• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breech Plug Wrench/Monkey wrench

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strask

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to build a gun from scratch and have been slowly gathering tools to do this. One thing I found at a local antique store is a "monkey wrench" it is about 18" long with smooth jaws and in decent shape. Kind of like a pipe wrench but no teeth on the jaws. They are asking $20 for it. Do you think it will work for installing and removing breech plugs? Thought the smooth jaws would be OK. Any thoughts and has anyone tried one? also is this a decent price?

Scott

I use an adjustable wrench and a cheater bar and it does Ok. I don't know if the monkey wrench will work or not, but I think it might. Anyway, the wrench is at a good price. These were used on early automobiles such as the Model T and Model A Fords. I'm curious to know if the monkey wrench would work. However, don't destroy the antique wrench.

I have always used a monkey wrench, works just fine. Probably paid a couple bucks for mine, but I've been building guns for almost 30 years.

It should work fine. They also differ from a pipe wrench in the fact that the movable jaw doesn't have the slop/play that a pipe wrench does that allows the pipe wrench to grip tighter the harder you push/pull on it.

Like the others have said, they work fine for installing flint style breech plugs. IMHO, $20 for a Stilson wrench is outrageous. I bought two, in good shape, at a flea market a coupla years ago for just a coupla bucks apiece.

While the jaws are smooth, I like to line the jaws with brass to prevent marring the tang, but it probably isn't necessary.

Thanks for the responses. I will look around some more as that wrench has been there for some time and I do not think it will go anywhere soon.

Scott

I would look for an inexpensive 12 inch adjustable wrench to remove the breech plug if it were me.
Not only can a good quality 12 inch wrench be bought for less but there is probably less chance of it breaking.

Latest posts

Back