• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

double ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was reading double ball thread awhile back. When it' done do ya use patch on both? And does this not increase the risk of a barrel failure like with an obstruction? Only ever did it in a high power bb gun to make a shot gun outta it and that worked!

I have been meaning to get around to this but have not had time. I would definitely use patches on both. Or at the very least I would patch the top ball so it doesn't roll forward.

Some other things I thought of trying would be to start the second ball immediately after the first ball and ram them down as a unit. I'm thinking of preventing a volume of compressed air developing between the balls.

Anothe thought I had was to put a wad of tallow between the balls. This might prevent the balls from deforming each other.

I have, on a couple of occasions, accidently double charged my rifle. That is, I have loaded it, been talking to someone enough to be distracted and forget that I have already loaded my rifle. I have then placed a second charge of powder in the rifle followed by a second patched ball. No harm was done since only the first powder charge is ignited and the second is blown out of the muzzle. But, the recoil is increased noticeably because of the increased mass being discharged from the rifle. On the couple of occasions when this has happened, no damage was done to my rifle. I would not expect it to be because this load is less than the load used to proof the barrel.

If you decide to put two patched balls in your rifle, both should be patched and I like the idea that black Jacque suggested of putting something between the balls to prevent deformation. You could use something like he suggested or you could use a felt wad or even some wasp nest wadding, corn meal, Cream of Wheat, grits, etc. I would start with a reduced load and slowly work up. If the hammer starts to blow back to half cock, you will know that you are over pressuring the breach. Stop, back off on the charge or don't shoot a double ball.

azmntman said:
Was reading double ball thread awhile back. When it' done do ya use patch on both? And does this not increase the risk of a barrel failure like with an obstruction? Only ever did it in a high power bb gun to make a shot gun outta it and that worked!

Why does a person need two (2) balls in the same barrel at the same time?

Seems if you need two (2) balls for hunting, just buy a larger caliber rifle, seems simple.

I guess it is/was fairly common and doesn't create the obstruction that many think.
I'm sure roundball/Bill-NC will be alone sometime to add to this. He has harvested deer with the infamous "double ball"

I like the idea of a bit of buffer between the balls. I proofed a CVA .50 caliber Saint Louis Hawken a few days ago. I used 100 gr of 3f and 3 patched balls. Fired it with a string . No damage that I could tell.(Flint) It held together for the following loads of 90 grs of 3f and 1 ball. Larry

Not an obstruction if you stack them on top of powder as usual, however...

This is usually called "proof testing" and I was thinking of not shooting regularly like that.

:youcrazy:

azmntman said:
When it' done do ya use patch on both?
1) Use snug fitting PRBs;
2) Patch them both separately;
3) Short start the first one;
4) Short start the second one on top of the first;
5) Seat them down together as a single unit;
My .40/.45/.50cals shoot single oval shaped holes at 25yds, and figure 8's at 50 yards.

I am going against the tide on this one. An old rule of thumb is "if in doubt, don't do it". Another one: "if it isn't necessary - don't do it". How 'bout "curiosity killed the cat"? Is this something that you really need to do or are you just playing around?

I am about to throw away a nice little Dixie Mtn rifle in .50 calibre because I read on here that it is safe to discharge a rifle that is double loaded. Now the barrel is rung. It has a noticeable widening of the barrel about 3 inches forward of the breach.

That doesn't mean that you won't get away with it but does that make it a smart thing to do? Not in my books.

I suspect that's why T/C finally dropped references to double ball loads from their owner's manual load data charts years ago...to much opportunity for people to do it wrong and end up with a problem like that. Reality is, it's perfectly fine if done correctly of course.

First, a little common sense goes a long ways on these type things...I see no need to double ball a .50 caliber or larger when we are talking whitetails...

Second, most double round ball loadings will weigh less than maxi ball loads...So make sure your barrel is of sufficient wall thickness...

My .40 use to be a .45...It's a 13/16 barrel...I've shot it with up to 90grs FFF and a .440 ball...When I double ball it with .390 balls I double charge it, so I'm using 60grs FFF...It kicks a heck of a lot less with 60grs and 2-.390 balls then it did with 90grs and one .440 ball...

With 2 .390 balls and 60grs of powder it simply makes it a better choice for whitetails than a single .390 ball...

One thing I do differently than some is load the balls one at a time, both are patched...

Roundball has it right. This was not an unusual procedure in days gone by. Back then it was called "loaded for Bear." It makes sense if you have a slow twist barrel that won't spin stabilize an elongated conical bullet to load two round balls. Twice the energy and two wounds. Loading both at the same time reduces the possibility of one not being seated on top of the other. Two patched .490 round balls loaded over 75 grains of FFg in my T/C Pennsylvania hunter hit within an inch of each other at 50 yards, and 3 inches at 100 yards. Serious medicine for big game including Black bear and large wild hogs.

I also load one patched ball at a time. When I proofed the CVA I checked each ball after waiting a bit and neither the second or third ball moved. Not saying it can't happen. But doesn't hurt to check. Larry

From one of T/C's early manuals:

d0283f44-f0ae-4e2d-8e80-bcf3a0976e98_zpsf8da785d.jpg

It can't be twice the energy and twice the wounds. You are doubling the mass of the projectiles but using a constant powder load. Buck and ball at Cemetery Ridge was one thing but for hunting is another. A larger round will concentrate the energy better than two or three balls. Double ball sounds potent but may, in actuality, be less so.

I have never done it and don't think I will. As red feather said it wouldn't be twice the energy,but it would diliver the energy in two wounds. Multi wound would be the princple behind buck shot. An ounce of buck has the same energy as a 1 ounce ball, but the buck can make a nasty set of woundsm
People who have killed game with it can be good guids for its use. I would enjoy reading their experinces. For myself however, as long as one ball turns deer in to stew Ispect I'll stick wiyh one ball.

I don't think I'll be doing it either. I would assume that the recoil would be stiff!

Geo. T.

Had a big dumb friend that tried his TC 50 cal. flintlock with two patched roundballs because he is a bad shot. ( Flinch ). Came up with a great idea. If two balls are good why not four. This was in flintlock season in Pennsylvania. Broken stock and black and blue shoulder clean to his chest. He used 120 grains of powder. Then he bought a new weapon.
forgot to add he didn't hit the deer either.

Back