• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Field Report: Solid Brass PRB in .58cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, IMO, the smaller ball with thicker patch is the safe way to go, to allow for possible variations in manufacturing tolerances, knowing a ball puller probably won't work if you get one stuck.
And a thicker patch in and of itself won't let a ball get away...just need to make sure it's a good tight fit like you would with any PRB.
If it was me, I would not only order .492" until I absolutely knew about their manufacturing quality control...would order a small batch of each, mic a lot of them to get comfortable with their QC then decide. Maybe try the .472" first with some thick .035"-.040" patches, etc...but that's just me.

If you're going to pursue it, a separate thread would be helpful...start building the findings for a .50cal copper under that sort of a title...

Very interesting. Thanks for your work in putting this together. With the way things are going, this could be very valuable info in the future.

Jeff

My question is whether these would be considered legal in some states as they are ummmmm :stir: "non-expanding".... :stir:

Hockeyref said:
My question is whether these would be considered legal in some states as they are ummmmm :stir: "non-expanding".... :stir:

I asked a couple CA wardens about that. What they said was that the "non-toxic" requirements in CA don't specify an expanding bullet. It just can't have any lead in it. So, here they would be OK.

GW

This WOULD NOT be legal in PA:
Copied from the game law Title 34, Chapter23, Sub chapter B, Section 2322 on the PAGC website.

Sec. 2322. Prohibited devices and methods.
(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title or commission regulation, no person shall hunt, kill or take or attempt, aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt, kill or take any big game, except wild turkey, with any of the following devices or methods:
(1) Any device other than a centerfire or muzzle-loading firearm or bow and arrow.
(2) Any automatic or semiautomatic firearm, except that any semiautomatic firearm modified to permit one shell in the chamber and no more than four shells in a magazine may be used by a person who suffered an amputation or lost the total use of one or both hands.
(3) Any firearm propelling more than one projectile per discharge.
(4) Any projectile which is not all lead or which is not designed to expand on contact.

HMMM Copper...... I wonder how much deformation you would get between say 500fps and 1500 fps?

Back