• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA "USA" Mtn Rifle - ser numbers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just adding info from Member Silverfox to this SN# thread;
"I've got one with serial number 00009517. It is a .45 Made in USA and it has yet to be loaded to many other toys to play with. My.50 MR I built from a kit in the 70's won lots of gear and then my Son took it and is still shooting it. It is his favorite rifle.

I got the rifle off one of the auction sights about 2 years ago. It was listed as a non working Hawken. The picture was poor but I noticed the 4 screw patchbox and wanting spare parts for my old MR I put in a bid as no one seemed to be interested in a non working Hawken. When it arrived it was as I had expected a MR. It was a untouched kit just put together no finish. It had the normal trigger plate to deep so the lock would not work and that was the only problem that kept it from working. It will not be used as a spare parts kit buy the time I finish with it.
Now it is a .45 Connecticut Valley Arms.Inc,blackpowder only and Made In USA and the serial 00095XX are the only marking on the barrel. The best I can measure is .450 inside the barrel and the crown widest part shows .458. The lock is marked Spain on the inside.
The only unusual thing on this rifle is the heel of the butt plate. It is not the normal rounded over like all the others I have looked at it looks like it was made this way. Now the heel has a flat tip about .550 wide this is something I have not seen before so it makes this a unique one of a kind so far. Normal CVA hardwood stock.
That just about covers it."

Thanks for sharing,,

2FFg53 said:
If anyone is still monitoring serial #'s My Mountain rifle made in usa barrel has 0071882, picked up at a pawn shop for 75 bucks, needed an overall bath and now it shoots good though still a little homely.

No kidding, you too? That's pretty amazing.

I received my .50 cal CVA Mountain Rifle from my father when he passed away. I am not sure of the year but the S/N is 0064186
It has the 4 screw patch box and is marked
MADE IN U.S.A.
I believe that he purchased it finished, or at least someone else completed it. His forte was jewelry...
I don't believe that it has ever been fired, but it will be shortly.
paul

Wow, does everyone have one of these?
I purchased my kit in 1977. Ser# 19839
Made in USA barrel. Pewter nose cap, hex
thimbles, 4-screw patch box.
I have the instruction sheet, copyright 1976
and also a small thick booklet "Start Muzzleloading, An Intoduction to the Black Powder
Sport by Ian Phillips.
They show kits with the following labels
KA715--.45 percussion
K716--.50 cal percussion
Haven't shot it for quite awhile, but planning
on using it this fall, along with a Cabelas Hawken Hunter Carbine, Twist 1:24

I have read that the early stocks were Birdseye
Maple.

The Made-in-USA guns had Maple stocks ranging from quite plain to varying degrees of curl and birdseye. Luck of the draw I guess. Same with the Birch stocks used on the spanish models, some are ungodly plain with no character (like mine) and some have very dramatic grain pattern with lots of swirl and birdseye.

I have no idea when my CVA built 50cal. Mountain gun was made. The barrel is marked Made in USA and ser. no. 0008088.

you aree right..I started thinking about a M-L n 1976, so I must have bought mykit after that date.Hank

I have a CVA mtn rifle I purchased new in 1976 for $88.88. The serial # is 0037938. Still have owners manuel and that year catalog, small booklet hang tag. Has made in USA barrel and four screw patch box. I have changed the sights a couple times, and added inlaids and some tacks to stock. This was my main Whitetail gun for a good many years. Still shoots great with a patched .490 RB, with 80 grain of black. Reading these posts about these rifles has a trip back in time for me. Thanks

Mine is ser #0020868 50 cal any idea how or when it was mfg?
Have you read this 13 year old topic?
If so, then you'd know we'd need more information about the configuration of your rifle for even a basic evaluation.

This topic, here at TMF is the most comprehensive and complete compilation of CVA MR info available on the internet
A little bit of research in the early pages of the various stages of MR construction can/will help us help you,,.
Beyond that,, the basic answer you'll find is;
"Ooh! You have an early one!, That's special!"

I just picked up a barrel USA 1-66 CVA mountain 50 but no serial number unless its on the bottom, shoot with it yesterday. shoot well. The other both are 50's 00181358 and it was a kit gun. The guy said sometime in the late 70's who I got it from its shoots good as well. And doing a little reading I've found a ton. Here @ TMF

Last edited:
I don't know if you would call them collectable, but in my personal opinion they were by far the best rifle that CVA ever had made.

I picked up a CVA 58cal Mountain rifle it doesn't say made in USA or Spain just says
Connecticut Valley Arms .58cal ser.# 00022xx
Have no idea how old some say its a deer creek build. All I know is it shoots like a house of fire!

Thanks for your reply, yes I have read then and fairly sure I have a first edition CVA mountain rifle. With that said I am wondering why the trigger adjustment screw is metric With that said what should it be?

Thanks for your reply, yes I have read then and fairly sure I have a first edition CVA mountain rifle. With that said I am wondering why the trigger adjustment screw is metric With that said what should it be?
That would not be surprising, as they were made in Spain.

Latest posts

Back