• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Going to Dixon's for a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1st Friday and Saturday in February will be the 18th Century Artisans Show at the Country Cupboard in Lewisburg, Pa (Rt 15 south of Williamsport). This is mostly contemporary builders, parts suppliers, etc.

Last Saturday of January is the Bushy Run Gun Show out near Greensburg. Most of the guns on display are originals! Some are for sale, and there will also be some contemporary builders there.

The last weekend in June(?)will be the KRA Annual Meeting and show near Cranberry, Pa (Pittsburgh). You MUST be a KRA member or pre-registered guest to get in! The vast majority of the guns displayed will be originals with anything from trash to treasure.

I just checked map quest. It is 175 miles to Dixons from my place so maybe later on when there is better daylight and weather. I would guess at least 3 hours drive each way Maybe to take in the fair.

Dixon's is not a huge place but it is a big place, and all blackpowder. I can't even see them talking on the phone through the rack of factory reproductions no less all the custom stuff. But to be fair, ignoring all the originals, there are hundreds, not thousands, of guns and so much other stuff I wouldn't know where to begin. That said...

The time to make a pilgrimage is for The Gunmaker's Fair. Get the schedule of classes and sit in on the ones you like -- open to all. And there are so many custom and semi-custom makers with lotsa selection. Last time I went (Summer before last) there were more built guns at good values than ever.

It really is cool (actually it is usually incredibly hot and dry) perhaps especially if you are a builder at any level -- then you can most appreciate so much. But the fair is as much a gun and accessories art show as anything. I could look at the items submitted for judging, not for sale, for hours -- hell, I do!!!

Oh, and Cabela's in Hamburg is down the road, what, 15 minutes and worth a long stop as well. If you've never been I can't describe it except as Yankee Candle for men!

excess650 said:
1st Friday and Saturday in February will be the 18th Century Artisans Show at the Country Cupboard in Lewisburg, Pa (Rt 15 south of Williamsport). This is mostly contemporary builders, parts suppliers, etc.

Last Saturday of January is the Bushy Run Gun Show out near Greensburg. Most of the guns on display are originals! Some are for sale, and there will also be some contemporary builders there.

The last weekend in June(?)will be the KRA Annual Meeting and show near Cranberry, Pa (Pittsburgh). You MUST be a KRA member or pre-registered guest to get in! The vast majority of the guns displayed will be originals with anything from trash to treasure.

And I just got the card in the mail that Lancaster MLRA's Gun Show is Sat/Sun. Feb. 1&2 at Lancaster Farm & Home Center.

Can someone that knows how, post the link to the You tube of Dixon's. The video is over 7 minutes long and gives you a real idea of what's there.

In Feb. 2004, I made the same trip for the same reason. My kids were grown and I was ready to move up from my TC Hawken to a longrifle. It's well worth the trip, even if you don't find something you like the first time.

I highly recommend the Artisan show at the Country Cupboard in Lewisburg, Jan 31 & Feb 1. Two rooms with contemporary guns, a room with antique guns, and a room with parts & supplies. Dixon's will have a table in the parts room. $5.00 admission, a fine restaurant and a very large gift shop for your wife!

I read more than post, but I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents here, that I live 20 minutes from Dixon's. My dad took me there as a kid, and now my kids tag along when I drop in there.

Yes, I can just drop in when I feel like it. It's nice. :)

The descriptions are pretty good, in that it's just not feasible to get an "inventory" from them on the phone. The rifles hanging from the ceiling are semi-custom, made by local builders for consignment sale (usually). When I was last there about a month ago, he had an Allen Martin rifle (oddly VERY similar to what I'm patiently waiting my turn for with Mr. Martin as well!) hanging by the doorway to the back room, but I don't think it was for sale?

Most of the rifles on the hooks in the ceiling run $1500-$2000, if I remember correctly. Greg told me a while ago that he usually tries to keep them to Lancaster rifles, as he feels they fit more people than do the Berks and Lehigh styles.

And I will also echo that if you're going to drive a long distance, come in the summer and attend the gunmaker's fair. You can see the shop, but also see all the many, many, many other things that are set up. My kids love going to that one, too. :)

Rusty Nail---Nailed it---Dixon's UTube, you got it, thanks. Seven minutes of store video, for all those interested

Love Mike Beliveau. However...

...his videos on Ft. Frederick and, unfortunately, on Dixon's Gunmaker's Fair are G'awful! After watching them I don't think people would be inclined to go to either and have shared that with him...

His videos, while well meaning, fall very, very, short in capturing the breadth, depth, and color of these almost indescribable venues.

I do not know how many hours-long a video on these would have to be to give a comprehensive overview of these events that might do them justice but it would be hours, not minutes.

As awful as you think his video, at least you could see a little bit of something. The times that I've been there it was so :cursing: crowded that you almost couldn't see anything.

That "little bit" is counterproductive -- that little bit would keep me away if I didn't already know what was going on. Yes, it's crowded. Not because of what the video shows.

You cannot see everything there in a couple of hours any more than you can get a sense of the Fair in that few minutes of video -- I'm just saying.

excess650 said:
I KNOW that a .54 flintlock early Lancaster was just dropped off at Fort Chambers. The builder said it was a nice piece of wood (nice stripe and color)but no patchbox. He didn't know what they were going to ask for it...

This particular rifle has alreay been sold! Someone here?

It wasn't the fair video, I was referring to, it's the other link Rusty Nail, posted the link to. It is a video, of someone inside Dixon's gun shop.

Oh, OK -- that's not Duelist's. Yes, Rusty's linl to the store video was pretty good and gives you an idea of, well, what's in store at the store ('cept for all the people during the Fair -- including workers -- wow). LOL

Now, how would you describe the fairgrounds that Dixon's becomes when they have the Gunmaker's Fair? We really need an aerial photo of it when it's underway and a video that goes down every aisle of every pavillion tent from end to end and side to side including the gunmaker's parking lot and campers al the way past the outhouses and washstation to the end of the customer's parking lot in the meadow.

Forget the classes, the blacksmith, the livivng history folk presentation on the hill shooting period arms, throwing 'hawks, etc...

Three hours just to do a first pass, to see everything once, including the store itself, without touching much, maybe?

Whaddya think!?

I need an expensive icey homemade lemonade just thinking about it!!!

The fair was supposed to be a "builders fair", although, a lot of finished products shows up. There are wood blanks for rifles, pistols, walking sticks, hawk handles, et. I saw a lot of locks, flints, and rifle hardware. There are horns piled up, knee deep. It looks a lot like an art festival. But the best deals are more than often inside the store. Videos, of the fair, and places like Tip Curtis's shop, and the shop at Chambersburg, would be good for the owners and those that want to visit.
Top artist in the traditional muzzleloading community, are at the fair. Tip Curtis had a whole tent full of rifles in the white. Not to mention all the accessories he had. I was in that one tent, for a least an hour, maybe more.

The lemonade is fantastic. I had a couple both days.

hadden west said:
The lemonade is fantastic. I had a couple both days.

Good, yes, and a tradition like buying the Chocolate Milk at Pennsic, but that's another story...

Last Dixon's I brought a case-holding-cooler full of wet stuff and a sleeve of little bags of reduced-fat potato chips knowing it really is the-better-part-of-a-day to visit. But then again I took three friends with me and was playing host...

Back