• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Christmas Toy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kid Ray

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been lurking here for a while, and finally have my first black powder revolver. It's a Pietta 1851 navy. Have not shot it yet, but plan to tomorrow...

BTW, this is a great web site! I visit often and finally have something to post about.

---
Ray

Kid Ray,

Welcome to the wonderful world of cap and ball revolvers. I have the exact same model and enjoy shooting it though I'm still trying to figure out how to keep the caps from jamming. My .44 doesn't jam if I keep charges modest and use those cap keepers on the nipples. Oh well, trial and error is part of the fun with these guns. Have fun with your new toy.

Don

Welcome to the Forum! :)
Nothing like a neat toy for Christmas I always say.
I just wish I could be there with you when you load up the first time. Just watching the concentration on your face as you measure the powder, just so. Placing the ball on the cylinder mouth and rotating it under the loading lever ram and pulling it down, a little smile on your face when the ball seats.
After loading the chambers and greasing the chamber mouths, you place the caps on the nipples, again, with a look of some doubt.
Flimsy little things, these caps. Will they really work?

You raise the gun up and cock it, thinking "Boy, these are really wierd sights but what the heck.

Squeezing the trigger a BOOMing sound, unique to these Cap and Ball guns occurs while, on your face, an ear to ear grin quickly follows.
The cloud of smoke, the smell of sulpher and fireworks fills the air.
Again you cock the hammer and squeeze..BOOM, click,click,click..BOOM! Click,click,click..BOOM!

By the time the cylinder is empty you are hooked.
You may have hit the target but that doesn't really matter.
It's the feel, the sight, the smell! History is alive and the joys of making this old fashioned gun work will long be remembered.
This gun puts the fun back into shooting! :grin:
I know. I've been there.

Happy shooting to you! :)

Welcome to the Forum and also the "club".
I just finished a new holster yesterday for my new 51 Navy.They are fun to shoot and you might be surprised at how accurate they can be even with the "wierd" sights.

Thanks Guys!

Zonie, I think you were there watching me! heehee... Man, this thing is fun!

Don, I didn't have any trouble jamming but I did have a few misfires, I think the caps were not fully seated because they fired when tried again. What size caps are you using?

Paul, I was surprised how accurate it shot --- I even like the weird sights!

thanks all,
Ray

Ray welcome and have fun with that!
One of the guys on here gave me advice of slightly pinching the caps on my 1858 Rem. before putting them on the nipple. It really helped when I tried it next time around.

I think Zonie nailed it on the head for all of us.
Take Care

Back