• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally: new deerhunter made meat!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany!

Today I was outside with my new Ardesa/Traditions deerhunter .45 capper. I sat in a treestand for about 30 min at a baiting when I heared something right from me. I looked and saw a roedoe slowly moving out of the forest in the open always watching carefully. Then it stopped and was overwatching the area for about 5 min. I didn't move too. As the doe guessed everything was all right it moved on slowly. Suddenly a fawn really jumped out of the forest, straight to the baiting. At first it stand broadside, so I aimed, but then it turned round and now stands with the front to me. My stand was 40m away. I waited until it put his head down and made my shot - booom. Through the smoke I saw the fawn breaking down in its tracks and the doe escaping into the forest. I reloaded and watched the dead fawn. It makes one short leg move, but nothing else. After 5 min I went down and checked my hit. The 240 grs maxiball, propelled by 90 grs Wano PP went through the spine between the shoulder blades and exited in the lower belly area. So I got my first ML roe this season. The summer and autumn hunt was full of desasters.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Congratulations. :thumbsup: Sounds like that deer hunter did the trick. I have been looking into building a traditions deer hunter .32 cal kit next winter to hunt rabbit and squirrel with. Only thing is the ones in the U.S. come with fiber optic sights and I want a metal one.

Congrats Kirr, an good shootin! :thumbsup:

but I gotta ask.. :redface: being them roes is so small to start with,,,why the fawn and not wait fer the doe?? I realize it's been a bad year..(trust me on that!) but was jus wonderin why .......can you still go out huntin?

RC said:
Congrats Kirr, an good shootin! :thumbsup:

but I gotta ask.. :redface: being them roes is so small to start with,,,why the fawn and not wait fer the doe?? I realize it's been a bad year..(trust me on that!) but was jus wonderin why .......can you still go out huntin?

Hi RC,

no chanmce to shoot the doe. She was clever enough to send the fawn first and hold herself standing around between the firtrees. Don't mind about the bigness. Meanwhile the fawns, which were already born in may have weights only 2-3 kg less the does.

Regards

Kirrmeister

RC said:
:thumbsup: okie, jus wonderin.....

:hmm:
have weights only 2-3 kg less the does
:idunno: that must not be alot.. :haha: :wink:

The fawn weight 12 kg field dressed, does normally 15-17 kg field dressed. These roedeer are much smaller as your whitetails.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I have some good friends from Norway that hunt the roe deer. They kill whatever animal presents a shot and go days without seeing anything. Some years they go without filling a tag.

A few years back, they came over for a bear hunt in the spring. I took them into the back country for two weeks and they were more amazed at the amount of animals that they saw than they were with the two bears that they killed.

This past fall, they came out to deer hunt and the same thing happened all over again. They were more impressed with hearing wolves howl, watching Ermin/Weasels, being able to pass up shots on does, and knowing that when the time was right, they would kill a buck. They are excellent woodsman and marksmen. Very disciplined and dedicated to the hunt. They were just as enthusiastic on the first day of the hunt as they were on the last. They both made good clean killing shots on their bucks when they decided to squeeze the trigger.

Ironically one day, we were sitting on a ridge top looking over a vast portion of steep country, and I commented on how useless the country was, except to men like us. Their response was...YES, that is why it is still there, untouched! They told me I was a lucky man.

I already knew that I was lucky just to be in their presence. Not so much however to be in my own home country. It just is what it is and I happen to live here.

I got the same kind of response from clients when I guided for elk. They were always impressed with the wildness and vastness of the country. I often take it for granted.

Funny, I get to shoot one deer a year in Idaho unless I draw an extra doe tag. It will take 3 or 4 years for me to accomplish what some hunters get to do in a single year in the eastern portion of the U.S. The ammount of deer that I have killed compared to others on this forum is small.
I often think that I would relish going back east to hunt. I have always been envious of those that get to hunt the eastern hardwoods.

I guess what it all comes down to is that hunting and killing is all relative to the region that you are hunting regardless of the game that you are able to harvest.

Kirrmeister, Good work and you sir are a lucky man to do what you have done with your muzzleloader.

Steve

RC said:

RC, figure 2.2 pounds per kilogram ie: 12k = 26.4 pounds compared to 17k = 37.4 pounds for the doe. For perspective my German Shorthair Pointer weighs 34k or 75 pounds. Roe deer are very small compared to our mid-western whitetails.

John

Snow on the Roof said:
RC said:

RC, figure 2.2 pounds per kilogram ie: 12k = 26.4 pounds compared to 17k = 37.4 pounds for the doe. For perspective my German Shorthair Pointer weighs 34k or 75 pounds. Roe deer are very small compared to our mid-western whitetails.

John

Thank you! that's the part I didn't get..must have metricphobia! them mm's an kg's an litres an stuff scare me,,sound like puter related..over my head!.. 37 pounds? dang they is lil!! :shocked2:

Congratulations Kerr!..Way to stick with the hunt.
Enjoy the back straps..They will be tender!
How do you like your new rifle?
Keep on hunting...Dan

That's an interesting point of view..I think we(Locals) take a lot for granted..I'll bet it was refreshing to get a different perspective.

Hi Kirrmeister,

congratulation and Waidmanns Heil!
It seems that you have some success on the last days ..
i`m curious about the pic`s you made

Klaus :wink:

Hello from Germany!

Thanks for the congrats! I posted the strory in the german WO-forum also. And there some guys made really stupid comments about ML use for hunting like "no hunting rifles, bp and ML that is like middleage, why do you ignore the progress in guns and optics, blablabla...." :barf:

That is why I like this forum much better! :thumbsup:

Regards

Kirrmeister

Back