• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder Solvents

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
luie b said:
40 Flint said:
I won several containers of Black Solve concentrate about 20 years ago and just now using my last one. Don't know if I will buy anymore or not as after making a quart from the little container, it is obvious that water is doing the work.
Did the stuff work as well as regular water?

Must have, he used it for 20 years. :wink:

I have used "Black Powder Bore Cleaning Solvent" purchased from TOTW. I have squirted it on a black, dirty patch and then found the patch gets cleaner with more passes down the bore.

This indicates to me that if this stuff cleans the residue off the patch it is doing the same thing with the bore.

I think when I get my black powder I will try the black powder solvent that swampy mentioned and butch's bore shine. I have heard good things about that stuff.

The problem with boiling water??

1. Getting burned!

2. The heated barrel, when exposed to air when you pour the water out of the barrel, immediately flash rusts!

paulvallandigham said:

1. Getting burned!

2. The heated barrel, when exposed to air when you pour the water out of the barrel, immediately flash rusts!
For some people it seems that it does, but other report that it doesn't for them. Try it both ways and determine for yourself what works for you.

R.M. said:
paulvallandigham said:

1. Getting burned!

For some people it seems that it does, but other report that it doesn't for them. Try it both ways and determine for yourself what works for you.

I normally let a hooked breech barrel sit in a large 5 gallon bucket of steaming hot soapy for 10-15 minutes while I'm busy cleaning around the tang, then disassemblying the lock to clean and lube it.

If I take the barrel out and lay it down to take a coffee break, it'll get flash rust...but if I take it out, dry patch it, then get a cup of coffee, no problem.

REALITY CHECK FROM HANDS ON EXPERIENCE WITH MY BARRELS:
Flash rust does not mean panic because the sky is falling.

Flash rust is just the lightest hint of a film of powdery surface rust and wipes right off with a WD40 patch 10 minutes later anyway.

I also use hot water and what ever soap is handy. No flash rust problems. Larry Wv

Hello from Germany!

When starting ML shooting I was also a water-only scrubber, but meanwhile I'm a solvent-only cleaner. And I have to say that with solvent and after it, oiling, the rustpreventing us far better.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Gentlemen: PLEASE. READ MY WORDS CAREFULLY. I was asked what the problem is with using BOILING water-- Not hot water-- not warm water.

If you dry the barrel quickly when its removed from hot water, you can generally avoid flash rusting.

Yes, Flash rusting is not the end of the world- Once. But over many repeated instances of flash rusting, you do begin to see evidence that the smooth surface of the lands and grooves are beginning to fail- pits, and rough spot. Some of these can be dealt with by using lapping compounds, or various abrasives.

But why not avoid the problem by simply using TEPID water? It is just as much a " solvent" as BOILING WATER IS. I used to clean with the hottest water my hands could stand, and dealt with flash rust time after time. I was " Converted" by a wiser shooter than me, to using only Tepid Water( and soap) to clean my gun. I found it not only cleaned the barrel thoroughly, and just as good as my formerly used HOT-HOT-HOT water, but because I didn't have to remove the flash rust, I also didn't have to spend that extra time cleaning after each shoot. My cleaning time dropped in half or more, to the point my wife began to ask me if I had actually cleaned my gun. :hmm: :surrender: :thumbsup:

I went to a shoot this fall and noticed that there was a lot of Windex around. Seems almost everyone had Windex and were wiping with it between shots. It works. You can completely clean the bore with it, but the fastest way I have found is a few squirts of Windex down the bore when you are done shooting followed up by water. I put a crumpled piece of ballon ( rubber ) over the nipple or a toothpick in the vent, whichever the case, and pour in water to the top of the bore. let it set a few minutes pour it out and half fill the bore, put you thumb over it and slosh back and forth.You will find what little scrubing is left is minimal. A little WD40 (to get rid of any water left) follwed by Remoil.
I also use Windex to clean up the outside of the gun, follwed by a light coat of Remoil.
Windex is formulated to be used around finely finished wood and has never damaged my stocks.
If you don't believe in the powers of Windex, watch " My Big Fat Greek Wedding" It will make you a believer!

The best black powder fouling solvent extant is soapy water; hot, warm, cold, your choice. I have a barrel that's been cleaned with warm, soapy water for 45 years and the bore is pristine. Nuff said. Just dry thoroughly and oil with a good rust preventative. Don't even try to protect the bore with any of those expensive, non-working butters. They're a scam to make money, like so many other things aimed at muzzy shooters. Even 3 in 1 oil works fine. It ain't rocket science, and even if it were, it's bottle rocket!

Seems like the barrel drys faster with hot water. Feels better when its cold out anyway. :idunno: Larry Wv

Well someone said it "Whatever works for you" or "To each his own" :idunno:

I have a routine that I use cleaning all my
black powder guns and all cleaning begins with the water boiling. :wink:

Been doing it that way for around 20 years without any damage to any of my guns so I guess its " Whatever works for me" :thumbsup:

Hope everyone has a good day and a Merry Christmas.

Wayne/Al

Wayne said:
Been doing it that way for around 20 years without any damage to any of my guns
That's the bottom line...and nothing beats actual hands on experience.

roundball said:
Wayne said:

Your absolutely right, been shooting black powder guns since 77' and rifles since 83' and not one time have I ever used just hot, tepared or cold water to clean my guns.

And no none turned out to be rust buckets. In fact I sold most for more than I paid for them and I know of at least 3 I no longer own that are used every year during hunting season.

Have used water and dish soap but prefer the ease of the TC 17 powder solvent; it is similar to the blue stuff October Country sells. . It's cheap compared to the value of the rifle. I follow with a few dry patches and a couple with either ballistol or bear grease. No rust, mess, and clean as a whistle.

Swampy said:
roundball said:
Wayne said:

Your absolutely right, been shooting black powder guns since 77' and rifles since 83' and not one time have I ever used just hot, tepared or cold water to clean my guns.

And no none turned out to be rust buckets. In fact I sold most for more than I paid for them and I know of at least 3 I no longer own that are used every year during hunting season.

:hmm:
Not sure why you singled out our pro-hot water discussion...we weren't taking any issue with anyone else's choice of cleaning solvents, only clarifying that "our" choice of using hot water does indeed work just fine.

roundball said:
Swampy said:
roundball said:
Wayne said:

:hmm:
Not sure why you singled out our pro-hot water discussion...we weren't taking any issue with anyone else's choice of cleaning solvents, only clarifying that "our" choice of using hot water does indeed work just fine.

And Clarifying mine is all.

Back