• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder Solvents

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KV Rummer said:
I have used "Black Powder Bore Cleaning Solvent" purchased from TOTW. I have squirted it on a black, dirty patch and then found the patch gets cleaner with more passes down the bore.

This indicates to me that if this stuff cleans the residue off the patch it is doing the same thing with the bore.

If you cut it 50-50 with water it works even better.

luie b said:
I know this topic has been beat to death many times and I know that many of you will always say that water is the best way to clean bp but what solvent is best for dissolving real black powder? I have heard of t/c no. 13 bore cleaner works for it, I know hornady has something that works, and I have heard of butch's bore shine. Are there any others that would clean my gun effectively? I just don't want to be pouring water down my gun because to me that is just asking for rust. Thanks.

Every BP solvent on the market are 80+- percent water. Its what dissolves and washes away BP fouling. The other additives are just snake oil and may actually make the solvent CORROSIVE to some exgtent. Look up the MSDS on the various products. BC 77 is the easiest to find. They are all similar.

If you clean with stuff with water soluble oil mixes it does not clean as well and years ago folks were having trouble with rust using one of the home made WSO recipes. I have never used it.
So if you want to clean BP fouling or even the far more corrosive substitutes, you use water, you can pay through the nose for some commercial solvent with some "magic" mixture where the active ingredient is still water. Or you can get it from the tap. Your choice.
BP does not need hot water and it leads to flash rusting. The corrosive substitutes need hot water to get all the salts out.

Adding stuff to it may be detrimental in the long run.

Dan

R.M. said:
And it seems it's happening again.

Seasons are winding down, tags are filled, weather keeping people inside more, Christmas is here, got more time on our hands, etc :grin:

paulvallandigham said:
Gentlemen: PLEASE. READ MY WORDS CAREFULLY. I was asked what the problem is with using BOILING water-- Not hot water-- not warm water.

If you dry the barrel quickly when its removed from hot water, you can generally avoid flash rusting.

Yes, Flash rusting is not the end of the world- Once. But over many repeated instances of flash rusting, you do begin to see evidence that the smooth surface of the lands and grooves are beginning to fail- pits, and rough spot. Some of these can be dealt with by using lapping compounds, or various abrasives.

But why not avoid the problem by simply using TEPID water? It is just as much a " solvent" as BOILING WATER IS. I used to clean with the hottest water my hands could stand, and dealt with flash rust time after time. I was " Converted" by a wiser shooter than me, to using only Tepid Water( and soap) to clean my gun. I found it not only cleaned the barrel thoroughly, and just as good as my formerly used HOT-HOT-HOT water, but because I didn't have to remove the flash rust, I also didn't have to spend that extra time cleaning after each shoot. My cleaning time dropped in half or more, to the point my wife began to ask me if I had actually cleaned my gun. :hmm: :surrender: :thumbsup:

Ya know what?!? If Paul sez it, I believe it! The man never "B.S's"... 'nuff said. :hatsoff:

Strength and Honor...

Ron T.

I have come up with a compromise. I have an older bp pistol in .45 cal that has definitely seen better days and is a smooth bore so it will never be much of a shooter especially since it has craters in the bore and huge rough spots. I will shoot black powder in it and clean it with the water with dish soap method. Then I have a .45 cal kassnar rifle that is in bad condition and I will shoot black powder out of it and use the black solve the first time I shoot it. Then if it goes well with the pistol I will clean it with water. When I am completely confident of my black powder cleaning methods I will try black powder in my 2 year old traditions kentucky(my good gun). Hopefully I won't screw up at all with that .45 cal rifle so I can sell it in a few months to try to get some of my money back in that investment and will try to buy either a bp shotgun or a squirrel rifle.

Luke warm water with a few squirts of windex or 409 down the barrel works well for me. I use windex or 409 for patch lube also.

Latest posts

Back