• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

corn meal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....around 15gns 3F is all that is required, but I imagine it may be more spectular to stoke 'er up!
I generally avoid light loads. I had a ball bounce off the end of a log and come flying back in my direction. So I would recommend caution in employing light loads from C&B revolvers and possibly other types of MLs.

That's cool, but I was talking (writing?) about target shooting on a target range, and in Aus, a range will not be approved if it has things such as rocks, logs etc on the range; having said that a similar thing happened to me a few years ago, smacked me right in the chest, but I can't remember which of 2 ranges it occured; one of these ranges does have a rock or 2 here & there. :D
:imo:
Jim.

I personnely shoot about 18 gr. fffg with about 10 gr. of corn meal (grits suck) at 25 yds. I get my best groups in my 1858 REM. My 1858 Rem is an older one and I have the cylender bored to .453, beacuse the breach MIC'ed out to .453 they were between .449 and .450. this also helped.

just a thought! :peace: I'm new to this bord thing.

Right On, :imo
You said this was an old-time revolver shooter. We haven't always had "Wonder Wads" and now that we do have, many of us hillbillys still can't afford every newfangled gizmo that comes along. Wonderwads double my cost per shot, cornmeal is cheap and it works, just because it's an old idea don't mean you got a better one.
Revolvers do generally shoot best (group tightest) with reduced loads, also fire more shots before fouling up, and everyone shoots better with less recoil.
:m2c: Also used to be(may stiil be)that many replica revolver chambers were much under bore size and a ball once rammed down would just fall through the bore. For any hope of accuracy the chambers had to be reamed to .451" 0r .452" and this reaming was done only about 1/2" down the chamber so seating a ball too deep would defeat the ream job and ruin groups. For all of these reasons there is need of a filler in revolvers when accuracy is more important than smoke and fire. I agree that wonderwads are less messy but in the dozen or so revolvers I've owned and tested I've never seen better accuracy than with grease over the ball and corn meal under if needed. :results:

CoyoteJoe: You sound like a good old boy pistol shooter to me. I agree with what you have said I used to use corn meal and probably will again. But then wonderwads do move the ball to the front of the cylinder and that is what we are striving to do. So which ever way we do it the results we hope will be more XXXX's on the target.
Fox :thumbsup:

:RO: the way O'l Rooster from Roosters trading Post (Bothel WA.)explained it to me was the corn meal acts as a buffer so the gas dose not escape between the cylender and the barrel, before the ball has traveled fully into the barrel. This combimed with the proper sized cylender and breach will increase accuracy. :m2c: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Back