• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Squirrel State

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Which State has the best squirrel hunting.
Long Seasons.
BIG mature hardwood forests for trekking and hunting.
Lots of squirrels would also help.

PJC

Illinois squirrel season starts AUgust 1st and runs through the middle of January. Southern Illinois has alot of places for good squirrel hunting.

Missouri's season runs from Memorial Day to Feb 15 and we have lots of hardwood forests, though most of the National Forest are in the south Eastern part of the state.

Season starts last of sept. and runs to feb. Lots of national forest land with big timber too! We have grey squirrells and fox squirrels! I don't know if its the best but I do know its real good!!! :thumbsup: Buck

i think Missouri may have the longest season in the country. like J.D. said memorial day weekend through febuary 15th,only closed for about three months of the year and the squirrels are thick this year. just too hot to hunt them now. what part of the state are you located J.D. i'm in west central Missouri, about a 70 mile shot straight south of Kansas City.

Mr. PJC,
Here in our part of the state of Alaska, the season is open year round but the Squirrels are on the small side. Taste good though. And there are a LOT of them!!!!!!
Best Wishes

Hello, living in northeast Ohio I have found some wonderful areas for squirrel hunting. Season runs from mid-late August to the end of January. Nothing beats a nice Ohio fall morning or afternoon sitting in the woods watching the leaves change colors and fall. The squirrels are an added bonus! ml68

david50 said:
i think Missouri may have the longest season in the country. like J.D. said memorial day weekend through febuary 15th,only closed for about three months of the year and the squirrels are thick this year. just too hot to hunt them now. what part of the state are you located J.D. i'm in west central Missouri, about a 70 mile shot straight south of Kansas City.

I'm about an hour due south of St. Louis and within an hour and a half drive of much of the National forest. There are a lot of good trekking and hunting areas in those woods, though I have only explored a small part of it.

Do you attend any events at Ft. DeChartre? The fort is a good place to hang out. The November woodswalk is a hoot. Gotta be ready for nearly anything. Some of those boys that set it up are pretty devious. Sometimes the targets even shoot back.

Good luck,
J.D.

The best squirrel hunting is in the woodlot behind my father's house in Northwest, IN. Big fat, corn fed fox squirrels! I only hunt it once a year, but with so little pressure, the rodents almost walk right in to my game bag. :grin:
Truthfully, though, northern Indiana is riddled with Oak woodlots surrounded by corn fields. The Squirrels are everywhere and fat. The season is Aug 15th to Dec. 31st.

J.D. i aint ever been there but sure would like to some day,lot of fur trade history on your side of the state.

Can't say I've given much thought to it, but my hunting spot (in Missouri) is lousy with squirrels to the point of being a nuisance. Lots of oak trees and corn and beans.

Here in Ontario we do not have fox squirrel. Or at least not many. We have some grey squirrels that comes in a couple of color variations. The typical grey color, a fox squirrel color and a black squirrel. All can come out of the same litter. Our limit is 5 and I have limited out several times but it is a special day when you do.
Our woodlots are not that big in southern Ontario.

PJC.

Yeah, but those squirrels of yours come with those neat little fur coats and hats that they have to wear just to survive the cold! :rotf: :rotf: :thumbsup:

Lots of public land here in Michigan with lots of suqirrels. Our season runs from September 15 - March 31.
Great squirrel hunting here.
Dan

don't know about the season length but dern if Georgia don't have a bumper crop of squacks. there is even a county road off U.S 76 in North Ga. named 'squirrel huntin' road'. I shot 5 out of 1 hickory tree an afternoon on my brother-in-law's land near a farm on that road.

Don't laugh at Massachusetts. Our squirrel season runs from September 1st to January 15th. We have a limit of five per day but no Sunday hunting. Rifles and handguns can be used west of the eastern Worcester county border.

One thing to remember is that squirrel hunting is not all that popular here in Massachusetts. I have seen only one other person in all of the years in the woods. Most people hunt deer with the bow, shotgun or muzzleloader, spring turkey and pheasants. All the rest tend to be way behind.

Most people nowadays don't realize what a good meal squirrell makes! Just curious, You fellars do beleive in eaten whatcha kill right?

buck1 said:
Most people nowadays don't realize what a good meal squirrell makes! Just curious, You fellars do beleive in eaten whatcha kill right?

That's why I don't care to squirrel hunt. I just never did care much for it.

Back