• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Describe what kind of a ML Shooter you are

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hunting...that's what it's all about for me. If I go shoot it's for hunting purposes. I like flintlocks mainly because it's more to worry with than just aiming and pulling trigger and I like having plenty to fool with when it comes to hunting.

I mostly shoot them just to have fun, and I do sometimes just got out and plink with them. Also belong to a free trappers group and shoot the matches twice a month. But I use them the most to add to the challenge of predator and varmint hunting.

Target Shooter/Plinker - It just plain FUN! Great stress release also. I also hunt. Started hunting way before M/Ling .. use my Hawkins because ... well I guess I like to play Daniel Boone ... yeah I know ..he didn't use a Hawkins.

Me shoots front stuffers because the womens loves me and the bears fear me and I'm home on the range where the deer and the antilope play. And I like the smell of black powder with my first cup of coffee in the morning.
Bob

I shoot to stay in practice so that I can hit very small targets very far away, because someday I may have to make my presence known, to man or beast.

And when I pray for the Lord to make me fast and accurate I want him to know I have done my part.

:hatsoff:

Building, hunting, re-enacting, bayonetting and competing all interest me.

I particualy like crosssticks for competition and hunting rabbits. I frequently hunt alone as I enjoy the solitude. I lose the world best this way and really enjoy the experience.

My favorite shooting is a woods walk with silhouette targets along a wooded trail, but I have shot more friendly paper matches with my NMLRA affiliated clubs than all the rest of my ML shooting combined. We generally are a group pf friends who try to work on improving our shooting skills rather than focus upon who is best. The best will be seen as what they are, but that is not really the point. This is the situation that I seek out and enjoy most when target shooting.

CS

I'm the type of ML shooter who mainly enjoys trying to hit stuff with a "primitive" weapon. I also enjoy the historical aspect of the whole art.

ANY type of shooting is a big time stress reliever, but muzzle-loading, due to it's lenghty process of loading per shot (compared to modern guns) is a meditative art for me. All that work, all the time, for that ONE shot. Almost makes you one with that rifle. Deffinitely makes you want to see your shots count. But still..... Sometimes, I'll just load a ball and shoot at the hill down range, not caring if I hit a darn thing.

Well its a bit of a story but I guess this is as good a place as any. In the lead up to the Queens 50th anniversery 4 years ago I think?? My mate said would you like to learn how to become part of the cannon crew for a 21 gun salute, we need 6 teams. I bought a 3 foot cannon(soon to be upgraded to 4) a Bess so that I could join in with the 1781 re enactors gang because the salute was to be done in uniform. Not wishing to just shoot blanks I came along with the same guys on a Sunday to the range and learnt how to shoot my Bess live. Then I bought an Enfield then a few more guns including a repro and an original patch ball rifle. Then later an original match Whitworth. Meanwhile the serious match target shooters said come and learn how to use these guns. Then I got so hooked that my aim(no pun) was to learn to shoot as well as I did when I was 16. Then last year I did part of the UK target scene matches and did well and now I'm obsessed with training to do my best in everthing from 50 yds flint musket to 1000yds Rigby/whitworth match. I'm having a problem fitting work in. The word obsessed has been used by my SPO (shooting permissions Officer)

Builder/plinker I enjoy the chalange of building
and shooting the frount feeders.

Used to be builder/plinker/hunter but the body can't take the strain anymore.

None of the above.

I like to hunt with a m/l, even during regular seasons, because it adds something fun and challenging to the hunt. I like to target shoot and plink, but mostly as a method of improving my hunting chances and for the socializing and not as a goal in itself.

Sometimes I just take my gun (rifle or smoothbore) for a walk in the woods and that's a good day, too.

None of the above. I shoot to kill pasture griz (groundhogs). I have hated the varmints every since my 6th summer, when one chased a cousin and I out of the blackberry brambles. We didn't get to use the tunnel gettin' out neither. :cursing:

My emphasis for ML has been primarily hunting. Enjoy shooting in general and enjoy the individual historical facts behind each gun that I use. Recently, as most know I've been interested in the Underhammer. It is one of those weapons that has little information about it. This forum has several underhammer owners who have provided much needed information.

This forum even convinced me to purchase a smooth bore barrel. Something I never thought I'd do. :shocked2: Just never thought I'd have a use for one.

I'm the kind of ML shooter that is a believer in supporting Pro 2nd Amendment organizations such as the NRA (Life Member) and NMLRA. I'm also a supporter of hunting organizations such as Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever.

I may not agree with all the individual pro-gun, pro-hunting organizations out there. I won't discourage participation in them provided they don't turn against other types of shooting sports. IMHOP, we need to support pro-gun and pro-hunting organizations as they keep our shooting and hunting heritage alive. I'd rather have someone belong to a pro-gun, pro-hunting organization I don't belong to than have that individual give up on firearms and hunting altogether. :thumbsup:

I'm a target-shooter/plinker/hunter who just likes to go out and make smoke. It's fun. Also, I have two loves. Growing up during WWII, I fell in love with the Spitfire, the P51 and the B17. I've wanted to fly all three all my life. I have a license, but never managed to fly one of my dream planes. You think buying a custom-made long rifle that will last a lifetime is expensive, try paying for an hour's flight in a B17. However, I read the Leatherstocking tales and Kenneth Roberts' books about colonial New England as a child, and don't feel that I "settled" for flintlocks instead of P51s. graybeard

:grin: Until about age fifty-ish, a couple of years ago :winking:, I was a Serious Target Shooter, one who was interested in just the competitive aspect of Competition. This was to push myself to my personal best ability. I would, and could, honestly, find the reason I missed and failed in competition. I could and would call the hit on targets as my gun fired as to clock location to center as well as approximate inches out. I never made excuses. Problems with the firearms are preventable and were MY fault.
:hmm:Now, due to my eyesight faultering and lack of practice time required to make oneself consistantly a high marksman, I probably am the Target Shooter/Plinker who is just having fun, and want most of the PATCHED Round Ball to Go into the Black X area.
:vI enjoy hunting with both the rifle and smoothbore. And, I am an avid reenactor, belonging to an organization, of 50+ members, that pushes experimental archiology to an every event happening. We have periodical live fire qualifications for tactical positions. We shoot timed targets, moving targets in all directions as well as silhouette of animals, soldiers and savages. Our range distances are out to 250+ yards; in the open as well as in the woods. We have events called Ranger Quests. These are multi-skill interactive competitions. Most teams are of three or more participants and more than five teams. Participants register and teams are drawn. This lets competitors interact with new partners.:hatsoff:

I'm just hoping the thing goes off....

Plinker/Plunker... neat, educational, historical, somewhat useful hobby that's a lot of fun and camraderie!

I am just a gun nut that loves to shoot all kinds of weapons. For some odd reason I have a gene that attracts me to blackpowder. I did buy my first m/l for deer hunting only but I enjoy shooting the rifles more than hunting. I like my modern and traditional rifles so I am non-typical compare to the other shooters out here.

I am striving to get the best performance out of the guns I own and also trying hard to shoot flint guns. I must admit that right now I would not take a flintlock into the woods hunting but with more work I am sure to pass this hurdle.

Why at the age of almost 44 shooting guns that need 700% more work is important to me?

Challenge. :grin:

Well...lessee...I am by no means a serious competition type target shooter. Target shooting is important if one wants to become a good shot. I belong to a club that has a primitive range...very primitive. That suits me just fine as I hate manicured lawns and concrete shooting positions..and all that that stuff entails. I love hunting even though for the past twenty years haven't done any. Personal reasons prevented me from doing any. I also love being away from what could be considered civilization. One other important thing..traditional muzzleloaders...there is definetely an art form in thier shape. The glow of the stock...not some polyvarnished glare seen on modern arms. Or worse yet...some synthetic piece of manure for a stock and some damm stainless barrel. Funny thing..for over 200 years there were no such things...yet, no one had a problem using traditional materials. The regimen of loading and shooting...not just pulling a trigger or opening a bolt. And last but not least...the comraderie of my fellow enthusiasts.

Back