• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ever feel like throwing your rifle in the drink?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind'a jag ya use'n on yore Zouave, a "pointy" one, or, one with a "flat face"??

YMHS
rollingb

/quote] I hope you aren't serious about this! Many of us on the Forum reply in some sort of bogus "old time" dialect merely for the fun of it. Such replies generally have nothing to do with the author's intellectual capacity or knowledge of the English language, but are made in such manner simply to lighten the tone of their reply. Pardon my departure from the original topic. Let us return to it, dag nabbit! :::thumbsup: [/quote]
Great Horneytoads!! Ye tooks that rite out o' ma mouth!
Ah'm har ta tell ye, ye gots ta be karful what ye take outter thar! Ain't no tellin what ye might fine!! :crackup: :crackup:

Ah'm har ta tell ye, ye gots ta be karful what ye take outter thar! Ain't no tellin what ye might fine!!
That's why ah alwees wears rubber gloves! ::
When there's a "chamber" at the breech end that's smaller-than-bore diameter, isn't that called a "patent" breech or some such? I remember reading a thread on this subject before, but I don't remember exactly what it said. We smoothbore shooters have got it shamefully easy (or we ARE shamefully easy, I don't know which :: :shocking:), I tells ya!

The Lyman GPR also has this reduced area below the bore. The ramrod stops about 1" before it is even with the nipple. However, a 1/4 dowel will go down another inch before it stops even with the nipple.

Has anyone removed the breech plug from a GPR?

let me know what drink ya do this at....i need a new rifle....seriously try not using oil for swabbing like them guys said and try a smaller patch yup that might work too....it's just a big ol learning curve we m/l er's gots here thats all....just keep at it and fig out what works....thats the best part of it and i'm sure the others guys will agree......................bob

Plinker-
I have not removed the breech on my GPR (or any other, for that matter). The instructions that came with my GPR said that it has a "coned breech" which the regular cleaning jag won't fit into. It recommends a .30 brush be used to clean this area. Actually, I have a .25 bronze brush that I leave on a aluminum rod just for this purpose. Putting a small patch on it and it seems to work well. :)

Latest posts

Back