• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How bad does the roundball deflect on brush?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I HATE trying to shoot through brush and normally cut shooting lanes in my favorite sitting spot. However like others have stated...the closer the brush is to the target, the less it will deflect. I'm not afraid to shoot through light brush if the deer is is 5 to 10 foot away from the brush.

Deflection is a function of mass. A 300 gr round ball will deflect about as much as a 300 gr conical.

But I would emphasize you best option is to pass on anything but clear shots. NOTHING will punch through brush undeflected to some extent.

shifty said:
I don't think any bullet is a so called brush buster, I found that out as a kid with a 35 Rem,I missed a big buck 3 times at about 60yds ,hit small brush each shot, so that is why I have passed on so many not clear shots because even with a clear shot there cans till be small twiggs i can't see.
35 rem is a great round. And your 100% right no gun is a brush buster well maybe machine guns.

I was shootin my 54 last October and clipped the top strand of the eletrick fence and it caused the shot to go 7 inches high and way left .I was shootin at 25 yards usin a rest and the rifle is accurate so I think its too risky no matter how big the game is .They deserve better than that .imho.Curt

the deer i missed a few weeks ago was due to me hitting a small sweetgum limb about halfway to the deer. the limb was no bigger than a cigarette and when the ball hit the limb the ball dropped about 8 inches.

Back