• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR .54 Flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks.

Maybe I should have been a little clearer in my question.

Is this

A) a one time change (e.g. GPR percussion lock is different shape than GPR flint lock and would require additional inlet work)

or

B) is a GPR flint lock a drop-in fit to a GPR percussion gun - everything the same shape and you could easily switch back and forth between perc and flint at will?

I don't see much point in permanently converting a GPR - cheaper/easier to just buy another gun. This thread did get me interested in the possibility of one convertable rifle, though.

According to Lyman it is a drop in change. Both lock plates are the same shape and fit the same mortice. You do know that the GPR has a coil mainspring, and the L&R replacement lock has a leaf spring? You will need to remove a little wood in the lock mortise to allow the leaf spring to fit, but from what i have heard, it isn't that big a deal. :m2c:

The 7/8" flints did not work. I could not close the frizzen all the way. It did hit the upper 3/4 of the frizzen though.

Guess it's a L&R lock. $125.00 damn......

damn rights, it is a good deal and well worth the money. my L&R lock was a little too strong and broke flints too fast{only 2-3 shots}so i GENTLY squeezed the mainspring with a pair of vicegrips a little bit then left it cocked for 2-3 days and now it is amazeing how long a flint will last plus a huge shower of sparks. i dont know if i would recomend this to others but it worked for me.

I think I am going to shoot mine as is for a while longer and hope like River rat it gets better with age. If not I guess I'll plunck down the cash for a L&R.
Old Charlie

OK, I ordered the L&R Lock. Now, what do I do with the Lyman Flintlock? It has been shot about 30 times. Does it have any value? Where can I sell it at, besides eBay? ::

Latest posts

Back