• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FedEx refused shipment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geraldo said:
I just shipped a box of "parts" today via UPS without incident. The local UPS refused a bottle of whisky I was sending as a gift, but they accepted a "special decanter."

Look Ma, I bought this special decanter for $20 an' it came with Free Whiskey
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Yes, there's some restriction about shipping liquor thru the mail. If people reuse liquor packaging to mail items in we have to send it back to the sender to be either wrapped or repackaged!

Whew! Just shipped a LR through USPS and it wasn't a very pleasant experience and of which I'll be contacting somebody of authority in the USPS and explain that my local USPS is misinformed and is "off on their own" as far as shipping MLers. I'm partly to blame because I called as to whether the USPS accepted crates this large and the person on the other end asked me what I was shipping. I told him it was a flintlock rifle and he said that he would have to call somebody to see if it was legal to ship. As luck would have it, this same person was behind the counter and after lifting the crate so he could weigh it, he asked if this contained a gun. I told him that his question wasn't proper but he insisted on an answer. He repeated the question. Finally, because he remembered me calling, I said it was a MLing rifle and it was not classified as a firearm under the 1968 Firearms Act. He said he would have to check. 20 minutes later he and another clerk were looking in a file which took another 10 minutes. He finally attempted to weigh the crate and his computer broke down. Waited 10 minutes for another clerk and after measuring and weighing the crate, she informed me that the only shipping option for firearms was the Parcel Post which would take 10 days to deliver. I explained that this was not classified as a firearm but that didn't register w/ her at all. What recourse do I have seeing I don't want to go through this scenario again.....Fred

Just mailed one out today to NY and it will be there I would say on Wednesday no later than Thursday. :youcrazy:

rebel727 said:
arquebus said:
True, but my point is they (USPS) won't ask what is in the package other than enquiring if it is of a hazardous nature, so why bother with convoluted explanations?

They asked me. Gun I was shipping was a percussion pocket pistol made in 1858 so I saw no reason not to tell them. They flat out refused.

They can't ask, it's against the law. Immediately file a complaint. If you don't you're just making the problem worse. Here's a link to file a complaint about a USPS employee providing poor service. Use it.
USPS contact form

Thanks for the access....just filed a complaint w/ the USPS. Will post their reply......Fred

Rec'd a reply from the USPS informing me that I must personally verify the regulations as regards the shipment of my muzzleloading rifle. They said I should call my local post office for the regulations and also call the BATF for regulations. My local USPS office is the problem and are the ones who questioned and delayed my shipment. Evidently the USPS doesn't have regulations or doesn't want to send them to me, although I requested that they do so. A complete case of "passing the buck"! The next step is contacting Rep. Sensenbrenner {R-WI} and see if he can have the USPS regulations sent to me. He's always been very accommodating and I have rec'd satisfactory responses in the past....Fred

You reap what you sow Fred. Volunteering information to questions they have no legal right to ask is what YOU planted - extra hassle and long delays is what YOU got for doing so.

What I have done when asked what is in a package is politely tell the clerk to go fetch the branch postmaster because I insist on talking to them personally. I will not debate policy with a clerk, and I stand my ground. My only delay in shipping my package, if any (as most clerks will back down), will be waiting for the PM to come up to the counter. Be polite and professional with the PM, state the facts and don’t whine, and you may be pleasantly surprised how quickly you are accommodated. After all, you are a paying customer, paying for a service within their policies and not for a hassle. Either way I still file the complaint noting the clerks name and the PM’s as well if warranted. The USPS will not change unless we change it. After standing your ground a time of two you will be recognized by the clerks and will get service with a smile, and the only questions asked beyond the fragile/perishable chant if any will be about the weather.

You are not doing anything illegal or against USPS regulations and policies, and so have nothing to feel guilty about except letting a clerk push you around.

WA

I was being serviced by the Post Master and after he asked 3 times what was in the crate, I answered that he was asking an improper question. He asked again and I told him it was a flintlock muzzleloading rifle in the hope that things would procede. Finally after 30 mins. he started to process the crate but transferred me to another clerk who was busy and I waited another 10 mins. Now that I think about it, this was a pure case of harrassment. Contacting the USPS through their website was useless because they just avoided the issue by referring me back to the same people who caused the problem. The next time I'll go to another post office using this "new found" knowledge to expedite the shipment. Will post Rep. Sensenbrenner's reply....Fred

flehto said:
Whew! Just shipped a LR through USPS and it wasn't a very pleasant experience and of which I'll be contacting somebody of authority in the USPS and explain that my local USPS is misinformed and is "off on their own" as far as shipping MLers. I'm partly to blame because I called as to whether the USPS accepted crates this large and the person on the other end asked me what I was shipping. I told him it was a flintlock rifle and he said that he would have to call somebody to see if it was legal to ship. As luck would have it, this same person was behind the counter and after lifting the crate so he could weigh it, he asked if this contained a gun. I told him that his question wasn't proper but he insisted on an answer. He repeated the question. Finally, because he remembered me calling, I said it was a MLing rifle and it was not classified as a firearm under the 1968 Firearms Act. He said he would have to check. 20 minutes later he and another clerk were looking in a file which took another 10 minutes. He finally attempted to weigh the crate and his computer broke down. Waited 10 minutes for another clerk and after measuring and weighing the crate, she informed me that the only shipping option for firearms was the Parcel Post which would take 10 days to deliver. I explained that this was not classified as a firearm but that didn't register w/ her at all. What recourse do I have seeing I don't want to go through this scenario again.....Fred

Flehto, I have been shipping pre-1898 guns (reproduction and original, breech and muzzleloaders) through the USPS for years and have only had problems with one local office. They generally know their regulations and they ship accordingly. Look through the USPS regulations on line, the info is there and you will probably find it faster than they can in their book. Make a copy of the paragraphs and make note of the page numbers, etc. of the applicable regulation. Show it to them the next time that you want to ship a gun that the regulations allow and you will breeze through. Unless, of course, the local post master is a complete dolt and refuses due to his/her own personal beliefs - then you can contact the USPS at the next level and get said PM in a great deal of trouble.

Because his/her office is local, complaint first to your Post Master/Mistress. Its there job to supervise employees, and discipline employees who don't follow the rules. Employees are not allowed to make up their own rules.

If the Post Master is the problem, or part of it, then complaint to the Post Master General in Washington, D.C. He's the head guy in charge, and you are likely to get a response from him. If you have to go to the level of Washington, ALWAYS send a copy of your letters to your Congressional Representative, at both his District, and Washington Addresses, and to both your Senators who represent your state. They all have staff hired to do nothing else by field complaints from their constituents. Its called " Constituent service ", by the pols. Some Congressmen are better than others, but it would be a rare day that you strike out with your CONGRESSMAN AND your SENATORS. If you do, the next stop is to visit the editor of the local paper with copies of your complaint letters, the regulations that indicate you are entitled to ship your gun through the Postal Service, and, of course, and correspondence you receive from any of these officials. Don't hesitate to go to your favorite website, like MLF, com. or any of the bloggers, and raise heck through them. Its the squeeky wheel that gets the grease. :rotf: :thumbsup:

I had the unfortunate experience of attempting to ship a Thompson Center Patriot pistol back to Thompson Center, via USPS. The clerk would have nothing to do with it, even if it was not assembled. I told the clerk it was not classified as a firearm. No dice. Next stop was UPS. I shipped machined parts with no trouble. When Thompson sent it back to me, it came via ups, again no trouble. Thompson even advised me to use UPS. It can be a head scratcher...

I got into a spat with a big Rumped anti gun USPS clerk at the local P.O.! After she asked the questions I told Her my Sister almost chocked to death on an Ice Cube, and did she considered an Ice Cube dangerous?? It kinda went downhill from there!!!!! :grin:

Walks Alone said:
You reap what you sow Fred. Volunteering information to questions they have no legal right to ask is what YOU planted - extra hassle and long delays is what YOU got for doing so.

What I have done when asked what is in a package is politely tell the clerk to go fetch the branch postmaster because I insist on talking to them personally. I will not debate policy with a clerk, and I stand my ground. My only delay in shipping my package, if any (as most clerks will back down), will be waiting for the PM to come up to the counter. Be polite and professional with the PM, state the facts and don’t whine, and you may be pleasantly surprised how quickly you are accommodated. After all, you are a paying customer, paying for a service within their policies and not for a hassle. Either way I still file the complaint noting the clerks name and the PM’s as well if warranted. The USPS will not change unless we change it. After standing your ground a time of two you will be recognized by the clerks and will get service with a smile, and the only questions asked beyond the fragile/perishable chant if any will be about the weather.

You are not doing anything illegal or against USPS regulations and policies, and so have nothing to feel guilty about except letting a clerk push you around.

WA

:hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: SO TRUE!

I have also found that when i use (and I use it exclusively now) my LOCAL postal anex the guy knows me and what I am shipping, even helps me package some times and HE decides what is best UPS, USPS, or Fed Ex....I have used them ALL for guns or related parts in the last 6 months.

I just shipped one today as "antique artifact" So Sue me . good smoke, Ron in FL

Just talked w/ the PM of my local post office and was informed that it's mandatory that I reveal the contents of a package if it's an antique firearm or a replica of an antique firearm. If I don't reveal the contents and it's X-rayed and found to be the above, I could be in a lot of legal trouble. This PM called 2 other PMs and this was their conclusion.I was assured that I wouldn't have any further problems shipping my LRs either by parcal post or first class mail if I tell them what it is. I'm still going to pursue this to the end because I think there's some confusion because of the "Aviation Security Act" which prohibits shipping all firearms {including MLers} by air as cargo or so I was told. I think my post office is confused between the ACA and the "1968 Firearms Act". Will post any further news....Fred

Hang in there Fred, in time, even with the wrong people you will hear a distinctive "pop" and it will be their head exiting their arse and all will flow smoothly from then on...

Isn't it amazing that in most of our lifetimes here you could actually order a gun from Sears mail-order and have it shipped to your house, no questions asked?

What an appalling change in the state of things.

flehto:
I think the reason the PM said you must tell them if it is an antique firearm is because it falls under the "restricted" clause of the rules.

Quoting from Bubba45's post:

"...I found this at usps.com :...

Restricted Matter
-A manufacturer of firearms or a bona fide dealer in firearms is one duly licensed ... Registered mail service is recommended Unloaded Antique Firearm. Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are acceptable for mailing."

Note that antique firearms are mentioned in the "RESTRICTED" items.

Then quoting mykeal:

"YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TELL THEM WHAT'S IN THE BOX. IN FACT, THEY CANNOT ASK YOU WHAT'S IN THE BOX - IT'S AGAINST POSTAL REGULATIONS. THEY CAN ASK (AND IT'S ALL THEY CAN ASK) IF IT'S PERISHABLE, HAZARDOUS, FLAMMABLE, FRAGILE OR RESTRICTED. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ANSWER NO! "

Notice the word "RESTRICTED".

Putting the two quotes together results in saying you have to tell them it is an "Unloaded antique arm" and their rules say that they have to ship it.
Telling them this information allows them to use the proper method of transportation (ground only?).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ground only is correct as to what I was told. "Restricted" items include antique and replicated antique firearms and if either is shipped, the contents have to be revealed and declared unloaded again as I was told.This PM is still delving into the matter and will pass on any further info. I have contacted Rep. Sensenbrenner and am awaiting his reply. Also scanned through the 1968 Firearms Act and found the definition of both "ANTIQUE AND REPLICATED ANTIQUE FIREARMS" but didn't find anything asre shipping these items. Very confusing to say the least.....Fred

Back