• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FedEx refused shipment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want it to get "lost", ship it UPS and tell 'em what is in the box.

If you want it to get there in a reasonable amount of time and in one piece, ship those "custom machined metal parts" USPS. :thumbsup:

I have shipped muzzleloaders in the past via USPS with no problems. Someone posted the USPS regulation a while back that governed the shipping. I can't find it right now.

I had a friend living a gun unfriendly state that had luck putting all the metal in one box and wood in another. That way he just had a one box containing machined parts, and another box containing carved wood and could declare it that way with a straight face.

I never had to declare anything... thats what gets me. No one asks.

Ive never had a problem with USPS and shipping long guns modern or ML . The lady here knows what it is and that it is legal to do so. Modern handguns and full auto's are the only ones that arent allowed.

I found this at usps.com :

Search Results

Results for: (POM139.117)

Document(s) Found: 8

Search

Advanced Search
New Search Search These Results

Select a link below to retrieve a search result or use the following search function to refine your inquiry
View by Relevancy View by Name

Results 1 - 8 |
Hide Summaries

3 Hazardous Materials
-Flammable gases in Division 2.1 and nonflammable gases in Division 2.2 are generally permitted if the material can qualify as an ORM-D material and meet the quantity limitations and packaging requirements in 342.3 and 342.4. Propane is a Division 2.1 flammable gas and is acceptable in domestic mail via surface transportation only if it can be reclassified as an ORM-D material. For surface transportation, parcels containing mailable Class 3 materials must be plainly and durably marked on the ...

4 Restricted Matter
-A controlled substance is any narcotic, hallucinogenic, stimulant, or depressant drug identified in Schedules I through V of the Controlled Substances Act in 21 USC 801 and the implementing regulations in 21 CFR 1300. The term "drug" refers to all prescription, nonprescription, and patent medicines and related items such as aspirin, antiseptics, cold remedies, diet pills, and cosmetic medicines that do not contain a controlled substance and are not poisonous drugs or medicines. For ...

4 Restricted Matter
-Any key or manipulation device designed to operate two or more motor vehicle ignition, door, or trunk locks of different combinations, including any pattern, impression, or mold from which a master key or manipulation device can be made (18 USC 1716 and 39 USC 3002). A device or tool (other than a key or a device or tool under 471.2a) designed for bypassing a lock or similar security device, or for opening it by a method normally not used by consumers to open such locks or security devices. A...

4 Restricted Matter
-Sharp instruments include all sharp-pointed or sharp-edged implements such as knives, tools, ice picks, razor blades, stilettos, or similar devices. When uncertain about the mailability of a sharp instrument or a switchblade knife, a ruling may be requested from the local postmaster (see 215.3). A switchblade knife has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle, or by operation of inertia, gravity, or both.

4 Restricted Matter
-A manufacturer of firearms or a bona fide dealer in firearms is one duly licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF), U.S. Department of the Treasury, under the Gun Control Act of 1968. PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, must be completed by each firearm manufacturer or dealer who deposits firearms for mailing. Registered mail service is recommended Unloaded Antique Firearm Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are acceptable for mailing.

-------------------------------------------------

Also if you look at batfe you will find MOSTstates allow a legal individual to ship his personal centerfire firearms to a licensed dealer/smith for work and be returned directly to his home . I've argued several times when trying to deal with the idiots on the phone at UPS . If I need to ship a handgun I just use the online UPS service , the driver never asks about contents when he picks it up !

Last edited by a moderator:
I always use USPS and have never had any problem. As has already been said, just answer their questions and let it go. It's really none of their business what's in the box as long as the object that's in it is legal for sale or transfer.

Spot has it right on.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TELL THEM WHAT'S IN THE BOX. IN FACT, THEY CANNOT ASK YOU WHAT'S IN THE BOX - IT'S AGAINST POSTAL REGULATIONS. THEY CAN ASK (AND IT'S ALL THEY CAN ASK) IF IT'S PERISHABLE, HAZARDOUS, FLAMMABLE, FRAGILE OR RESTRICTED. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ANSWER NO!

I asked a very similar question not long ago, and after reading the responses I came up with a very simple strategy for shipping smokepoles. When they ask what it is, I tell them "it's an antique pole". Oddly enough I never get any additional questions. And it's not a lie. (Just did it yesterday, as a matter of fact, and insured it for a grand.)

What business of theirs is it anyway?

Absolutely!! I work for the USPS & the only questions you should be asked when shipping a package is "Does it contain any hazardous materials?" & "Do you need to buy any stamps?"!!

My advise: don't volunteer any superfluous information.....it may just complicate issues depending on the Clerk you happen to be dealing with. USPS is a great organization, in my opinion the best of its kind in the world, but its in-house training is often lacking. We had a training session one time where a Supervisor told us that it was illegal to mail handguns, period. I had to inform them that it is perfectly legal to mail them as long as it is either a. FFL to FFL, b. to a factory repair facility, or c. a blackpowder or antique firearm.

You can always say engine parts. In engineering terms you are telling the truth. A muzzle loader is a single cylinder, single stroke, non-reciprocating engine.

Dale

Take the barrel and lock off and ship it as assorted parts. I actually got away with shipping a flintlock to Canada with the USPS. They let me ship is since a flintlock is not considered a firearm or something like that. But if I were you I would take it apart and say it is assorted parts.

Good Luck

just had a shipment from montana,gun kit, built it and shipped it to oregon via usps no problem. never was asked anything except hasmat ?'s and if I wanted insurance. yes .
this problem will never go away, I have even had a copy of the BATF rules and had trouble with ups.
try shipping to austraila !! or fedex. it is their company policy but there is no one to talk to about changing the policy.

This is what I do! My wife works for a company that
that has a mailing Dept. She is good friends
of the lady in charge of that dept. She works with
USPS,UPS and Fed-Ex.All 3 deliver items daily,and
pick up items to ship daily. My wife writes a check for the shipping made out to her Co.No one
ask any questions about a shipment.Kinda like
don't ask don't tell.I will hesitate to say what
I have shipped this way.But,it has worked for me
going on 6 years. Don't think I would recomend
this to anyone else,:nono: but it has worked for me.
snake-eyes :hmm:

You can always say engine parts. In engineering terms you are telling the truth. A muzzle loader is a single cylinder, single stroke, non-reciprocating engine.

True, but my point is they (USPS) won't ask what is in the package other than enquiring if it is of a hazardous nature, so why bother with convoluted explanations?

ups will not ship a muzzleloader for me, I won't use them to ship anything because of it. I use the local post office to ship a muzzleloader, I just tell them what is in the package and off it goes. I don't think we should have to lie or make up stories about what is in the package, we aren't doing anything wrong or illegal. They do ask if there is any blackpowder in the box. flinch

arquebus said:
True, but my point is they (USPS) won't ask what is in the package other than enquiring if it is of a hazardous nature, so why bother with convoluted explanations?

They asked me. Gun I was shipping was a percussion pocket pistol made in 1858 so I saw no reason not to tell them. They flat out refused.

Put an extention cord in and ship as a light kit or tape a couple eyes on the barrel and say its a redneck fishin rod.

Well....the "crate" will be taken to the USPS on Monday and hopefully I won't have to answer any questions other than a "no" to "hazardous, inflammatory or liquid mat'ls enclosed?". Somehow I'll be a little nervous and have a feeling of doing something illegal even though I'm doing nothing illegal. I should be madder than hell at this situation....but we'll see what happens.....Fred

It should work out OK Fred, USPS is uually the most accomadating service of the three.Good luck.

Back