• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

harper ferry (modified cock)at 25 meters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flibuste

36 Cal.
Reaction score
hello,

This pistol is known for a "bashing lock" and one remedy is modifying the cock to obtain a better geometry ; the cock has been cut, bent and welded and now it works

If anyone could insert pics of a normal HP pistol lock, the comparison would be more effective.

harper13.jpg

harper10.jpg

harper12.jpg

Looks like a nice weld and coloring job on the cock. Where and what sort of cut was made?

It looks great ! nice job! I think you may benefit from a slightly longer flint ///
as it is now the top jaw look might close to the frizzen...but I suppose it is working for you!
...I am from WEST VIRGINIA....it make me wonder why the cock was notdesigned back then as you have done...???

flib--Nice! Are you contracting out your services? hahaha.

Yea, the stock Harper's Ferry hammer is a pure flint masher and not good for much else.

You did nice work and I really don't mean to be a wet blanket but this is something that comes up often. Modifying the cock does not alter the geometry of the lock. Merely pointing the flint downward could be more easily accomplished by just inserting a shim under the rear of the flint but it doesn't change the geometry. It is not the angle of the flint that makes a basher, although that is what is apparent. It is how the arch of the flint intersects the face of frizzen that maters. To correct a "basher" one would need to move the tumbler up and rearward or the frizzen down and forward. You still have a basher, just one which bashes the flint differently.

Hi Coyote Joe,

You are probably right but this modification is beyond my capability ; the modification of the cock is quite easy and improves a lot the pistol

Regards

Seems to me that all is needed is for ONE OPTION is: 1) hacksaw
2) plumbers torch
3) solder
and TIME.

I'd prefer to have a decent looking result. Now if someone actually sold modified cocks, that'd be perfect.

Decades ago I bought an 1807 from DIxie, & it came with a truly horrendous lock; gooseneck cock, even. I ordered an 1807 Harper's Ferry lock from somewhere, wish I could recall where, & replaced the junk lock. The new lock does a good scrape on the frizzen & the geometry is fine. Sometimes you have to just "start over".

I have the same pistol made by Pedersoli. The flint strikes the frizzen in a nice arc, allowing the flint to scrape on the frizzen.

Hello crazymurf

You are quite lucky ! would you mind posting photos of the lock ?

Thanks

Back