• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First shots in twenty years!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Phillips

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, after a long hiatus in blackpowder shooting, I was finally able to get a few shots off today. I was unable to find any actual BP, so I had to settle for Pyrodex RS, with Hornady .490 round balls and some T/C prelubed .015 patches and Winchester caps. My gun is a CVA Mountain Stalker .50 caliber carbine, which was last fired just over twenty years ago. My first shot was way off, as I expected after being so used to firing centerfires of late. I didn't think it was too bad for 50 yards. I loaded with 55 grains to start off with, and will work up in small increments until I get a good load figured out. Pics:

GEDC0060-1.jpg

Last shot was off of a bag, so it was closer to being right on, just low (which I attribute to the low powder charge). All in all, I had a great time, and I am certainly glad I had a chance to get my smokepole back out after all this time.

Welcome to the Forum. :)
Glad to have you here.
It sounds like your on the road to a lot of fun. Just don't forget to clean your gun as soon as it is possible after shooting it.

Black powder and Pyrodex both can cause rust in the bore and it happens quite quickly.

Welcome back is right, :grin:
Took Hiatus myself a few years, starving student college stuff, realy sorry I missed those years. But it's like riddin a bike ain't it,,
Times have changed a bit, like forums like this an such, But the draw of ye olde smoke pole is still the same, :thumbsup:

Welcome gtv I did the very same thing about a year ago only maybe I was out of muzzleloading longer than you. I got interested in a underhammer, bought a lock and recycled a few old barrels that I had laying around and am having a ball shooting them kinda a whole new deal for me. Cleaned up a couple flinters today probably won't have time this year but next year they'll get a workout, want to see if I can make them shoot a well as they use to.

Thanks for the reminder about the corrosive tendencies of pyrodex... I do a lot of milsurp shooting with corrosive ammo, so I have gotten used to cleaning my rifles at the range. Back in the day, I used a bucket of hot, soapy water followed up with bore butter. Today I used some Birchwood Casey Muzzle Magic to swab her down, then followed up with some of the ol' Hoppes #9 and Hoppes Elite Gun Oil. What do you all recommend for a good cleaning regimen?

Welcome back, Kotter! :v
Doesn't matter how long it's been, only that you came back, and joined the best BP forum on the planet...bar none!
+1 on Zonie's comments on cleaning after the Pyrodex..you won't have to look far to find the hate-mail on that around here, although I shoot it regularly. The important thing is to clean immediately and oil after you clean. I use Hoppes #9 PLUS Black Powder Solvent and Patch Lube (NOT the smokeless #9 you're used to!)with good results. Many recommend HOT, soapy water but many also complain about rusty bores...which I don't seem to be afflicted with...so I would recommend a thorough scrubbing with #9+ and oiling afterwards (I like Rem Oil, but there are a million different opinions out there)
Good look, and glad to have you back in the fold!

Welcome back - most of us have taken time off sometime during the year but we always come back to smokepoles, either digging them out of the closet or picking up another one. I surely enjoy making sparks and popping caps. btw, this is one great forum you'll enjoy it.

Back