• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackfingers

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Any Brown Bess shooters out here? I have 3, a really nice 1756 1st model that's been fired only twice with blanks only, two 3rd models which are as different as they can be. My favorite is the one I got from TOTW, slender stock, super-hard frizen and shoots very well with 80grs ffg, bore buttered patch. The other is very heavy, over-sized stock and a lock that needed a lot of professional attention, this one I antiqued and it looks great, haven't shot it yet.
I also have a beautiful Centermark Fusil in .62cal, factory 36in barrel, handles like a dream.
Just thought I'd share, back soon, Blackfingers

One other rifle, a new Traditions Kentucky rifle in flint, production gun, I know, but I have to say this, the lock is superior to any of my others as far as fast ignition goes, like a caplock! :yakyak:

sounding in with a 3rd model short land bess by pedersoli like 80 grians behind a .715 ball and pillow ticking patch crisco lube
had the long bess and a couple of other bess's of unsure make and style as they were bought used and yes all different buthe pedersoli shoots the best never had any trouble 50+balls in a one day shoot and no issues load fire load fire

Hey I got two third model Bess and a long land model now. I once owned a English Grice Replica from the 76 centinial and love the Bess. The Crowns best weapon produced. I shot them in computition and hunting a great weapon.

cudos on the Pedersoli but over rated I belive. Compared to the original Bess they are off on alot of the locks desigins and the way the lock is produced. A great shooter yes but historically accurate no. Matched there locks and barrels to originals and they are not correct. Just my opinion. thanks

woodsie said:
cudos on the Pedersoli but over rated I belive. Compared to the original Bess they are off on alot of the locks desigins and the way the lock is produced. A great shooter yes but historically accurate no. Matched there locks and barrels to originals and they are not correct. Just my opinion. thanks

I have the Ped. from Navy Arms, came in a kit which I built. I used to really enjoy shooting it. One of the funnest guns to shoot I ever held.
There is, or used to be, a traveling exhibit of BBs at NRA conventions. It contains many versions of the Rev. period Besses. The Ped. version is nearly identical to several of those. Not accurate, IMHO, to say it is incorrect.

Pedersoli here, but it gets maybe a dozen RBs a year just because I feel I oughta. I use mine almost exclusively with shot loads, and like it a lot for that.

Owned an original marked 1805 that I used to shoot all the time. Paid $125.00 for it in 1965. I was only 15 years old and it sat in lay-away for six months till I could finish paying for it. Should have never sold it. Wish I had it back. :(

I have an Indian made 3rd Model I picked up second hand. Wood to metal fit is quite good. Lock needs work as the trigger pull is so hard it's commical. Frizzen is very hard and throws showers of sparks. Too much wood on the stock, but I plan to slim it down. I shoot a .715 ball, .015 patch and 80 grains of 2F. Goes off every time. An original India Pattern bayonet fits perfectly. I'm looking forward to shooting it a lot more once I get the trigger pull lightened.

I have the TOTW 1742 Long Land Pattern kit that I am just starting to build. I've never built a lock from a set of castings before, so this will be an adventure. Luckily, I am friendly with a guy who assembles TRS BB kits for the re-enactor community and has a lot of experience building locks from castings. He has offered to help me.

I wanted to biuld that kit for some time but the casting lock parts i was unsure i get it right or safe i have taken locks apart and put them back together but putting hole in the right place
im sure one day i get it

I have the pedersoli and an original one that is not a shooter. Most of the parts are interchangable betwen them.The original has Tower engaved on the lock were the Pedersoli has Griece 1762.The original is .779 caliber and the Pedersoli .751. The original has a barrel 38 1/4 in and the Pedersoli 41 3/4 in long.I belive that not all originals are identical in every detail.

You are correct. The Pedersoli is supposed to be a Second model BB. A well-made, handsome and nice shooting musket but dimensions do not match original 2nd models. It's not beefy enough. It is closer to an officer's fusil in size. Purests also have coniptions about the "Grice 1762" on the lockplate--which is not historically correct.

Yes, that is how I recalled it but wasn't sure. I did some Googling and found a lot of answers. I now also understand why I can't tell the difference betweent he various models. There were many and the variations were relatively slight. It would take study and memorization to fully know what the differences were.
My Navy Arms/Pedersoli 2nd Model with Grice 1762 is a very faithful example that is representative of all of them, IMHO.
Also found this: http://www.11thpa.org/Bess.html
I may have that AR magazine in my stash. Hope so, will have to look for it later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an India Land Pattern, which looks awesome. I took it out shooting and couldn't get it to fire. It would flash in the pan, but wouldn't fire the main charge. I don't think I did a good enough job cleaning out the barrel before loading. Its a good thing I bought a ball puller!

Is the touch hole drilled.Dont laugh ive seen it happen. We have a guy that has a nickname. No touch hole. :grin:

Do you pick your vent just before firing? Anything pointed which will not erode the vent would work. It helps to know that the flash path is open when you feel the crunching of the powder on the pick. Also, having an opening seems to greatly facilitate the spark in igniting the main charge.

YMHS,
CrackStock

I am not sure why Pedersoli decided to put Grice 1762 on the lockplate. I once asked the Volunteer Coordinator/Park Ranger at Minute Man National Park in Concord, who is both a militia and red coat re-enactor himself, and he didn't know either.

satwel said:
I am not sure why Pedersoli decided to put Grice 1762 on the lockplate. I once asked the Volunteer Coordinator/Park Ranger at Minute Man National Park in Concord, who is both a militia and red coat re-enactor himself, and he didn't know either.

I'll offer a guess. It might have been an effort to prevent their BBs from being aged and passed off as originals. Many craftsmen do this, whether it be for guns, knives or whatever. Even the Colt reissue revolvers had deliberate, but subtle, differences for just that reason.

Latest posts

Back