• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you display your flintlock or other guns in your home

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything I own that does not have an SRN gets an OAN (owner applied number). Like Sheriff John, working burglaries for 29 years on the PD taught me that lesson. I remember once, I got a call from an agency in Florida, they recovered a revolver stolen in one of our burglaries in 1980 and we were able to return it to the owner.

In my cave I’ve got several thousands of dollars worth of guitars hanging on the wall. If I ever sell some and make room, I will hang some flintlocks. I only leave them out when I am developing loads shooting in cool weather.

Mine sat in the back of a closet, which is one of first places burglars look. So I hung them on the wall where I can see them. :) If they are stolen :mad: I doubt they will be used to commit crimes. :) Been a long time since a flintlock was used to rob a connivence store.

No use telling that to the authorities here in UK. I have two identical and genuinely antique BP rifles of the same .577cal. I just shoot one of them. The one that I don't shoot is hanging on the wall in my office - however, it cannot be seen by anybody looking through the window.

The one that I do shoot has to be locked away in a gun safe, same as my more modern Section 1 firearms with which it is registered on my Firearms Certificate [FAC].

Makes perfect sense, right? Well, it probably does to the guy who wrote 'Catch 22'.

As of recently, I do. As I sit in my living room right now, I can see four. I'm 75 and started wondering why I don't enjoy them every day I have left. Should have done it years ago. I know chance of theft is enhanced many times over by leaving them out of the safe. In my case, I have no one interested in guns to leave them to. I do take precautions though. Secure them if I leave overnight and close the curtains after dark, plus I placed them high and out of reach. A bit risky still. When my eyes rest on any particular one, it "talks" to me, reminding me of previous adventures in the wildwood or at the range. How about you?
I’m fixing to do the same thing with the same approach. They bring beauty to my eye and lifestyle, so I’m freeing them from a locked jail to be displayed above the fireplace. I’ll put them back in the safe when I’m away. Same plan as you.

:)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1712677755073.jpg
    FB_IMG_1712677755073.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0
I’m fixing to do the same thing with the same approach. They bring beauty to my eye and lifestyle, so I’m freeing them from a locked jail to be displayed above the fireplace. I’ll put them back in the safe when I’m away. Same plan as you.

I built my home with my two hands a couple of years ago, before getting some BP rifles. This thread got me a thinking maybe I should display a few BO rifles.They are not worth much but look old and I think they might look ok on the wall somewhere in the living area. I'll have to run the idea by the boss first though. I have a full size Aoudad mount above our fireplace/wood burning stove area that I might could use. I have since put a Nilgai mount to the left high above the doorway I could hang one, though not taken with a ML.
IMG_4309.jpeg

IMG_3274.jpeg

Beautiful display, Robin. I have all of my guns in the safe except for a self defense shotgun and handgun in the bedroom and a southern mtn. rifle my dad built that is too long to fit in the safe.

I love my ML guns, but I also like to see them ... all of them ... every day. Mine have never lived in a dark hole [safe] and will not. I am 92 YO and don't plan to worry about guns or any material things. I do keep one loaded gun near my bedside to protect my wife and myself. Just my 1/2 cents worth. Polecat 🦨

Back