• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder turkey hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylinewatcher

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have never hunted turkey with a black powder scatter gun mainly becuase I don't have one. Thought one of these days I may get one and give it a try. Do any of you use this type gun hunting turkey? How much difference could I expect between it and my Chester 1300? I only shoot them up close, so I don't figure it would be a lot.

The only time I've ever been turkey hunting was with a flinter. I haven't been lucky enough to get one yet but many here have with a flinter. Pattern wise your looking at 20, 25 yard shots with most cylinder bore guns but you can jug choke the gun to get a pattern at longer distance.

Thats not too bad at all. Thanks. I guess I should have put that in my question because pattern is my main consideration.

Turkey hunting with a muzzleloader is a good type of hunting...I followed the recommendation at this individual's website and it gets it done with authority.
I substituted 2 Oxyoke prelubed 1/8" wool wads in place of the full size 1/2" cushion wad he speaks of as it tightened up my pattern a tad.
Enjoy!
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/SmoothboreLoads.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. I looked that over and it was very impressive. After reading it I realized the smoothbore would present a lot of shot stringing. A man would need to follow through real good.

If you are a blackpowder enthusiast and a hunter, which I am sure you must be, you have been missing out on the best the two have to offer in combination.

I absolutely think that muzzleloading smoothbores and turkey hunting were meant for each other!

Give me a 15 yard shot at a big, old, sly, fired up, gobbling tom with my muzzleloader and I am close to heaven on Earth!!! In fact, I would rather have the above than a BIG buck at 50 yards with my muzzleloading rifle (even as nice as that opportunity is).

I love the added suspense of needing that bird so close compared to using the smokeless stuff.....it can, has and will take my breath away everytime.

I could go on and on. In short....get a smoothie muzzleloader for those turkeys. You wont look back!

Good luck, Skychief. :thumbsup:

i've felled many a bird with a single shot modern 10ga. this spring is my first time out with a 10ga flint. i can hardely wait!

It is great fun!

I have one cylinder bore that can't be shot past 20 yards and a cva double caplock that is good to 30.

Get out and pattern to see what works for you.

Wess

I have to admit, I'm not a blackpowder enthusiast compared with some on this forum. I got ****** off when I was around 17 years old because A walmart wouldn't sell me any 30-30 shells for opening day. I used a cousins .50 cal ML he had rusting in the closet. Saw I could keep myself locked and loaded on my own hook, as long as i had powder. It wasn't hard to get goex then, they even had it at the country store where we shopped for seed, traps and such. I don't reenact or anything, I just love to hunt with A ML, particularly after I got older and bought my own ML. I also hunt with the long bow, shooting by instinct alone. I have shot many turkeys with my long bow so I may have to give the smoothbore a try. From what you guys tell me, the smoothbore would be right up my alley. I like things that serve multiple purposes. Never even held a smoothbore; is there any thing special I need to know or look for in this type of ML, as far as for turkey hunting and/or the use of shot?

You might want to check your state's game laws before purchasing a ML.

Here in MN, there are separate regulations for Turkey Hunting not found in the general game laws: ML must be 12ga or larger, and shot size #4 or smaller.

FWIW, I limit myself to shots of 25 yds or less, as my ML is cyl/imp cyl bore. More patience required than with a modern shotgun, but way more fun.

Good luck to you.

I really don't have a good answer for using a ml'er over your Winchester, as I have not used a modern gun on turkey. Yes, I have patterned the modern guns, but with them I am mostly a clay bird shooter. Anyhow, spend some time at patterning your muzzleloader and you will be surprised how affective they can be, once you find a load the gun likes. There is no question the guns are affective, even before chokes were used, as they were the shotguns of the period, way back when. You will be greatly rewarded by time spent working up a load and then hunting with it. If you are a hunter, you will find you are not handicapped at all.

Skychief, I somehow get the idea that you like turkey hunting!! :rotf: With a smoothbore! :rotf: :hatsoff:

Mike Brines said:
Skychief, I somehow get the idea that you like turkey hunting!! :rotf: With a smoothbore! :rotf: :hatsoff:

:redface: :redface: :redface:

Guilty as charged Mike! :wink:

Hope my post didn't make me sound too " :youcrazy: ".

Skychief :thumbsup:

Well, I shot 2 in November with my flinter - at 62 and 65 yds - no problem. Within about 1 or 2 minutes of each other. My load was 120 gr FFFg, a .15 pillow tick patch and .480 rb. No problems.

Turkeys_and_rifle2.jpg

I have hunted turkey with a muzzleloader for ten years now. The last three with a flintlock. This is as good as it gets. Better than getting a deer. Getting excited already, for our April turkey season now. Leon

Skylinewatcher said:
Thanks for the link. I looked that over and it was very impressive.
The gentleman who wrote that is a member here, George. He knows everything. :grin:

Good luck with the turkey hunting.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Back