• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Describe what kind of a ML Shooter you are

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a shooter of many guns. On the ML side I shoot to plink to pratice target, I compete once or twice a year in a not so serious way and I am slowly becoming infected with the more hardcore...If I live long enough, I could see reenactments in my future. For now I use percussion cap rifles, I'm aching to get into pitols. And I hunt Whitetail deer in the ML season with a 50 cal

53 yr old NEWBe started shooting blackpowder rb 6 months ago, both a Target Shooter/Plinker who is just having fun, and want most of the Round Ball to Go into the Black and a Plunker who use shooting muzzleloader as a escape from the day to day job stress, life stress, etc. Want to get out and make black Smoke, as it is cheaper than $125.00/hr for a SHRINK. :thumbsup:

I'd love to hunt, but in Germany, ML'S are a no-no for everything except paper.

I'd love to plink, but in Germany, firing on non-paper targets is a no-no.

I'd love to have a huge backyard range and be able
to tell the authorities I can do as I please on my own land but, in Germany, shooting outside of a gunclub, at anything, with a ML is... yep.. a no-no.

I therefore shoot paper targets at my local gunclub and thoroughly enjoy it! :grin:

My shooting is a lot like Slake's. Shoot modern guns on occasion but enjoy the BP the most. Hunt squirrels and deer though I wouldn't want any ones survival hanging on my hunting skills. Shoot one or two primitive biathlons a year but don't give a hoot if I win, just try to shoot the best I can. Been very involved in cap and ball revolvers and pistols in general lately. I suck at hitting anything past 15 yards so I take it as a personal challenge to improve my pistol shooting. Been to two rendezvous as a day particapent but a little leery of the period correctness police that seem to gravitate to these events. All my muzzle loaders are percussion basically because no one nearby carries the real black powder so I use pyrodex and 777. Thought I'd like the challenge of a flinter until I tried real BP in one of my percussion guns and got my ram rod stuck in the barrel because of the fouling. I think I'll stick with the subs and percussion guns thank you. No offense to you flint shooters out there I just don't have the patience for it. I also have a weird facination with BP derringers. I have about six and love the challenge of trying to get them to work first off then trying to load them so they can be effective. Some day soon I'll do some experaments and write an artical about it. Overall, I love the romance and history behind BP guns and it all feeds into my disgust with our modern technology obsessed society(he says as he types on a computer).

Happy shooting

Don

All my BP shooting is on my land, mostly various types of target shooting on an 80 yd range. I've also shot varmint with my flintlock (coons mainly), though not yet used it for deer hunting.

I only began shooting BP less than 18 months ago, and have maybe put 700 rounds through my flintlock.

I'm really into building and the history now - since beginning to build my York last year it's become a bit of an obsession, and I've got a small library of all the main books. Spent a lot of money! I'm mainly interested in colonial period American rifles, mid-late 18th c, especially those showing English influence, but recently have become interested in fowlers and trade guns too - so plenty to keep me occupied in the evenings for a long time to come!

What kind of ML shooter am I?

I am an Alaskan trapped in the SUburban Midewst with a taste for Stainless Steel, Flint Guns, C&B Pistols & Lever Rifles who has Zero tolerance for stuffy "my (PC) hobby is best" isolationists. (Hang together or Hang seperately...)

I shoot Target for fun, and hunt Gun & ML seasons with a ML... and I play with substitutes.

I make my own powder and caps and cast my own balls - just to keep in practice.

I shoot conicals and minnies - and like the LEE R.E.A.L. bullets.

I have a sling on my Stainless Steel Flintlock.

My Patch tape is impregnated with teflon and my flasks are non-static plastic.

And I will probably be at Friendship for the spring shoot anyway. :grin:

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

This is a great topic.... it's cool to see such variety of shooters here.

I love to get out to the range to clear my head. Fairly new to both F/L and percussion, and I definitly favor the F/L. I am a serious tin can and metal gong hunter at our range (aka plinker). I've never seen anyone else at our club's range with a flinter, so have enjoyed showing others how to load and shoot the flinter... including a number of kids that had never even seen a flintlock before. I have two boys that love to shoot, and my 13 year old can often out shoot me, but that's okay... cause I'm just in it for fun, relaxation and escape.

well pyrodex smells like a rotten fart in an elevator but hey yes it is fun.
I have only recently begun BP shooting and enjoy it except the cleaning.
I mostly shoot pistol (modern) and have .44 mag, .357 mag, 9mm etc etc I also own a couple of inline rifles, a voer and a marlin lever action and a shotty or two. I should BP on private land not so much at the range where I am the secretary/club captain. Its a small club but we manage to have fun.
What sort of shooter am I, well I suppose you could say I am an easy going one, if I have a good day and get a good score great, if not then hey it when bang and I had fun. I enjoy getting new people to shoot, the look on there face when they squeeze off a 44 is priceless also when they use the BP for the first time, I call my Enfield the smile maker because I defy any one to use it and not have a grin ear to ear.

How about the hunting type that tries to shoot on a weekly basis to learn every possibility of his weapon so he can make the cleanest kill; " And impress everyone how well these old style weapons can actually shoot ".

Latest posts

Back