• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Build a N.W. Blanket Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• IMG_20230220_115427.jpg
    IMG_20230220_115427.jpg
    4.5 MB
Weew Dawgy! Old Jed Clampett is a fine diplomat. Remember when Jethro complained about the plastic fruit? Granny was miffed! Jed tasted a grape and allowed as how they "were a might dry and gummy!" 😁

Rob the reason for the breech measurement is I got two stocks. Both are screw ups from my days of learning to inlet barrels with a router....lol
That width will work out great....thank you.
Cool bud . no problem :) its good to use other wise useless stocks , too short , piece of buttstock missing , etc. etc. and be able to make a blanket gun out of the stock . I hate to waste anything .

Scribe line alone your barrel channel sides to the breech , gouge out that wood to breech . Find and mark your center at breech , mark center on barrel , the measure barrel at breech , divide in half then that measurement on either side of center at breech center mark . You can roughly put breech of barrel back there and scribe lines on each side BUT , those are darn rough ...stay inside them ..Those breech width marks start chiseling straight down at breech , rear and sides . Gotta get that breech to slide down in there and centered . Stay inside those Side lines. Keep looking g down at breech , center line of barrel and center line on wood of breech . If its off one way or the other take wood off that side , usually dont take much , till its centered again . Keep doing this till the breech slides down in there . Once it does ....look straight down , with light , both sides .....mark pencil lines on both sides of barrel , mark barrel transition too .... any gaps mark them too to stay away from them later .... These marks are more accurate but still try to stay inside them a bit until barrel gets closer yet ....

Attachments

• IMG_20230825_192347.jpg
    IMG_20230825_192347.jpg
    3.5 MB
  • IMG_20230825_191503.jpg
    IMG_20230825_191503.jpg
    3 MB
  • IMG_20230825_191353.jpg
    IMG_20230825_191353.jpg
    3.1 MB
Now inlet black bottom of barrel all Oct. section and start tapping the barrel down , and back at muzzle .... Start inletting it down ....

Attachments

• IMG_20230827_122435.jpg
    IMG_20230827_122435.jpg
    3.9 MB
Barrel is .155 high at breech , that much more to go before bedded. I scribed pencil line on lock side , accurate line now , the Side plate side can't be touched , does that sometimes go figure , . Mark on wood as such to emind you later , always leaves notes for your self for later .....

Attachments

• IMG_20230827_133741.jpg
    IMG_20230827_133741.jpg
    4.1 MB
  • IMG_20230827_134520.jpg
    IMG_20230827_134520.jpg
    4.1 MB
Blacken whole length of barrel , ....start putting her down .... Breech is .116 high above wood ....gettin there ! Wasn't planning on even workin on this gun but sure would be cool to do the happy hillbilly dance when it bedded ....

Attachments

• IMG_20230827_140020.jpg
    IMG_20230827_140020.jpg
    3 MB
  • IMG_20230827_140008.jpg
    IMG_20230827_140008.jpg
    3.7 MB
Holy cats you got 4 on the go ,your staying busy for sure.look forward to your posts every day as do others .👍
LOL ! .... It sounds impressive but this blanket gun I just was starting because I was in a STUCK on the Carolina Gun and the Fusil .... I got the barrel bedded on this here blanket gun , which makes me feel better , but it gets wrapped in tape and shoved under the bench for some time , I finally got a nice walnut stock for my buddy in N.H. so I can finally start barrel bedding his long a waited Fusil BUT .... I gotta get back on ye ole Carolina Gun ... Had an issue with it , went back to rusting again on all the metal parts so had to disassemble it and treat all the iron .... Tomorrow I'll be reassembling the Carolina gun and shooting it and see how it shoots .... Any issues there , fix them then gotta get that sucker to Massachusetts ASAP .... plus just fixed suspension on truck so start bringing in wood , plus just poured a pad under the house to start stacking sand stone foundation on me corner of cabin , plus upstairs floor in gun shop , plus fix ridge caps , plus windows I had Amish make put into gun shop , plus !!!! LOL .!! WEEH DAWGY !! I love when folks ask me ....dont you get bored out there in the woods Rob ? Ain't nothing to do ! LMAO !! Still gotta insulate and cover wall upstairs too ! Let alone side the cabin !! :)

Rob the reason for the breech measurement is I got two stocks. Both are screw ups from my days of learning to inlet barrels with a router....lol
That width will work out great....thank you.
Just ran across this again bud . If ya ever have a stock with too much h wood gone in spots but you want to use it ...just holler at me . I'll tell ya a way of using the wood and filling the spaces ...youll never know after its all done . I hate wasting materials .

Rob once again I appreciate your advice as always. I also hate to throw away anything too ! Half the fun of this, is fixing up stuff no one else wants to try too...
Huh, I do that too ! I think its on growing up poor and just usin what ever was layin around , not exactly the best thing in he world but ...make do . PM me for more less vague descriptions ... Dont want all these " incredible " kit builders to know all my secrets !! LOL! :D

Latest posts

Back