• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FedEx refused shipment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
Just returned from the local FedEx store and they refused to ship a flintlock LR even after the clerk called the main office. Any other options? Less detailed description? Other shippers? Any info would be greatly appreciated.....Fred

Take it back after removing the lock side plate and any thing else that can be removed and call it assorted parts. But there should be no reason for them to not ship it as is. Or just use the us post service and just declare tha value. under batfe it is class as a non gun anyway.

I have enjoyed remarkably good service using the USPS. If you ship via Priority delivery confirmed most items will be deliverd in 3 days or less to any US address Hawai and Alaska may take 4 days and places like Guam 5 days.
I have a small buisness and I have shipped more than 5,000 items in the last 3 years. The USPS has not lost or damaged a single item.
Previously I used UPS and Fedex and got fed up with problems so I now ship strictly USPS.

I've had two shipped to me recently by the Gun Works in Oregon. They used plain old USPS. Cost me about $30 each, and they got here in 5 days, and we're kinda near the end of the shipping pipeline. It usually takes 3 days for UPS or Fedex, so I call that darned good service.

Pretty much what everybody said.. While none are perfect, you'll not be so much at the whim some idiot calling the shots with the USPS. I stay away from the bigger branches. Use the smallest you have access to. When asked, I tell them it's a re-prouction antique. So for that is all I've had to say.. :thumbsup:

I have received several by UPS and USPS. No problems. But USPS seems to be faster and more reliable.

Thanks for the replies. Phoned the local USPS and as of now thay won't ship a "flintlock muzzleloading rifle". They'll call the main office on Monday to find out if the 1968 Gun Regulations classify a MLer as a firearm. Evidently there's the possibility that I'll have to use "another description". Evidently these local offices aren't given the proper interpretations of the 1968 Firearm Regulations....Fred

flehto said:
Thanks for the replies. Phoned the local USPS and as of now thay won't ship a "flintlock muzzleloading rifle". They'll call the main office on Monday to find out if the 1968 Gun Regulations classify a MLer as a firearm. Evidently there's the possibility that I'll have to use "another description". Evidently these local offices aren't given the proper interpretations of the 1968 Firearm Regulations....Fred

I ship all of my mls through the USPS. They ask if if liquid, fragile, or perishable and thats about it.... Although by now they all know me and what I do for a living...

:rotf: Read my lips!!! "Re-production Antique". Sad to say, honesty ain't always the best policy this day and age :shake: . At least you have some one that will look it up and not make their OWN decision :youcrazy: . You might also add that it's circa 1700's. :thumbsup:
Best of luck, keep us posted on the results.
sniper

If you want to get really creative with your "another description" remove the nipple or vent liner and drop it in box. Then you have a "non-functional, replica reproduction antique." :thumbsup:

I have always shipped all of mine by UPS and all of them have been shipped as Replicated Antiques. Never had a problem. :thumbsup:

sniper68 said:
:rotf: Read my lips!!! "Re-production Antique". Sad to say, honesty ain't always the best policy this day and age :shake: . At least you have some one that will look it up and not make their OWN decision :youcrazy: . You might also add that it's circa 1700's. :thumbsup:
Best of luck, keep us posted on the results.
sniper

I've had problems with one USPS office refusing to ship real antiques. :cursing:

For God's Sake, Don't tell them you are shipping a gun, rifle, pistol, or any other word that refers to a firearm! You are shipping " machine parts".The only time we here of someone running afoul of idiot clerks at any shipping office is when they make the mistake of declaring the item a " gun ", or " Firearm." Then, all Heck breaks loose.

Take the lock out and pack that separately in the box. If its wrapped up enough in paper, and bubble wrap, they are not likely to open it anyway. Don't Ship flints already mounted in the jaws of the cock.

The idiots they don't train think a flintlock is the same as a Machine gun, so don't go there. They would not know the difference between a flintlock and a bolt action rifle, anyway.

I try to be honest and forthright but evidently that doesn't get my LR shipped. All my previous LRs were sold locally,sometimes the buyers stopped in or were sold through TOW..... this very aggravating situation is mind boggling and is the result of inadequate training of personnel and lack of information sent to many branches....Fred

I am fortunate that there is the wife of a ML shooter working at one of the small town USPS offices nearby, no problems shipping MLs there I did ship a colt revoler once with the discription of a "pellet distribution cylinder with dispensing tube and wooden handles" when the local office had a bozo who was not favorable to guns of any type

I agree with Paul, never use the words gun, rifle or firearm when shipping a ML. The only time I had trouble was with UPS and I now use USPS and just answer their questions(perishable, etc.)and it is machined metal parts I'm shipping.
Idaho PRB

I just shipped a box of "parts" today via UPS without incident. The local UPS refused a bottle of whisky I was sending as a gift, but they accepted a "special decanter."

Good advice on using the Post Office for shipping.

I have had Fedex leave a signature required envelope from an attorney on my doorstep. Check was from my dad's estate and we were not expecting it. We had never had a Fedex delivery so they did NOT have a signature required waiver from previous deliveries.

Author/Colt SAA expert, John Kopec, who authenticates valuable antique Colt Single Action Army Cavalry models has always said to send them via USPS registered mail.

I have more confidence in the post office and have had fewer problems with them than other choices.

Geraldo said:
I just shipped a box of "parts" today via UPS without incident. The local UPS refused a bottle of whisky I was sending as a gift, but they accepted a "special decanter."
A real manure shoot. :(
This subject makes for some interesting, experience sharing and amusing posts, but when you think about it, it's really sad.... :bull: :shake:

Back