now I seen, smelled, felt n tasted all this stuff a thousand time before but I seem to enjoy it more now. hee hee Maybe we just grew up n realize our own mortality n want to cram something different into life from here on out. But that wild game shor nuff do taste wonerful on the plate with biscuts

Yes, I understand. That is why though I like to trophy hunt. I will absolutely not waste the animal, but I love to hunt for the horns. A great season is one in which I have seen the animal of my dreams. The icing on the cake is if I can get a crack at him. A good season is one in which I just enjoy being out there. Filling my tag is not needed, filling my head with memories are. :wink:

I've seen it happen with almost all the aging hunters I know. Happening to me too, right now.

If you need a more public example, go back and read both Jack Oconnor and Elmer Keith over the years. Couldn't be any more visible and enthusiastic big game hunters. Yet at some point both got more serious about birds than big game. Easy to see now, but in my youth I just couldn't understand it at all.

Yes and no but I think I know where you are coming from. When I was a lot younger all I wanted to do was get a lot of trophies. The bigger the better. Now a days if I had a permit to shoot a doe, I might just prefer that and let some other fellow have the big buck. I have become comfortable with my hunting.

It sounds crazy but I've sort of drifted back to squirrel hunting. You can shoot squirrels all day long and you have to move around, that's a lot more fun than being plunked in a tree stand looking at the same patch of woods all day. Squirrels taste great IMHO and they are easy to haul out of the woods. There is challenge enough in hitting them as long as you don't use a shotgun.
If I was in the far wild places needing meat to eat, and the country abounded with big game, then fine, count me in, all for it. There was days in the far north where I'd see seven or eight moose a day. A guy I know that hunts the southern tier in NYS said he still sees 30 deer a day in his spot. That said, squirrels give you lots of shots in the course of a day. Sneaking up on them when the leaves are bone dry is challenge enough. I suppose bird hunting would be the same or predator hunting. What about PC fur trapping. Trapping is a science that requires a lot of wood lore. Keeping it new makes things interesting.

I think we all take different paths in our hunting lives,using ML's is certainly a way to get a new perspective on the sport, I have come to just enjoy getting out now and then, at one time a whole week of hard hunting was the norm but now a few weekends in period clothes with a fintlock smoothbore for beast or fowl yields more satisfaction than the many memories of the days that put all the horns on the wall or the pics of Salmon or blanket Beaver, the kill is only a small part now, several years ago on ML opening day a I had split up with my partner to hunt some brushy gullies in the Mt.s, I got back first and while sitting on a dirt berm behind the truck saw three nice does coming out of the thick stuff, I layed down on the berm and watched them slowly cone my way and walk slowly by about 20 yds away, my partner saw me and climed the berm quietly and layed beside me and whisperd which one was I going to take.... I softly said neither... that would end my hunting for the season, but told him to take which ever one he wanted, he raised his gun but never shot, then he said "I want to hunt some more this year to" and we packed up and went to another area to finish the day. That is what it is all about.

I enjoy hunting more than every...Because I've allowed myself to slow down and enjoy the moment..

My first love was squirrel hunting and I continue to have several squirrel hunts each year...What has kept deer hunting fresh are several things...

1)We hunt our own land, the land is farmed and we have taken some for our use a food plots, not just for deer but for other species as well...
This adds more interest to the sport because you are managing the land...

2)Nieces/nephews...Bringing younger hunters into our camp really adds the excitement back...
I've also taken a few clients up there as well, and it has paid off with my business...

3)I eat deer and love to cook...Frankly, if I didn't eat deer, don't know if it would be worth it...I might kill 1-2 a year, but not 6-8...

Frankly, one reason I enjoy it so much is that with the years of experience that I have, I know where to go to see deer, where the scrapes will be, what type days are best to hunt,what their preferred food is and where it is located, etc..So
it's not about "if" I'll see deer, it's just how many and how big...I guess it's a good comfort level...

I am only 37 but this season is a year I am wondering about hunting. I have never taken a true 150 monster or better but taken several nice bucks. I am going to try and hunt only with flintlock and period dress this year just to try and get back the excitement. I am blessed with private land but around me are killers. I try and let the small bucks go but I am getting frustrated when they jump the fence and get shot. That is why I am going old school. I think it will help me get excited again. Plus my daughter is going to hunt this year for the first time that pumps me up. I hope she gets all my deer it would be the best season ever if she does. I still love the woods so im gonna go listen to what God has to say to me in it. I will just let alot more deer walk than in seasons before. Good luck to you all!!!!!

I spend a lot of time on my hunts. I have to scout the country, which includes a lot of time in the woods...with a good book. I have to develop a load and sight in a rifle, which involves a lot of time at the range...playing with guns. I then spend a lot of time hunting which consists of sitting in the woods with a possibles bag full of a sack lunch and a good book. Its quiet out there, I see something new every time I go and there is no -deleted- telephone ringing.I usually take a nap. Every now and then some ignorant deer wanders by and wakes me up. I am not as blood thirsty as I was as a teenager, but I still love to hunt. Its just that my definition of hunting has changed.

Roundball, I wouldn't write your feelings off to an "age thing." It might be that your interests and tastes have changed, for whatever reason.
The opportunity to find new passions in life makes it all the more sweeter, and less boring. Perhaps your going through a "been there, done that" state of mind with big game and have found a new love with the smoothbores as you've said.

I used to live for fly fishing. Take any day off during steelhead season rain or shine and you'd find me on the river at the crack of dawn. Not so much anymore. I still get the bug from time to time and get into my waders, but I've lost the feeling of guilt I had about not keeping up with it like I used to...life's too short.

I think I understand what you mean. It's not an "old" thing, but maturity. You want to get into the details of the shooting and developing loads, because you've "mastered" other parts of the hunting (I've seen your pics-nice deer). You enjoy helping others with your time and experience with the rifles and smoothbores, and we thanks you for that.

My dad had both hips replaced in the last 8 months, but can't wait to go deer hunting this fall. We had to back off this year on the bear hunting trip to Canada because of this. I spent last deer season helping him to the stands, dragging his deer, etc., but wouldn't miss these times with him. Now, I love to hunt, but get excited because my daughter is now hunting with me (she's 12). I relive what I went through at her age every time I go out and witness something with her. I've seen it 1,000 times, but this is her first time seeing it. Gotta love these times!

Life is a journey, not a "get-there-n-stay-there" kinda thing. Welcome the new stage and continue to do your best at it. I'm sure you'll do well. Good luck!

Swamp Rat said:
Hell no never, I've been hunting whitetails since 73' and the desire is still as strong as the first day I went and sat down on the mountain so long ago.

Amen Brother!
I also got back into upland hunting a few years ago as we owe it to our brace of Gordons to take them out to work for something they were bred for.
The past few Winters I have rekindled my interest in predator hunting. Only now I use an open sighted capper with roundballs instead of my scoped .260 shooting partitions.
I have the woods to myself in Winter and find calling coyotes within range of a roundball very challenging.

I think everybody goes thru stages like this, I did in my early forties when I didnt hunt for three years. Maybe you need to take a break for a while. Try target shooting for a while or something else that interests you. Keep in touch on this site, would hate to loose someone with your knowledge and experience.

Back