• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Capper for 1858 Remington?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naphtali

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Please identify a capper that functions correctly capping a M1858 Remington's cylinder when it is assembled to the frame.

See if you can find a Tedd Cash straight line capper...that should work. Give Scot a call, tell him I sent you. Otherwise you will have to be content with putting the caps on with your fingers and seating them with a push from a small dowel. Emery

The Ted Cash capper seems the only way to go. Be sure to get the "Universal Straight Line Capper" which has two spring lips to hold the caps, and is slender enough to fit the nipple recess. Tried this version and it works most of the time, but I need to be very carefull when placing the cap on the nipple.

Some straight line cappers use one spring and carry forward the flat brass side... these are usually too wide to fit the Remington cylinder without serious modifications.

The Remington New Model Army solid frame revolver has been a favorite among target shooters and I'd be interested in how they cap these as they can only cap them on the firing line. Living in a colder climate, fumbling around for #11 caps in one's pocket is a poor solition.

And David searched his leather bag for a stone just the right size to fit his sling-shot as a great shadow fell over the land”¦”¦

8>))

Naphtali said:
Please identify a capper that functions correctly capping a M1858 Remington's cylinder when it is assembled to the frame.

ONLY put caps on a cylinder, with the cylinder installed into the Remmy, at the firing line! Dropping a fully loaded and capped cylinder onto a hard surface (while fumbling during a reload, for instance) could cause a problem :shake: . Some here do such things, it's entirely up to you, although it's NOT ALLOWED at ANY club range that I belong to.

Even when Clint did it in the movies, he was on a dirt street, not a rocky or (worse) cement-style walkway, like at a covered range.

Just my 2 cent's worth.

Have fun with your Remmy!

Dave

Naphtali said:

This is known as the TC Star or Star-7 capper. It works with the Pietta 1858 Remington. The cap is pressed on to the nipple and then the capper is pulled outward to "rip" and separate the cap out through the slot in the plastic cup holder.

P1050567a38.jpg

P1050568a38.jpg

This item is available at thegunsource.com as Product ID: 38386 - T/C 7015 star capper for $5.03.

And also at eabco.com as item (207-7015) - Thompson Center Star-7 Capper for #11 Caps for $5.99.

Cain's Outdoor has a similar flexible but much more flimsy looking capper that may also work that's called the Silent Hunting Capper by MSM INC, Item 03129 for $1.95.

03129.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back