• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

C.S. Richmond Rifled Musket?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked this up a few days ago for what I thought a reasonable price. I started down the path thinking 1855 Springfield replica but it has no Maynard system. I dug a bit further and I'm thinking it's a replica of the C.S. Richmond except it has a patch box. There is no maker stamped on the gun, maybe defarbed? It appears the front sight has been professional replaced with a higher blade. The bore looks really good. I haven't shot her yet but the fellow I bought it from claims it shoot a bit to the right.

What do you think? Do I have it identified correctly?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241016_174335_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20241016_174335_Gallery.jpg
    412.8 KB
I picked this up a few days ago for what I thought a reasonable price. I started down the path thinking 1855 Springfield replica but it has no Maynard system. I dug a bit further and I'm thinking it's a replica of the C.S. Richmond except it has a patch box. There is no maker stamped on the gun, maybe defarbed? It appears the front sight has been professional replaced with a higher blade. The bore looks really good. I haven't shot her yet but the fellow I bought it from claims it shoot a bit to the right.

What do you think? Do I have it identified correctly?

Thanks
Kind of an odd duck; will be interesting to see what the peanut gallery says...

Unless you find an original Richmond Razeed in this configuration, I think you can call it a dream gun, or whatever you want. Probably made for someone in the NSSA with the taller front site. Looks nicely done.

I’m not all that knowledgable, but with the 1860 barrel date isn’t it more likely to represent something cobbled together with various parts including the Richmond lock? I agree with @Conquerordie that you can let it be whatever you want. I think it’s cool and you should shoot that thing and enjoy it!

I can't say for sure but it looks like the patchbox is too short for a 55 rifle. A 55 rifle would have a 33" barrel of fairly heavy wall thickness and the entire US production came from Harpers Ferry. The 1860 date would be questionable for a CSA arm as Jackson didn't capture Harpers Ferry till the fall of 62 and only after then were the parts and machinery sent south. I suppose one could argue that it was a captured NOS barrel.

Back